Can't Commission Until August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeffM

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from my recruiter saying that due to funding, I can't commission for Navy until August 1st. Unfortunately my school starts in June and although my tuition gets paid, I won't get the stipend or bonus until August.

I was wondering if anyone else had received this notice today or if anyone has or is planning to commission for the Navy before August?

Members don't see this ad.

That's how it was when I did it 2-3 years ago. My army buddy was able to commission in February so I asked if I could do that so I could go ahead and do ODS. They said I'd have to wait until Aug 1 or first day of school, whichever is later. We started on July 26th-ish so I commissioned on Aug 1st and started getting my pay a few weeks later.

For tuition you can prob tell the school you are in HPSP and they will delay the billing until you get commissioned and they'll bill them after that. (Takes about 3-4 weeks once you commission to get in the system for them to do this I think). If not you will have to take out loans and just pay it back once the navy reimburses you. You'll eat a couple hundred dollars in fees for this, but still small price to pay.

For your kits and supplies I would recommend getting a credit card with cash back. I have the citi with 2% and quicksilver with 1.5%. Put your kit and stuff on these and just pay them off once the navy reimburses you. They'll be interest free for the first 6 months anyways so you'll be out nothing and can get some cash back and start building your credit history. I put everything I possibly can on my cards and pay them off every 2-3 weeks so I don't pay interest and the cashback adds up overtime to a nice statement credit.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a call from my recruiter saying that due to funding, I can't commission for Navy until August 1st. Unfortunately my school starts in June and although my tuition gets paid, I won't get the stipend or bonus until August.

I was wondering if anyone else had received this notice today or if anyone has or is planning to commission for the Navy before August?

When my recruiter sent me my final select letter, I was offered a commissioning date way before August, and my school starts after yours does. Were you given a similar expectation in a final select letter?

Also, one of my good friends has already commissioned into the Navy HPSP program and he is starting dental school this Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: After talking to my recruiter, it turns out I was put in the second group of students to be commissioned. I'm still waiting on my final selection letter. I'm trying to do everything I can to move it up, but if anyone has any experience with this or advice that would be great.

Write your reps and encourage them to pass a budget. Once there's an actual budget in place of the CR you'll be in better shape. Until then the services have to work with limited funds.

I've already commissioned and I know of one other person who has also. Just be as quick as you can with your AYS and other forms and put some pressure on your recruiter without being annoying.
What are the other forms that are needed to be filled out before receiving a final select letter other than the AYS?

Last edited:
Myself and everyone at my school didn't commission until August 1st. You do lose a bit of stipend pay but they still back paid all tuition and supplies.

Myself and everyone at my school didn't commission until August 1st. You do lose a bit of stipend pay but they still back paid all tuition and supplies.
Did you take out a federal loan for tuition and if so, did you have to pay a lot in interest?

Did you take out a federal loan for tuition and if so, did you have to pay a lot in interest?

You will have to pay the 1% fee for the loans, but as far as interest on them if it takes you 1-2 months to get reimbursed and pay them back you're looking at $50 for every $10k you take out at 6% apr. Took me 4 or 5 weeks i think from commissioning til i got reimbursed. Prob looking at about $100 in interest paid while waiting.