CARs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhoot7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling on the CARs section. I'm using MCAT 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning and am going way over on time like 10 minutes. I have always gotten extra time on tests. Any advice to improve my timing? Also any good resources that you would recommend? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling on the CARs section. I'm using MCAT 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning and am going way over on time like 10 minutes. I have always gotten extra time on tests. Any advice to improve my timing? Also any good resources that you would recommend? Thanks!

It might be helpful if you explained a little more about how you're approaching the passages; do you re-read, make notes, look at questions 1st, etc...?

Reactions: 1 user

When are you taking the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried the TPRH verbal book? I have it and it is PACKED with many passages with ranging difficulty. For strategy I'd recommend EK verbal prep book. I hate them so much when I read the book (they are so annoying, like they're a bunch of know-it-alls) but I have to admit their strategy works but it takes a bit of effort to get used to. So for practice TPRH and for strategy EK.

It might be helpful if you explained a little more about how you're approaching the passages; do you re-read, make notes, look at questions 1st, etc...?

I have tried re-reading but I always go over time then by a lot. I have also tried making notes of like 5 words and looking at the questions first. Right now I'm trying to find the best resources to use to practice the CARs passages. Any advice on more techniques? I just purchased the MCAT 101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning.

Have you tried the TPRH verbal book? I have it and it is PACKED with many passages with ranging difficulty. For strategy I'd recommend EK verbal prep book. I hate them so much when I read the book (they are so annoying, like they're a bunch of know-it-alls) but I have to admit their strategy works but it takes a bit of effort to get used to. So for practice TPRH and for strategy EK.

What Princeton review verbal do you recommend? I purchased exam krackers MCAT 101 ppassages in MCAT verbal reasoning. What is the other book called? What strategies do you recommend trying? I wanted to purchase the hyperlearning series for practice but it is very expensive. Thanks!

What Princeton review verbal do you recommend? I purchased exam krackers MCAT 101 ppassages in MCAT verbal reasoning. What is the other book called? What strategies do you recommend trying? I wanted to purchase the hyperlearning series for practice but it is very expensive. Thanks!

PM me and I can send you something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting really frustrated. My reading comprehension has always really struggled and I've taken a speed reading course before. I usually get extended time on tests and have test anxiety. I've tried all the techniques.