Carolinas Medical Center Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about this new residency program? Large hospital, great area, new 66 bed Psychiatric Hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that we're toward the end of interview season, what are people's impressions and thoughts on this program? I (fortunately and unfortunately) received two last minute interview invites for the same day (this and another program) and have to decide which to keep and which to cancel. Would greatly appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious what the schedule will be like since they are new and have one class? For anyone that interviewed here, did they talk about that?

I really liked my interview at Carolinas Medical Center!! Charlotte seems like a nice place to live. The faculty took us out to an amazing dinner the night before the interview. The hospital system is huge with many established and reputable residency programs. The hospital can definitely support a psychiatry residency-- the psych units at CMC Charlotte and Davidson are large (I think Davidson has 66 beds & Charlotte has 20 C+A beds and 50-60? adult beds). ECT site nearby too. There are plenty of resources to get training in any and all fields of psychiatry. This program will not be resident dependent (was made clear that they functioned for years and years without residents just fine) and therefore residents are there to learn. All of the sites are very close to each other except for an 8 week experience at the Salisbury VA to work with PTSD patients (likely for 1st years... is 1 hour away). They recruited for 3 residents this year and plan to expand by 1 resident per year. At the time of my interview, call had not yet been determined. I really liked the PD, APD and all of the faculty members. PD and APD are extremely invested in this program and resident success. Not to mention they were really cool and easy to talk to. All faculty had thoroughly reviewed my application and were excited to interview me. I got a great vibe from this program. The only reason I didn't rank it higher was because it's brand new and there were still a lot of things that had to be figured out. That being said, I think this program is going to be absolutely awesome and if you don't mind being in the 2nd class, I'd definitely suggest interviewing here!

Reactions: 1 users