Cardiology residency lengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triptrip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. I'm not sure between becoming a EP, noninvasive card or interventional card.
1) do they all have the 3 years of card fellowship or does some require even more training?
2) which one has the best work hours?

Members don't see this ad.

hello. I'm not sure between becoming a EP, noninvasive card or interventional card.
1) do they all have the 3 years of card fellowship or does some require even more training?
2) which one has the best work hours?

You have to do 3 years of general cardiology fellowship to begin with no matter what. For interventional it's at least another year after that, and maybe an additional year for further training in structural interventions/research, etc... For EP it's an additional 2 years now after 3 years of general cardiology.

Hours will be highly variable depending on the practice structure and how call and coverage is arranged so hard to give a definite answer as to what has "worse" hours, but in a VERY general sense, I'd say that interventional > EP > or = General..... Again, a lot goes into that and I'm sure there are places where the general cards guy has worse hours than the EP guy and vice versa. Interventional though of course usually has to cover STEMI call and it's not that often that a general cardiologist or EP would physically have to come in overnight.

Some cardiology fellowships are 4 years due to mandatory research component