Cardiology research as a med student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm got some questions about research for a future in cardiology as I'm really interested in interventional cardiology (I shadowed in this a lot). I'm a DO student and performed very well my first year and keep an open mind about specialties but keep getting drawn back to the idea of cardiology. I know research is highly valued for cardiology fellowships but I'm wondering if it matters the type. Would writing a review article and getting it published in the field of cardiology be acceptable or is it better as a basic science? I am going into my second year of med school and can reach out to see if there are more opportunities but I'm not in an area or school that has a lot of resources for research and will focusing heavily on boards this year as that's the priority.

What happens if you write a paper and submit for publication but it never get published. Does this count as research but not as a publication? Would doing a poster over a review article you write help and count on your application? I've read it's best to match into IM with a strong cards fellowship. Would it be better to do research during residency? Would cards fellowships care about research from med school?

Thanks for reading and even more so if you have advice. I never had the opportunity to do research in undergrad as I was kind of a non trad so this is newer for me but I'm eager to work in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I'm got some questions about research for a future in cardiology as I'm really interested in interventional cardiology (I shadowed in this a lot). I'm a DO student and performed very well my first year and keep an open mind about specialties but keep getting drawn back to the idea of cardiology. I know research is highly valued for cardiology fellowships but I'm wondering if it matters the type. Would writing a review article and getting it published in the field of cardiology be acceptable or is it better as a basic science? I am going into my second year of med school and can reach out to see if there are more opportunities but I'm not in an area or school that has a lot of resources for research and will focusing heavily on boards this year as that's the priority.

What happens if you write a paper and submit for publication but it never get published. Does this count as research but not as a publication? Would doing a poster over a review article you write help and count on your application? I've read it's best to match into IM with a strong cards fellowship. Would it be better to do research during residency? Would cards fellowships care about research from med school?

Thanks for reading and even more so if you have advice. I never had the opportunity to do research in undergrad as I was kind of a non trad so this is newer for me but I'm eager to work in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Take this with a grain of salt as I had minimal research in residency and none in med school. That being said, I did match into a good clinical fellowship.

In short, it doesn't really matter what type of research you do. Google hierarchy of research types. Do the highest ones available to you. You won't have time for prospective stuff in med or residency, really. (unless you are at a research powerhouse or do research years, etc). Just do what you can. If it is only case reports, do them. I think at your level boards are more important. Basic vs clinical doesn't matter. Sounds like basic research would be very difficult where you are, though.

Research without pubs happens. There will be places to explain yourself on applications. Know why it didn't get published and be able to talk about it. Everything counts, and you'll be able to count it all. Research in residency is important, but med school research will be "cared" about.

My final tidbit is to find someone at your facility that at least knows about research whether they publish a lot now or not and let them guide you. The hardest part to me is knowing what is publishable and just how to go about the whole process of it all.

Reactions: 1 user