Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caroline_mend

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. A long time lurker of the forums too. I am a US IMG , big 4 Carib 2015 grad, with step 1/ step 2ck /cs score of 250+/250+/ first attempt. Planning to apply for psych.

I recently visited Roanoke/ Blacksburg region in relation to an assignment of my fiance at Virginia Tech. The people around there had high opinion about Carilion. The town of Roanoke and surrounding areas are beautiful and laidback.

Could the members give their views on Carilion Clinic's psychiatry residency program as I hope to apply there in the future. I don't see much views/opinions/experiences of the program in the forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I interviewed here during this recent match. So this is solely my opinion based off the interview. The pd was really nice. I liked the way she talked to people and handled herself and found her to be very personable. The residents I interacted with seemed pretty good. I mainly talked to one of the interns and he was a great guy, very chill. I liked the attendings that I met. The interview hotel and dinner was the best one out of the 9 I went to lol.

Really the only two things that held me back from ranking it higher was the location (for me it was far away from things kind of isolated) and it seemed a bit work heavy? But again that's a total gut feel/guess as I could be way off. I mean overall i would say I had a positive experience with the program. The people seemed less way less pretentious then certain other interviews.

Overall I would have been cool with matching here. I didn't really have anything I didn't like if I recall. I can't really give you a residents perspective tho, just my interview experience. Feel free to pm with questions

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do a
Hey I interviewed here during this recent match. So this is solely my opinion based off the interview. The pd was really nice. I liked the way she talked to people and handled herself and found her to be very personable. The residents I interacted with seemed pretty good. I mainly talked to one of the interns and he was a great guy, very chill. I liked the attendings that I met. The interview hotel and dinner was the best one out of the 9 I went to lol.

Really the only two things that held me back from ranking it higher was the location (for me it was far away from things kind of isolated) and it seemed a bit work heavy? But again that's a total gut feel/guess as I could be way off. I mean overall i would say I had a positive experience with the program. The people seemed less way less pretentious then certain other interviews.

Overall I would have been cool with matching here. I didn't really have anything I didn't like if I recall. I can't really give you a residents perspective tho, just my interview experience. Feel free to pm with questions
Although there's an airport, I do agree getting in and out isn't easy.

Any idea about the programs overall reputation and training?

Interestingly enough, i actually drove there (and I'm far away) to save money. The drive was brutal lol, i think that may have been what gave me a negative mindset about the location, plus it was abnormally cold there, like very, very cold. And I'm not used to that. Plus I'm TERRIFIED of heights and when i saw i was driving on those mountains all i could think was "omg omg its really pretty but I'm too terrified to appreciate it".

As far as the training, the residents seemed confident in their training. The hospital was nice, IMO. I really got the feel that attending were involved and cared about resident education

As far as reputation, not sure on that. Oldpsychdoc, shikima, and the other more knowledgable people would have to tell you about that one

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed there several years ago, my impressions were the same as previous posters who have been there recently. I thought it is a solid program. Beautiful area.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a 4th year rotation there around 5 years ago. Agree with everyone else, the PD is fantastic. The adult inpatient docs I worked with I really liked as well. The biggest down side for me was the VA rotations (if this is still how it is there), of which there are a significant amount (maybe too many, unless that's a goal of yours). The VA is very, very old, seems almost haunted-like, and I didn't really like the attendings there when I met them briefly on interview day, seemed kind of cold-ish(?). The other big downside was that quality of the didactics. Like, I remember one day, they had a lecture provided by speakerphone (no powerpoint or anything) from one of the VA docs, and all the residents were just staring at their phones while this guy droned on on the speakerphone and it was hard to understand him anyways. I've also heard from a couple people that people don't love the child inpatient unit, but a big grain of salt on that one as this can be very person dependent and maybe they just didnt' like child. I agree with your assessment that it's pretty isolated from other cities, though there's a cheap airline (Allegiant, I think) that flies out of the Roanoke Airport that gets you to some weird cities VERY cheap. Like, scary cheap. Roanoke to St Pete for $19 each way kind of cheap. Stupid cheap. Plane will fall apart cheap.

Overall, I think it'd be a fine place, but it wouldn't be my first choice for location and educational reasons. That being said, the people were nice and I'm sure there are worse places to spend residency. Plus, things might have changed significantly in the last 5 years.