Cardiology Job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats the scope for a non-invasive COCATS level 3 MRI/ECHO/Nuc/CTA trained cardiologist in a private setting (hospital based)? Does level 3 in imaging help one in private practice (hospital based) where paychecks depend upon RVUs one generates? Most cardiologists employed by hospitals read their own echos, nucs and CTAs, so the imaging guy doesnt really get any extra volume. I am not sure what MRI volume is like in private practices?.
Any comments?
I have not seen any PP jobs that care about level 3. I do not know of any private guys doing MRI. That's all at academic centers. Most that I've seen don't do CTA either.

Maybe if you look into going to a hospital that has no cardiology service at all then the level 3 might matter for running the echo/nuc lab...I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how much nyt is paying her to throw her colleagues under a bus.
A lot less than Medicare is paying these few bad apples to throw the profession under a bus.

Looking at medscape compensation report (not sure how reliable that is), it shows that cardiology is one of the few on the decline for compensation (not even considering inflation). What's the main reason for that? Is it the poor job market? People just realizing it's not worth it to do extra years of fellowships/research to become interventionalists/EP with worse lifestyle and just do plain cardiology, thus decreasing the average pay but a lot? Is it billing decline?

What's the outlook on this...is it going to continue to go downhill like that? It's disappointing to say the least for us passionate about the specialty to see that our lifelong hard work will not receive the same reward as the generation before us. It might turn away some of the intelligent applicants who might turn to other fields and slow the advancement of the specialty.

I've heard from current fellows applying for jobs that apparently hf and gen cards have the most openings.

I've heard from current fellows applying for jobs that apparently hf and gen cards have the most openings.
HF has the best job market from what I hear. General is not bad, but you can't find a gig wherever you want. The problem with HF is that you're training more to make less...

HF has the best job market from what I hear. General is not bad, but you can't find a gig wherever you want. The problem with HF is that you're training more to make less...

except you're not making less in HF...

p diddy

Hi ladies/gents,

Any updates out there as job hunting season is coming to a wrap (hopefully all you graduating fellows have found employment!)

Any certain regions looking to have more openings? Anyone get offered loan repayment? One more question... at what point in final year do you all recommend to start the job search?

Curious to how the cardiology job market is this year (2013). Seems that folks are screaming "shortage" but at the same time little jobs are available. Please give insight to the different fields of cardio (EP, interven, non-invasive, etc).

thanks!

Cardiology is very bad at the moment and will stay like this for the next at least 30 years and it will get worse. My friend just got a job in a small city midwest for 280k with potential for 350K. This includes 1 month of per year and call schedule q4days and some of the weekends off per month. I wanted to do cardiology and did not for this reason. I have taken IM job offer as hospitalist for 280K 14 days per month schedule with most days once work is done I can leave. Why the high price? And this is on the average now days. My brother is doing nocturnist with 7/7 schedule for 520k a year. Dont forget extra shift on weeks of with still 3 months off per year I can earn 400+K. The market is nowhere near close to peaked in hospitalist medicine. I had no trouble finding a job while my friend had a very hard time most places asking him to work for 250-300K by covering 3 hositals with horible schedule. Midlevels will change jack. They still need your signature and therefore you recieve the entire pay that usually would as if you did eval. There are mid level in every specialty and subspeciality. If you can do procedures which I can thora/para/ LP/arthro... I charge seperately at my work and make extra money as they prefer to not have the surgeon come to the hospital. The area is suburban but I hate large cities and its 1h and 30 min from DC. People say its a dump ground but thats how hospitalist are generating the money. Its medicare that dictates the reembursment. I don't see any changes in the next several decades with the market only improving for me. Its easy to get a job because someone has to manage all the admissions and make decisions on their care. You barely ever need a consult if you are a good physician and those are only for procedures. I can manage and treat afib/nonsustained vt.... Emergent cardioversion. ICU patient care and vent management. Alot of these subspecialties are not necessary unless there is a procedure you cant do or you are stuck with a very complex problem after having exhousted multiple treatments. Unfortunately most generalists will consult to have their back freed up so that they can have the 2 hour lunch each day I have seen that as well. Anyways, there are set charging to medicare I dont see that change and the market for hospitalist is going to just get better. I am glad I have not done cardiology but we still need someone to be a cardiologist as well.

My friends are having no problems getting jobs. All good paying and in good locations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this. I know several cardiology fellows who recently graduated and struggled to decide which job to take because they had many great offers.

Cardiology is very bad at the moment and will stay like this for the next at least 30 years and it will get worse. My friend just got a job in a small city midwest for 280k with potential for 350K. This includes 1 month of per year and call schedule q4days and some of the weekends off per month. I wanted to do cardiology and did not for this reason. I have taken IM job offer as hospitalist for 280K 14 days per month schedule with most days once work is done I can leave. Why the high price? And this is on the average now days. My brother is doing nocturnist with 7/7 schedule for 520k a year. Dont forget extra shift on weeks of with still 3 months off per year I can earn 400+K. The market is nowhere near close to peaked in hospitalist medicine. I had no trouble finding a job while my friend had a very hard time most places asking him to work for 250-300K by covering 3 hositals with horible schedule. Midlevels will change jack. They still need your signature and therefore you recieve the entire pay that usually would as if you did eval. There are mid level in every specialty and subspeciality. If you can do procedures which I can thora/para/ LP/arthro... I charge seperately at my work and make extra money as they prefer to not have the surgeon come to the hospital. The area is suburban but I hate large cities and its 1h and 30 min from DC. People say its a dump ground but thats how hospitalist are generating the money. Its medicare that dictates the reembursment. I don't see any changes in the next several decades with the market only improving for me. Its easy to get a job because someone has to manage all the admissions and make decisions on their care. You barely ever need a consult if you are a good physician and those are only for procedures. I can manage and treat afib/nonsustained vt.... Emergent cardioversion. ICU patient care and vent management. Alot of these subspecialties are not necessary unless there is a procedure you cant do or you are stuck with a very complex problem after having exhousted multiple treatments. Unfortunately most generalists will consult to have their back freed up so that they can have the 2 hour lunch each day I have seen that as well. Anyways, there are set charging to medicare I dont see that change and the market for hospitalist is going to just get better. I am glad I have not done cardiology but we still need someone to be a cardiologist as well.

this seems to be a real account..

Reactions: 1 user
this seems to be a real account..

I second that. I am actively looking for jobs at the moment. The average starting salary for Non-invasive cardiology seems to be around 280-310k in most places. Depending on the type of practice and their business model, they may or may not offer a productivity bonus (most places do - some will calculcate the bonus based on the income generated, while some will give a flat 10-15k year end bonus). Most places will not say a word about bonuses (unless they are compensating for their location). Having said that, if there is a path towards partnership, then things may improve.
Salaries are surely higher in midwest/Texas, but again.. in the interiors.

I've two offers as of now... one in midwest with a potential for 450-500k but it involves doing I.M. as well. Not something that I'm particularly fond of. If I do pure Cardiology, it will be approx 350-375k. I'll be doing diagnostic caths with interventional back-up prn. Partnership track. Second is from California.. flat 300k salary as an employee, with a 5k joining bonus and maybe around 10-15k year end bonus. The details regarding partnership are yet to be hashed out.

This is yet the beginning of the interview season. So looking out for more. I'm happy to have choices, but going to look out for more options.

I second that. I am actively looking for jobs at the moment. The average starting salary for Non-invasive cardiology seems to be around 280-310k in most places. Depending on the type of practice and their business model, they may or may not offer a productivity bonus (most places do - some will calculcate the bonus based on the income generated, while some will give a flat 10-15k year end bonus). Most places will not say a word about bonuses (unless they are compensating for their location). Having said that, if there is a path towards partnership, then things may improve.
Salaries are surely higher in midwest/Texas, but again.. in the interiors.

I've two offers as of now... one in midwest with a potential for 450-500k but it involves doing I.M. as well. Not something that I'm particularly fond of. If I do pure Cardiology, it will be approx 350-375k. I'll be doing diagnostic caths with interventional back-up prn. Partnership track. Second is from California.. flat 300k salary as an employee, with a 5k joining bonus and maybe around 10-15k year end bonus. The details regarding partnership are yet to be hashed out.

This is yet the beginning of the interview season. So looking out for more. I'm happy to have choices, but going to look out for more options.
Is that 350-375k in a big city? How many hours do the cardiologists at this gig usually work?

Is that 350-375k in a big city? How many hours do the cardiologists at this gig usually work?

30-40mins from a major metro. Solo Cardiologist. Calls will be Q3 or Q4 (depending on call sharing availability). However if no one available for call sharing, then call may be Q2. Only 2 weeks vacation in 1st yr, 3 weeks in 2nd yr of employment.

30-40mins from a major metro. Solo Cardiologist. Calls will be Q3 or Q4 (depending on call sharing availability). However if no one available for call sharing, then call may be Q2. Only 2 weeks vacation in 1st yr, 3 weeks in 2nd yr of employment.
Wow. That's actually pretty awful. For that kind of call schedule, I would have expected at least 500-600k. They really need to start cutting the number of cardiology fellows per year, or else it will only get worse...

That sounds brutal. For perspective, I'm in radiology. For same length of training, my pay is higher, 1-2 weekend days of call per month, 10 weeks vacation per year (12 weeks as partner in 2 years when salary almost doubles). I salute you guys for willingly to put up with the cardiology lifestyle. I would never do it.

@Taurus I guess all the doom and gloom in the rad forum should be taken with a grain of salt then... 10 weeks vacation and salary in the 400k with the possibility to almost double in 2 years! Am I reading your post correctly?

Radiology has some of the most vocal and whiniest doctors out there. No field is perfect but I am very happy in it. I think it's about keeping perspective and figuring out what you want out of your career. I knew early on I would rather jump off a bridge than see patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Radiology has some of the most vocal and whiniest doctors out there. No field is perfect but I am very happy in it. I think it's about keeping perspective and figuring out what you want out of your career. I knew early on I would rather jump off a bridge than see patients.
I really hope I match into radiology this year!

I hear the rads job market is slightly better this year. Perhaps the old folk are retiring. The question is what happens during the next bear market? Job market tightens up worse than before?

Everything is cyclical unless you have a very limited supply and high demand like in derm, ortho, ENT, urology, etc. In other fields where there is good supply like in rads, gas, cards, etc, then they are very sensitive to the slightest change in demand.

It's hard to predict when the cards market will recover. Aging population helps, but there are headwinds. You can't indiscriminately stent anymore because the govt is watching you like a hawk. Cards has gotten into the PAD game but unlike cardiac stenting you are not the only game in town; you have to compete with IR and vascular surgery. These new wonder drugs will mean fewer MIs in the future. But whatever. I could never put up with the cardiology or surgical lifestyle. Being on weekend call where I have to work 20 hours over two days every 4-6 weeks makes me grumpy already.

I am fellowship trained like most grads coming out today. You are at a huge disadvantage if you don't do a fellowship.

Who knows where the rads market will be in 5 years. Some ppl predict a swing back into high demand because older rads are starting to retire.

Personally, I think all of medicine is changing for the worse and we are all screwed. Pp is slowly disappearing. These salaries and vacation times will become relics of a bygone era of medicine. We will become employee cogs in huge healthcare systems. Physicians will lose their autonomy and status in the medical hierarchy.

So, I sez, milk it for what's it worth because the party ain't gonna last.

Everything is cyclical unless you have a very limited supply and high demand like in derm, ortho, ENT, urology, etc. In other fields where there is good supply like in rads, gas, cards, etc, then they are very sensitive to the slightest change in demand.

It's hard to predict when the cards market will recover. Aging population helps, but there are headwinds. You can't indiscriminately stent anymore because the govt is watching you like a hawk. Cards has gotten into the PAD game but unlike cardiac stenting you are not the only game in town; you have to compete with IR and vascular surgery. These new wonder drugs will mean fewer MIs in the future. But whatever. I could never put up with the cardiology or surgical lifestyle. Being on weekend call where I have to work 20 hours over two days every 4-6 weeks makes me grumpy already.
I'm not so sure I believe in the cyclic nature of medical fields. It's a popular trite that we dole out here at SDN, but I don't see how it is inherent to the very nature of our industry. It's not like the boom and bust cycles of business that are inherently driven by credit in a capitalistic economy. I venture that whatever cyclic behavior we have seen in the past with regards to medical fields was driven by two factors: the fact that there were more residency spots open than medical students, and changes in reimbursement rates. The latter may very well continue to be true as CMS continues to cut rates with no observable logic, but the former is all but gone. Every residency spot will be taken up by a medical grad, and there will not be shortages seen when grads flock away from a certain field - a la radiology or anesthesiology 15-20 years ago.

And I wouldn't say that the success of fields like derm, ENT, or urology is dictated mainly by their limited supply and high demand. Everything in medicine is high demand, and many other fields are relatively scarce - IE primary care, rheumatology, infectious diseases, etc. The main difference there is the huge gap in reimbursement rates for services rendered. I expect all this to change in the coming decade, but that's what the game of the street is now...

I am fellowship trained like most grads coming out today. You are at a huge disadvantage if you don't do a fellowship.

Who knows where the rads market will be in 5 years. Some ppl predict a swing back into high demand because older rads are starting to retire.

Personally, I think all of medicine is changing for the worse and we are all screwed. Pp is slowly disappearing. These salaries and vacation times will become relics of a bygone era of medicine. We will become employee cogs in huge healthcare systems. Physicians will lose their autonomy and status in the medical hierarchy.

So, I sez, milk it for what's it worth because the party ain't gonna last.
Agree 100%. If you're in practice now, milk it like there's no tomorrow. If you're early on in your training... well, good luck to you.

I'm not so sure I believe in the cyclic nature of medical fields. It's a popular trite that we dole out here at SDN, but I don't see how it is inherent to the very nature of our industry. It's not like the boom and bust cycles of business that are inherently driven by credit in a capitalistic economy. I venture that whatever cyclic behavior we have seen in the past with regards to medical fields was driven by two factors: the fact that there were more residency spots open than medical students, and changes in reimbursement rates. The latter may very well continue to be true as CMS continues to cut rates with no observable logic, but the former is all but gone. Every residency spot will be taken up by a medical grad, and there will not be shortages seen when grads flock away from a certain field - a la radiology or anesthesiology 15-20 years ago.

And I wouldn't say that the success of fields like derm, ENT, or urology is dictated mainly by their limited supply and high demand. Everything in medicine is high demand, and many other fields are relatively scarce - IE primary care, rheumatology, infectious diseases, etc. The main difference there is the huge gap in reimbursement rates for services rendered. I expect all this to change in the coming decade, but that's what the game of the street is now...

In radiology, I think several factors contributed significantly to the slow job market. First, it was reimbursement cuts. Groups wanted to maintain the level of incomes so everyone had to work harder and longer. They didn't want to hire in an uncertain reimbursement environment and it would also decrease income levels for each partner. Imaging volumes have not significantly decreased at all so it's not a structural problem like you have with cardiac stenting which have dropped by 30% nationwide. Second, the 401k values dropped by a lot in 2008. So ppl put off retirement. Third, telerads is having a small but appreciable negative impact. It's not foreign telerads but domestic ones like vRad. Groups are fighting back by taking back the night but the market would be better without telerads. That's why IR and mammo are most popular fellowships right now because you need boots on the ground for those areas. I think the first two factors are most significant. We are seeing the market improve because ppl are burning out by working so much harder and ppl are retiring. Groups recognize you have to start hiring again. I think these two factors are also impacting cards, but the drop in stent volume had hurt cards a lot I think.

Whatever, for the last ten years every damn specialty has tried to spell doom and gloom in every possible way

Things will truck on and life will go on as usual. But because this is SDN we have a higher degree of neurotic crazy people who think the world is ending

Reactions: 2 users
Whatever, for the last ten years every damn specialty has tried to spell doom and gloom in every possible way

Things will truck on and life will go on as usual. But because this is SDN we have a higher degree of neurotic crazy people who think the world is ending
No one is saying the world is going to end. For you to infer that from such discourse here may be a reflection of your lack of understanding for the situation, or perhaps irony at its finest?

What we are saying is that the trends are in the direction towards less physician autonomy and compensation over time. Whether that trend will remain course, pick up speed, halt, or reverse is to be determined - and ultimately dictated by innumerable socioeconomic and political factors that we won't go into here. As a trainee, what you can do is try your best to understand the current milieu of health care, and make a decision best for you in the future. What that entails is looking at the data, interpret your own first hand experiences, and be receptive to other people's experiences. We have people here who have gone through the wringer and are providing their perspective.

Average pay of sub urban hospitalist is 240 K and a major metro gives 200K. Anything more than this, working your a** off or more than 14 shifts a month.
A guaranteed 350 K for non inv cardiologist is always better, no 12 hour shifts, no night shifts and a potential for partnership and own practice...

Average pay of sub urban hospitalist is 240 K and a major metro gives 200K. Anything more than this, working your a** off or more than 14 shifts a month.
A guaranteed 350 K for non inv cardiologist is always better, no 12 hour shifts, no night shifts and a potential for partnership and own practice...
Aware me on this "potential for partnership track and own practice," pls. Oh, you mean potential to be hospital employee like everyone else? Gotcha.

Also aware me on this no night shift business for cardiologists, pls. Oh, you mean Q4 call after which you have to go to work the next day? Gotcha.

Lastly, aware me on this "no 12 hour shift" work load for cardiologists, pls. Oh, you mean, instead you work 60 hours a week every week which breaks down to 12 hours a day? Gotcha.

Glad we had this convo.

Just so people are clear. Hospital medicine sucks - the job is like pulling teeth. I can't wait until fellowship. BUT, in terms of hours and money, it's better than many sub-specialists and not much worse than others.

No one is saying the world is going to end. For you to infer that from such discourse here may be a reflection of your lack of understanding for the situation, or perhaps irony at its finest?

What we are saying is that the trends are in the direction towards less physician autonomy and compensation over time. Whether that trend will remain course, pick up speed, halt, or reverse is to be determined - and ultimately dictated by innumerable socioeconomic and political factors that we won't go into here. As a trainee, what you can do is try your best to understand the current milieu of health care, and make a decision best for you in the future. What that entails is looking at the data, interpret your own first hand experiences, and be receptive to other people's experiences. We have people here who have gone through the wringer and are providing their perspective.

I think listening to a site with an inherent negativity bias where those who post their experiences tend to be self selecting for those who are more dissatisfied than those who may be more content or ambivalent and decide not to post. Every fellow that has come out of my program has found reasonably good job placement or advanced fellowship placement. The EP, HF, and interventional people have all found reasonably good jobs which have been around their desired locations. This is in an area that is considered somewhat "saturated". So I think everyone has different subjective experiences and you'll see plenty of happy stories as well as the doom and gloom of some of the previous posters.

So your implication that I'm unable to understand the finer parts of a situation which by your own admission is a difficult one at best to comprehend at all is probably true. I guess I tend to be an active skeptic of all the SDN negativity that tends to permeate the conversation. But whatever.

Aware me on this "potential for partnership track and own practice," pls. Oh, you mean potential to be hospital employee like everyone else? Gotcha.

Also aware me on this no night shift business for cardiologists, pls. Oh, you mean Q4 call after which you have to go to work the next day? Gotcha.

Lastly, aware me on this "no 12 hour shift" work load for cardiologists, pls. Oh, you mean, instead you work 60 hours a week every week which breaks down to 12 hours a day? Gotcha.

Glad we had this convo.

Just so people are clear. Hospital medicine sucks - the job is like pulling teeth. I can't wait until fellowship. BUT, in terms of hours and money, it's better than many sub-specialists and not much worse than others.

Hospital Medicine does not suck..for me it is like doing a fellowship for 3 years or so. No one works crazy after 3-4 years experience. Either become a locum with your own schedule and make a ton of $$, or go into administration and cut down the number of clinical hours.
The pay would go up with experience anyhow.

Hospital Medicine does not suck..for me it is like doing a fellowship for 3 years or so. No one works crazy after 3-4 years experience. Either become a locum with your own schedule and make a ton of $$, or go into administration and cut down the number of clinical hours.
The pay would go up with experience anyhow.
It depends on where you practice. If you're at a cush private setting where consultants come at the drop of a hat, and the patients are decent human beings, then no. Hospital medicine does not suck. On the other hand, if you practice in a large academic center where consultants try their hardest NOT to do anything, and patients see you as a narcotic dispensing machine, then yes. Hospital medicine sucks. I work in the latter setting. It's a pain and I have to put up with endless BS on a daily basis. However, I really have nothing to complain about considering how much I make (same as full time cardiology here), and how many days I work (55% of year). If you can tolerate this job, it's a damn fine gig.

Last edited:
Is anyone hearing of 2015 fellows still looking for a job. I am posting personally, but work for a locums company. Trying to figure out a good way to find those who are interested, without spamming the thread.
any suggestions?

Decision point becomes. Noninvasive cardiology vs interventional cardiology.

If you prefer noninterventional cardiology the work+salary+call schedule compared to Hospitalist job is a tough comparison. Let's not forget the opportunity cost of 3 years of Hospitalist salary vs 3 years of cardiology fellowship salary. Not sure if one will ever make up the lost income if one does noninterventionsl cardiology. Still some don't care about money so it might be worth it because the science is very cool.

While writing 15 notes everyday, calling specialists, updating family members, and doing the occasional night shift is depressing, I do tolerate being a hospitalist as there aren't many jobs in all of medicine where I get to leave the hospital around 2 PM

While writing 15 notes everyday, calling specialists, updating family members, and doing the occasional night shift is depressing, I do tolerate being a hospitalist as there aren't many jobs in all of medicine where I get to leave the hospital around 2 PM
You're lucky that you can leave around 2pm, and only write 15 notes. Where are you located and how much do you get paid, if you don't mind my asking?

You're lucky that you can leave around 2pm, and only write 15 notes. Where are you located and how much do you get paid, if you don't mind my asking?

working at a major hospital in Dallas proper and our compensation model is geared for 240 average doing the standard workload.

working at a major hospital in Dallas proper and our compensation model is geared for 240 average doing the standard workload.
That's pretty good. I am in the Midwest, and we can leave at 3pm, but then the nurses page you at least 10-15 times at home about various stupid BS. Do you ever get paged after you leave?

That's pretty good. I am in the Midwest, and we can leave at 3pm, but then the nurses page you at least 10-15 times at home about various stupid BS. Do you ever get paged after you leave?

we cover pages until 4:30

Glad we had this convo.

You're always complaining. All of the fellows in my class looking for noninvasive jobs are getting great offers in good places. The lowest offer this far is 280K for a VA job. For the remainder of the fellows, the lowest salary thus far is 400K. Again, all in good places. Cardiology is doing just fine. Global interventional reimbursements doubled this year. Granted, it was to hospitals (MD component stayed stable) but with the new model of hospital employment this bodes well for physicians.

You're always complaining. All of the fellows in my class looking for noninvasive jobs are getting great offers in good places. The lowest offer this far is 280K for a VA job. For the remainder of the fellows, the lowest salary thus far is 400K. Again, all in good places. Cardiology is doing just fine. Global interventional reimbursements doubled this year. Granted, it was to hospitals (MD component stayed stable) but with the new model of hospital employment this bodes well for physicians.

Not sure where you are located, but all the fellows at my institution are all not getting $400k starting in my location. The ones that took higher starting salaries went to crappier cities, where pay for hospitalists is higher too. Their per hour breakdown isn't much higher.

Look, my point is that hospital medicine sucks (I'm getting out in 6 months), BUT for those who can tolerate it, it's not a worse gig FINANCIALLY compared to most specialists. Would I rather do hospital medicine or cards? Cards. No doubt. But from a purely financial standpoint, it's not a clear cut home run.

Not sure where you are located, but all the fellows at my institution are all not getting $400k starting in my location. The ones that took higher starting salaries went to crappier cities, where pay for hospitalists is higher too. Their per hour breakdown isn't much higher.

Look, my point is that hospital medicine sucks (I'm getting out in 6 months), BUT for those who can tolerate it, it's not a worse gig FINANCIALLY compared to most specialists. Would I rather do hospital medicine or cards? Cards. No doubt. But from a purely financial standpoint, it's not a clear cut home run.

I am in the north outside a major city (top 5 in population). They got jobs 1 hour away from the city in nice locations. Another got one out west in a beautiful location. The jobs are there.

I am in the north outside a major city (top 5 in population). They got jobs 1 hour away from the city in nice locations. Another got one out west in a beautiful location. The jobs are there.
My buddy got a hospitalist job in a BEAUTIFUL location for 340k (7 on/7 off). Another got a gig teaching at a community residency program working 30 hours a week only on teaching services for 250k. Not that it matters since I'm just bringing up anecdotes while not making a point...