Career changer to DPT with the GPA Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member888838

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies, I posted this previously in the PT section when I should have posted here instead. Anyways, wanted to come to this forum to get some feedback for the cliché question, “What are my chances?” I am a 31 year old that works in the field of finance looking to make a career switch into Physical Therapy. This is a decision that I have been thinking about for quite some time now, and I have become absolutely committed to the prospect of it, so I feel that now is the time to get things rolling. While, I have no direct field experience, I have several close friends in the field that I have informally shadowed (and could easily do so formally, as one of them runs his own private clinic now). That said, I face some challenges ahead;

Cum GPA: 2.816

GRE: 1210 AWA: 4.5 (on 2 other tests I scored a 5)
Science courses taken:
Bio: 1.7 (ugh, I know)

So naturally, I have some concerns. I still have yet to take the majority of science prerequisites, which I view as a positive, a chance for redemption if you will. From the schools that I have contacted thus far, they mentioned that they will take the highest retaken score for the science GPA, but I am still worried that the PTCAS science GPA might be reflected negatively because it incorporates all science grades. Has anyone had experience with this or know of an admission committee’s viewpoint?

As for my cum GPA, there is the possibility of pulling it above a 3.0. I plan to take my prereqs at a community college (most schools also seem to be ok with this), but should I make it a priority to get above a 3.0 (i.e. by taking courses aside from just the sciences)? If schools say 3.0 minimum, and assuming I can get my cum GPA above that mark, will this be looked upon favorably by schools? I ask this question bc even though I may be able to get my GPA +3.0, that is just the minimum and I am afraid of schools looking at it as a situation where I took courses at community college (as compared to a 4 year) just to get my scores up. As mentioned, this can technically be done with just the prereqs, but that is assuming somewhere around a 3.7 in the sciences.

Lastly, is it worth retaking the GRE? I would prefer to focus on my prereq’s but I also feel that I could do perhaps a little bit better on the math section and bring that score higher. It’s a trade-off, but am curious to hear some thoughts on the matter. Of note, my scores would be over 5 years old by the time I apply however, I have talked to several schools now that have all said in one form or another that they would still accect the scores.

Thanks again for any and all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

If 3.0 is the minimum for the schools you want to apply to, then you definitely need to make it a priority to get your GPA above that. Many schools won't even look at your application if you don't meet the minimums. Some schools look only at your last 60 units taken, so for these schools it would be easier to raise your GPA faster.

If you go back to school now and get great grades on your prereqs, I'm sure many programs would consider your improvement and dedication, compared to your undergrad grades. This is an advantage to returning to school after being in the work world for a while. You can detach yourself from the person you were during your undergrad years, and low undergrad grades can have less impact if you can show significant recent improvement. But you do still need to meet the minimum GPA in order to be considered at most programs. You might consider taking additional bio classes beyond the prereqs and doing really well in them to show how much you have changed and what you are capable of now (and raise that GPA at the same time).

I messed up during my few last semesters in undergrad, but went back to school for my prereqs more than a decade later and got straight A's. In my application essays, I mentioned how I have clearer goals and more motivation than I did in undergrad, and listed a few honest reasons (not excuses) that I did not do well during those undergrad semesters. I've already been accepted into a competitive program this cycle, despite my less than stellar senior year. My more recent grades and GRE showed programs what I am capable of now. I think you have a good chance if you do really well in the prereqs and get your cGPA over the minimum.

Your GRE looks great, though you didn't break it down to individual verbal and math scores. Was your math score low? Based on what you listed as your score, I don't see any need to retake it (unless of course schools need a more recent test date).

Thank you for the feedback!
GRE: V: 570 (77%) Q: 640 (56% I think, last time I checked)
My quant score was actually 660 on a different test date, but it would be offset by a 540 in Verbal on that date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback!
GRE: V: 570 (77%) Q: 640 (56% I think, last time I checked)
My quant score was actually 660 on a different test date, but it would be offset by a 540 in Verbal on that date.

That's a great score. I don't see any reason to put more effort into the GRE (again, unless schools need more recent scores). Stick to raising that GPA and getting A's in your prereqs. Good luck!

Get that overall GPA above 3.0. Most schools will discard any application that is below 3.0. Some schools, including mine, are more forgiving and consider the entire applicant. If you have any Cs, retake those classes. You can even retake other classes in which you got a B. All schools like to see high pre-req GPAs. Don't retake the GRE. I had almost the same score and I got into several schools.

Your experience and your story will definitely help you. You're not a recent graduate so you're absolutely sure what you want to do. It sounds like you'll have a great essay to write. Show them that you have changed.

Kevin

Do really well in all your prereqs. It will boost your gpa plus show a good grade trend. Sounds like you would also be able to get great PT recommendation letters. Apply early and to schools with lower minimums and you've got a great shot.