Caribbean Schools that accept Osteopathic Credits.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msuspartans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been dismissed during 3 year, recently from an Osteopathic school due to COMLEX. I may consider transferring to an offshore Caribbean medical school to continue rotations. The top 4 doesn't accept Osteopathic medical school credits so they are out. They offered to start from the beginning but I'd never do that (I had the same offer from Osteopathic schools). A few lower tier Caribbean schools would accept a full transfer. I would like to know if the other Caribbean schools would accept them without spending money on their application (which a lot of them required). If any of you know's anything pls let me know (PM me) if you have additional questions.

Members don't see this ad.

You had DO schools offer a brand new start? Seems like a better option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Not an accepted offer but to apply and start off new. I won't spend another 150k on medical school that I have successfully completed. I know you don't know the entire story and I truly apologize. I have been going thru a lot of events in the past few years starting at the end of my second year (during the time I had to study for boards). It was hard and I ended up being diagnosed with something I am currently being treated for. I wish I was wealthy and young, but I can not go back with tuitions that would cost that much. I wish they'd accept my credits or at least some of them but they won't. And I'd have to move out of state and spend even more money. I completely agree with you but unfortunately that isn't my number 1 option, but I'm sure if anyone else had that opportunity they'd take it. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I gotcha man, and I have read your other thread. Just seems like your odds of obtaining a residency are better if you graduated DO here vs a non big four caribbean (also as a transfer student).,

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

How many times have you taken the COMLEX?

The USMLE is much, much more difficult than the COMLEX. If you failed the COMLEX , going back to medical school in the hopes of eventually taking the USMLE might be a bit of a fool's errand.

Reactions: 4 users
The USMLE is much, much more difficult than the COMLEX. If you failed the COMLEX , going back to medical school in the hopes of eventually taking the USMLE might be a bit of a fool's errand.

There is a difference taking the exam while you have conditions (mental, physical, emotional, etc) or not. If you are 100% capable of taking the exam healthy, I'd say give it a try. I on the other hand have been going thru issues and noticed myself getting better after seeking help. I personally know 3 of my friends that failed the comlex but passed the usmle. I don't know the reason but they retook the comlex and passed. The comlex for them was required by the school but 2 of them were Canadians and required the usmle to practice in Canada. I think if you passed and did well the first 2 years going through a rigorous program, You should be able to pass the comlex (only if you are healthy in every way).I wish I was treated along time ago, and I did seek help, but didn't see the right people I guess.
These are man made exams that do not have a "universal rule". I know countless individuals that have failed courses, low MCAT and have poor clinical physical skills that scored much better than average on their boards. I have multiple PM's telling me to go forward with medicine, but I have and will be looking for other options as well. This thread is meant to ask people with caribbean medical school knowledge. All info that could help me and others are certainly welcomed.

There is a difference taking the exam while you have conditions (mental, physical, emotional, etc) or not. If you are 100% capable of taking the exam healthy, I'd say give it a try. I on the other hand have been going thru issues and noticed myself getting better after seeking help. I personally know 3 of my friends that failed the comlex but passed the usmle. I don't know the reason but they retook the comlex and passed. The comlex for them was required by the school but 2 of them were Canadians and required the usmle to practice in Canada. I think if you passed and did well the first 2 years going through a rigorous program, You should be able to pass the comlex (only if you are healthy in every way).I wish I was treated along time ago, and I did seek help, but didn't see the right people I guess.
These are man made exams that do not have a "universal rule". I know countless individuals that have failed courses, low MCAT and have poor clinical physical skills that scored much better than average on their boards. I have multiple PM's telling me to go forward with medicine, but I have and will be looking for other options as well. This thread is meant to ask people with caribbean medical school knowledge. All info that could help me and others are certainly welcomed.

Is your issue fully treatable and will you be able to access the meds/therapy in the caribbean? If not don't go, you can have a crack in the armor while down there. I would never suggest the caribbean but you seem pretty set on trying so I would rather not be like "NO DON'T GO!!!", etc.

I'm sure some of the lower tier schools will take you. Valuemd will most likely be able to help you more in regard to specific questions about programs. The only advice i can give would be to think hard before you make this transfer. Residency's will be able to see that you failed out of DO. Those lower tier caribs already have a match rate <50%. Most likely you will be considered even lower than a student who successfully completed the carib program...just something to think on.

Is your issue fully treatable and will you be able to access the meds/therapy in the caribbean? If not don't go, you can have a crack in the armor while down there. I would never suggest the caribbean but you seem pretty set on trying so I would rather not be like "NO DON'T GO!!!", etc.

lol I'd never go down there from the beginning. I was wondering about them accepting my credits. And continue rotations in the states. But I won't go down there without looking at all my options. I'm not rushing into it. Thanks though lol

I'm sure some of the lower tier schools will take you. Valuemd will most likely be able to help you more in regard to specific questions about programs. The only advice i can give would be to think hard before you make this transfer. Residency's will be able to see that you failed out of DO. Those lower tier caribs already have a match rate <50%. Most likely you will be considered even lower than a student who successfully completed the carib program...just something to think on.

Yeah for sure. That's something to think about as well. I was just wondering to spend an extra $45k to receive an MD rather than to waste my $150k tuition from an osteopathic school with no degree. I'm still lost. But thank you for your time and suggestions.

Yeah for sure. That's something to think about as well. I was just wondering to spend an extra $45k to receive an MD rather than to waste my $150k tuition from an osteopathic school with no degree. I'm still lost. But thank you for your time and suggestions.

What is a better "value".

Option 1 - Reapply to a US based school and spend an additional $150k on loans. Get a residency. Pay off loans.
Option 2 - Apply to a low tier Caribbean school and spend an additional $50k on loans. Never match. Struggle to pay off loans.

Though to be entirely realistic here, your chances to acceptance to another US school is extremely low. If you go to a Caribbean school, you'd have to take Step 1 and Step 2. These would be without any additional teaching if you are looking to have your prior schooling credits transferred. How do you think you'll do in taking these exams that are supposed to be more difficult than COMLEX?

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought that you have stopped engaging in magic thinking.

IF you get into a Carib diploma mill, you will get exactly what you deserve.

I have been dismissed during 3 year, recently from an Osteopathic school due to COMLEX. I may consider transferring to an offshore Caribbean medical school to continue rotations. The top 4 doesn't accept Osteopathic medical school credits so they are out. They offered to start from the beginning but I'd never do that (I had the same offer from Osteopathic schools). A few lower tier Caribbean schools would accept a full transfer. I would like to know if the other Caribbean schools would accept them without spending money on their application (which a lot of them required). If any of you know's anything pls let me know (PM me) if you have additional questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought that you have stopped engaging in magic thinking.

IF you get into a Carib diploma mill, you will get exactly what you deserve.

Relax sir. I have not engaged in that position yet lol. I completely understand what you're saying and I appreciate the response. I'm just asking, I do not see anything wrong with expanding my knowledge. I haven't accepted anything and it doesn't hurt to ask an online forum. I don't think I deserve any harm or negative comments lol I'm just asking, please forgive me.

What is a better "value".

Option 1 - Reapply to a US based school and spend an additional $150k on loans. Get a residency. Pay off loans.
Option 2 - Apply to a low tier Caribbean school and spend an additional $50k on loans. Never match. Struggle to pay off loans.

Though to be entirely realistic here, your chances to acceptance to another US school is extremely low. If you go to a Caribbean school, you'd have to take Step 1 and Step 2. These would be without any additional teaching if you are looking to have your prior schooling credits transferred. How do you think you'll do in taking these exams that are supposed to be more difficult than COMLEX?

Good luck.

Yes 100% agree with you and most likely impossible to get accepted into another medical school in the US.
Now I didn't say anything about residency. I spent 180k on the first 2.5/3 years in medical school. Another 50k to finish and get a diploma on the wall isn't the worst thing. But I would never go down to a Caribbean school without a reason. Obtaining an MD degree along with my previous accomplishments, might open more opportunities to teach/ work in many institutions and other places. I am asking an honest question and it may help myself and hopefully others.

I'm not bashing the Caribbeans and it's my personal opinion to not go down there. But I could still ask an honest question.

Last edited:
Yes 100% agree with you and most likely impossible to get accepted into another medical school in the US.
Now I didn't say anything about residency. I spent 180k on the first 2.5/3 years in medical school. Another 50k to finish and get a diploma on the wall isn't the worst thing. But I would never go down to a Caribbean school without a reason. Obtaining an MD along with my previous accomplishments or someone that has been in my shoes. These degrees might have an option to teach in many institutions and other places. I am asking an honest question and it may help myself and hopefully others. I am not considering it, I am just asking a question. Please try to be professional and keep your opinions on the side.

I'm not bashing the Caribbeans and it's my personal opinion to not go down there. But I could still ask an honest question.

I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but it is far from unprofessional. As for opinions, you are free to take my advice or leave it. This is a public forum and I will post in accordance with the TOS to try and help people, including yourself.

Obtaining a MD degree without residency won't lead to much. It will lead to more debt. Recommendations that you have received in other threads for other paths into the medical field are good and worth looking into. This is not.

I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but it is far from unprofessional. As for opinions, you are free to take my advice or leave it. This is a public forum and I will post in accordance with the TOS to try and help people, including yourself.

Obtaining a MD degree without residency won't lead to much. It will lead to more debt. Recommendations that you have received in other threads for other paths into the medical field are good and worth looking into. This is not.

I did not disagree with you and I thank you for your time and suggestions. I would not consider what you have said unprofessional in any way. And I know for a fact you are a great person that would help many people. Thank you for everything. And I really think your advice is the most realistic and the smartest/safest route. No need to apologize or say sorry!
Peace.

msuspartans, be aware that many states impose limitations on the number of attempts at passing boards. Now, I don’t know how it works if you’ve failed COMLEX thrice and then go to a Caribbean school and take the USMLE. Since I’m not the one in your situation, I’m not losing any sleep over this, but you should definitely investigate if your previous attempts at COMLEX will count. If you fail any of the USMLE steps, this might make it impossible to obtain a medical license in some states (if combined with your previous COMLEX failures).

Consider your next steps very carefully. The only reason we’re giving you this advice is because we hate to see cases like yours in this forum. Having a DO or MD degree without residency training is essentially worthless (and expensive). The degree alone will not open as many doors as you think.

msuspartans, be aware that many states impose limitations on the number of attempts at passing boards. Now, I don’t know how it works if you’ve failed COMLEX thrice and then go to a Caribbean school and take the USMLE. Since I’m not the one in your situation, I’m not losing any sleep over this, but you should definitely investigate if your previous attempts at COMLEX will count. If you fail any of the USMLE steps, this might make it impossible to obtain a medical license in some states (if combined with your previous COMLEX failures).

Consider your next steps very carefully. The only reason we’re giving you this advice is because we hate to see cases like yours in this forum. Having a DO or MD degree without residency training is essentially worthless (and expensive). The degree alone will not open as many doors as you think.

Thank you very much. I actually have other offers for other programs in other professions. I completely agree with all of you. Many individuals have PM'd with their contact info and shared their story with me. It is possible but only if you'd take that risk.
I on the other hand will most likely stop and consider other professions. But the attempts on comlex and other exams have changed after my attempts. So it wouldn't have any limitations with my personal attempts. Thank you for the advice and i hope it helps others.

Thank you very much. I actually have other offers for other programs in other professions. I completely agree with all of you. Many individuals have PM'd with their contact info and shared their story with me. It is possible but only if you'd take that risk.
I on the other hand will most likely stop and consider other professions. But the attempts on comlex and other exams have changed after my attempts. So it wouldn't have any limitations with my personal attempts. Thank you for the advice and i hope it helps others.
We all want the best for you, unfortunately you're in this situation, but it's life - sometimes we can't control what happens to us, we just have to move forward. Just think carefully and assess your situation with a clear mind. Don't let ego or emotion cloud your judgment. All the best man.