Case Western Master's in Medical Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cal56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like anyone has started a new thread for this year. This program seems pretty interesting given the resources available with Case Western, University Hospital, and the Cleveland Clinic all within walking distance. Is there anyone who has finished or is currently in the program that could comment on pro's and con's of the program? I've been living in Cleveland most of my life and I know there can be mixed opinions about the city, but personally I love it here! Good luck to everyone that decides to apply!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm also very interested in this program. Started my application and will be taking the GRE relatively soon. I'm also from NE Ohio so am looking forward to the potential of doing this program!

The only big concern I have is the cost. Based on your research are there sufficient federal loans to cover a ~$50,000 program such as this?

I was part of the first class for this program (2011-2012). I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone might have about it, given that its been a few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm also very interested in this program. Started my application and will be taking the GRE relatively soon. I'm also from NE Ohio so am looking forward to the potential of doing this program!

The only big concern I have is the cost. Based on your research are there sufficient federal loans to cover a ~$50,000 program such as this?
Yeah I understand the cost really isnt cheap but I had no problems getting federal loans. Case also has a monthly payment plan set up so Im doing a bit of each. But I havent heard of anyone having problems getting the loans they need.

I was part of the first class for this program (2011-2012). I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone might have about it, given that its been a few years.
Hey man I see your status says medical student im glad to see the program worked for you congrats. Im a current first year in the program and loving it and hopefully it works for me too lol

Hey everyone,

Has anyone applied and heard back from the program yet? My application was complete eight days ago, and I hear they have very quick turnaround time. I have yet to hear back!!

Did you take one or two years to complete the program? Also, can you give us an idea of your timeline in terms of when, in the program, you applied to med school?

I did the program in one year, took histology + lab first semester, and embryology alongside the independent study during my second semester.

Timeline? I've applied three times, haha. I applied once before the program ('10/11), once in the year following finishing it ('12/13) and finally got in this cycle ('14/15). There were some other issues with my app beyond academics, but the Masters was a great way to boost my GPA and illustrate my candidacy. Its definitely not a walk in the park, particularly taking the shelf exam (if they're still using it).

I did the program in one year, took histology + lab first semester, and embryology alongside the independent study during my second semester.

Timeline? I've applied three times, haha. I applied once before the program ('10/11), once in the year following finishing it ('12/13) and finally got in this cycle ('14/15). There were some other issues with my app beyond academics, but the Masters was a great way to boost my GPA and illustrate my candidacy. Its definitely not a walk in the park, particularly taking the shelf exam (if they're still using it).

Their site says that the two year program is standard. What factors did you find contributed to your ability/permission to do it in 1 year? Did you literally do 2 semesters or did you do a summer as well? Thanks!

I literally did two semesters. At that point, it was considered viable by the administrators, so (I think) 6 people in my class did the same thing. Afterwards, the feedback was that it was too rough, so they changed the marketing of it to encourage people to take the full two years.

It was definitely very difficult, especially working part time for housing to help defray the cost. I would not recommend taking that route, it was motivated on my end towards having the second year to apply and make use of a good MCAT score taken the year prior. Its also not something where you can say that you challenged yourself to do that- many programs like it are 1 year as well (by design), and there isn't a non-conceited way to phrase it in interviews. What contributed to success in doing it that way was not getting too close with the students who were on the two-year timeframe, having a supervisor in housing who was understanding of the workload, and putting in the needed time. Still (full disclosure), it took a toll on my health- I gained 30 lbs that year and towards the end had stress hives (I'm not allergic to anything that I know of). That being said, I don't want to freak people out.

That being said, I'm really glad that I did it the way that I did for my timeframe, because it allowed me to do AmeriCorps the year after, and because it worked out in the end. :soexcited:

Recently accepted and looking forward to start the program! Planning to take advantage of the Research Assistant, 2 year track to help avoid tuition costs and continue research. Has anyone accomplished the master's thesis that is available through this program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Recently accepted and looking forward to start the program! Planning to take advantage of the Research Assistant, 2 year track to help avoid tuition costs and continue research. Has anyone accomplished the master's thesis that is available through this program?

Congrats!!

Exact same plan here pending acceptance. I am visiting soon - looking forward to it!

Brootas your crazy for doing it in one year lol but good for you man and yes we still take the shelf exam (AHHHHH! Studying for it now) But were much more prepared for it (kaplan book and access to online resources, multiple practice exams, and multiple review sessions every week...) Also cal congrats on being accepted you'll love the program and yes the 2nd year of research is very intriguing but wait there's more lol There is allot of options for second years now like "Degree focus" and tons of electives. They basically tell you doing it in one years is suicide and I believe them, the core curriculum is more than enough to keep you busy not to mention the countless extracurricular activities (Clinical research, basic science research, shadowing doctors, volunteering...) that you should be doing to really build a full application. rwpearce when do you plan on visiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Brootas your crazy for doing it in one year lol but good for you man and yes we still take the shelf exam (AHHHHH! Studying for it now) But were much more prepared for it (kaplan book and access to online resources, multiple practice exams, and multiple review sessions every week...) Also cal congrats on being accepted you'll love the program and yes the 2nd year of research is very intriguing but wait there's more lol There is allot of options for second years now like "Degree focus" and tons of electives. They basically tell you doing it in one years is suicide and I believe them, the core curriculum is more than enough to keep you busy not to mention the countless extracurricular activities (Clinical research, basic science research, shadowing doctors, volunteering...) that you should be doing to really build a full application. rwpearce when do you plan on visiting?

Feb 18. Dr. Romani mentioned having lunch with some students so perhaps I'll see you!

Thats awesome, he will probably put you with some second years but im sure you'll love it and ill keep my eyes open for you lol

Last edited:
Just received my acceptance today, very excited! I look forward to the program and I am planning to visit soon.

Reactions: 1 users
In all honesty, I wish someone had talked me out of it, but who knew at that point? I'm glad there's more prep now, it was way to intense the first year and we had about a week to prepare. I was quite happy with my grade, others weren't. I will say that, difficulty aside, its one of the best experiences in the course because it gives you an idea of the pacing of those kinds of exams, and how medical students think about signs/symptoms.

The main reason I wasn't totally overwhelmed is because I was quite happy with the research I did as an undergrad at CWRU, so I forwent it for grad school. I also pushed the clinical stuff (shadowing, AmeriCorps, working at a hospital, etc) to the years following the program.

In all honesty, I wish someone had talked me out of it, but who knew at that point? I'm glad there's more prep now, it was way to intense the first year and we had about a week to prepare. I was quite happy with my grade, others weren't. I will say that, difficulty aside, its one of the best experiences in the course because it gives you an idea of the pacing of those kinds of exams, and how medical students think about signs/symptoms.

The main reason I wasn't totally overwhelmed is because I was quite happy with the research I did as an undergrad at CWRU, so I forwent it for grad school. I also pushed the clinical stuff (shadowing, AmeriCorps, working at a hospital, etc) to the years following the program.
O I see and thats good to hear about the shelf exam, now they give us two weeks off before the exam and allot more "study days" during the weeks leading up to it. And congrats sdml!

Last edited:

I'm starting to think that this is the program I'll be at next year. The one thing I'd like to hear from you is this: Based on your time in Case Western, what are the things about the MS in medical physiology that you didn't lik. What are the negative sides of the program?

Also, what are the things you wished you knew when you started the program, that you found out later?

Can people post their stats who have been accepted into the program? I was banking on getting in but I was complete end of Jan and have yet to hear back.

3.0sGPA/3.3cGPA/311GRE

Just accepted earlier today! I am strongly considering this program compared to the others I have been accepted to. Anyone else thinking of attending?

Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far, and good luck to all the other applicants! I'm a first year in the program and am happy to answer any questions.

Some thoughts I think are worth sharing:
- I know so much more physiology right now than I will EVER need to know as a physician. However, this is going to make first year med school so much easier!!
- The class is significantly bigger than I expected it to be, I was expecting maybe 80 students and we actually have over 120.
- Your advisors are faculty in the Physiology and Biophysics department, I happen to have great ones but that is not the case for everyone. I think size of the class plays into this, they have to recruit more and more people to be advisors.
- Your grades are based off the Block exams (~ 5 per semester) and weekly quizzes (for the main class), and exams are curved with a "difficulty factor" to bring the class average to a passing grade.
- Plan to devote some time to volunteering/shadowing/research/ect. get this in the works early, you're going to be competing for spot with not only everyone in the program but also a whole university of undergrads. Also, its easy to get really bogged down in the class work if you don't set up a reasonable schedule from the start.
- Speaking of the "hidden curriculum", wow! There are SO MANY ways to get involved! The location of this program is prime for anything you could possibly be interested in. To name a few- Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital, Rainbow Babies, VA Hospital, Free Clinic, Ronald McDonald House, lots of research (obviously) are all within walking/shuttle ride distance from school.
- You are strongly discouraged from completing the program in a year. A lot of students are working on the 18 month option (take a class in the summer and graduate in December). Many others will complete the whole program before applying to their professional program of choice (meaning you still have a gap-year to fill).
- There are "Areas of Concentration" available in areas such as Nephrology, Bioethics, Clinical Research, Clinical Neurology, ect if you want to do a little specialization without switching to a full blown Plan A Masters (research).
- The average age of the class is much younger than I expected, around 22. I'm in the small minority between 24-40.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far, and good luck to all the other applicants! I'm a first year in the program and am happy to answer any questions.

- I know so much more physiology right now than I will EVER need to know as a physician. However, this is going to make first year med school so much easier!!
- The class is significantly bigger than I expected it to be, I was expecting maybe 80 students and we actually have over 120.
- Your advisors are faculty in the Physiology and Biophysics department, I happen to have great ones but that is not the case for everyone. I think size of the class plays into this, they have to recruit more and more people to be advisors.
- Your grades are based off the Block exams (~ 5 per semester) and weekly quizzes (for the main class), and exams are curved with a "difficulty factor" to bring the class average to a passing grade.
- Plan to devote some time to volunteering/shadowing/research/ect. get this in the works early, you're going to be competing for spot with not only everyone in the program but also a whole university of undergrads. Also, its easy to get really bogged down in the class work if you don't set up a reasonable schedule from the start.
- Speaking of the "hidden curriculum", wow! There are SO MANY ways to get involved! The location of this program is prime for anything you could possibly be interested in. To name a few- Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital, Rainbow Babies, VA Hospital, Free Clinic, Ronald McDonald House, lots of research (obviously) are all within walking/shuttle ride distance from school.
- You are strongly discouraged from completing the program in a year. A lot of students are working on the 18 month option (take a class in the summer and graduate in December). Many others will complete the whole program before applying to their professional program of choice (meaning you still have a gap-year to fill).
- There are "Areas of Concentration" available in areas such as Nephrology, Bioethics, Clinical Research, Clinical Neurology, ect if you want to do a little specialization without switching to a full blown Plan A Masters (research).
- The average age of the class is much younger than I expected, around 22. I'm in the small minority between 24-40.

I have a quick question! I've been accepted to the program and I'm really considering it. One thing I read about the curriculum is that the class average on exams is curved so that the median grade is an 85%. An A in the course is a minimum of 85%. Median means in the middle, so does that mean that half of the class gets a grade of 85% or higher on each exam? It sounds too good to be true, I think I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading. Would you please explain!

I have a question to those accepted. How long did it take for you to find out about your acceptance? and if you applied to other programs, which ones (if you don't mind saying)?

I have a quick question! I've been accepted to the program and I'm really considering it. One thing I read about the curriculum is that the class average on exams is curved so that the median grade is an 85%. An A in the course is a minimum of 85%. Median means in the middle, so does that mean that half of the class gets a grade of 85% or higher on each exam? It sounds too good to be true, I think I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading. Would you please explain!
That was how it worked when I was there. And yes, its a bit inflated, but the general consensus on graduate programs is that the grades are a bit inflated anyway. Most schools won't average GPAs because of this. Additionally, you'll be taking nearly half your credit hours (12/30) outside of the department, where they don't curve the same way.

That was how it worked when I was there. And yes, its a bit inflated, but the general consensus on graduate programs is that the grades are a bit inflated anyway. Most schools won't average GPAs because of this. Additionally, you'll be taking nearly half your credit hours (12/30) outside of the department, where they don't curve the same way.

What do you mean by the grades are a bit inflated? Is that good for me or bad for me?

Where are those admitted planning on living? I have no idea where to even look!

This is true. It varies a bit by exam because the "difficulty factor" awarded on each exam is an average of the previous three years scores. So, it does result in some students scoring over 100%, hence the "inflated" scores, but your actual percentage is recorded in the committee letter of recommendation. Basically it helps out your GPA, but med schools will know if your A was an 85% or 105%. I'll be honest, the DF has saved my GPA twice. You also have a way to fight questions on exams so sometimes poorly written/inaccurate questions will be thrown out, further effecting scores.

Where are those admitted planning on living? I have no idea where to even look!

I highly recommend Little Italy and Cleveland Heights. There is a shuttle that runs at all hours which is god-send when its -15 out! East Cleveland and the north side of campus can be a little on the sketchy side. If you look at the map, our building is on the corner of Circle Drive and Cornell, in the School of Medicine, which has its own library. I pretty much never leave that edge of campus.

http://www.case.edu/access-services/media/caseedu/access-services/images/shuttle-map_2014-15.png

If this is a 2 year program, how much total debt do students normally accumulate? I'm very interested in the program, but the price tag scares me.

The CWRU website lists the cost at nearly $50,000 for the 2 year program, not including living expenses or fees. Very difficult to justify.

I submitted my application. It's an expensive program, but there are so many things about it I really like so I'd be extremely grateful to be a part of this class.

If this is a 2 year program, how much total debt do students normally accumulate? I'm very interested in the program, but the price tag scares me.

For tuition &fees, health insurance, and grad student gym membership my bill for the first year was just under 32,000. This doesn't include living expenses, but in general Cleveland is cheap.

I just got my acceptance here today! Still waiting on some other schools but I really like this program. For anyone wondering about turnaround time, mine was really fast. App Complete: 3/25 Accepted: 4/9

I got my acceptance today! App marked complete on 4/14 and accepted on 4/16. I'm still waiting to see if I get into Cincinnati, but I'll probably be taking this one if I get rejected from Cinci.

Hi guys- new poster. I was just accepted to this program yesterday. What's everybody doing for housing? I hear Little Italy is the best place to live but it's been difficult to find listings online, at least for one bedrooms. Is anyone looking for a roommate to rent a place with? I also have a cat.

Last edited:
Hi guys- new poster. I was just accepted to this program yesterday. What's everybody doing for housing? I hear Little Italy is the best place to live but it's been difficult to find listings online, at least for one bedrooms. Is anyone looking for a roommate to rent a place with? I also have a cat.
Congratulations! How long did it take you to get your acceptance?

Accepted! And it's one of my favorite programs too! :D

So I'm a little late to the game, but I have my entire application complete just waiting for everyone to complete the recommendations. However, I am thinking about retaking the GRE, because I think I have a good enough score to get in but I'm not sure. (311 total but my verbal at 50th percentile) GPA is a 3.6c 3.5s. Since they haven't updated their online stats, I don't know if thats competitive enough. Would advice me to retake it or I'll be okay?

If anyone else could answer my question as well, please let me know :)

So I'm a little late to the game, but I have my entire application complete just waiting for everyone to complete the recommendations. However, I am thinking about retaking the GRE, because I think I have a good enough score to get in but I'm not sure. (311 total but my verbal at 50th percentile) GPA is a 3.6c 3.5s. Since they haven't updated their online stats, I don't know if thats competitive enough. Would advice me to retake it or I'll be okay?

If anyone else could answer my question as well, please let me know :)
You'll be fine. I had 159 Verbal and 152 Q, Quant was below 50th percentile and I was accepted with a lower GPA. Don't waste time/money and put the money toward major MCAT prep.

You'll be fine. I had 159 Verbal and 152 Q, Quant was below 50th percentile and I was accepted with a lower GPA. Don't waste time/money and put the money toward major MCAT prep.
That helps a lot. Thank you!

I recently emailed Case Western to ask about placement record, and this is what they told me:

Dear BurntFlower,
our records indicate that
2011 class: 83% of the graduated students are now in medical and dental schools
2012 class: 75% of the graduated students are now in medical and dental schools
2013 class: ~50% of the class graduated by Dec 2014 (the last 42 students graduated last week and are applying this cycle): of those who graduated,by Fall
2104 ~45% is now in medical and dental school:
2014 class: 4 students have already been accepted. About 12-14 of the enrolled students will graduate by August 2015 and are also applying now.

Any thoughts?

Glad I found this thread! I am an accepted student strongly considering the 1 yr accelerated route because I don't want to take more than a yr off of the medical school path. Please is there anyone that did it successfully??