Canadians in Australian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakaonkaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't seen a central post for this, and most of the info is scattered in several posts/outdated. I thought I'd start one off here and see where things go. If you're Canadian, and applying to any school in Australia, and have Canadian-related concerns please feel free to post here. Also, those Canadians who are already in these programs, your advice will be greatly appreciated. Relevant topics include matching back to Canada as IMG (Or CSA I guess is also a term used), or US, school-related topics, financing, the application process itself, staying in Australia, etc.

I'll start things off, - I've applied to Sydney, UQ, Griffiths, Flinders, Deakin, and Monash -- most through ISA. Some of my concerns include:

1)Matching in Canada/States/Australia --> the best way to cover bases is to aim for/consider all three major options (Canada/States/Australia) --> with that in mind, those who have studied for these tests (MCCQE,USMLE etc,) in the Ausi system, did you find it difficult to juggle all of these in a school that's not really tailored to prepping for these tests?

2) Financing -- largest loan for Canadians studying in med overseas is given by CIBC- 275k @prime interest. + Canadian federal/provincial loans. For Ontario it's 210/wk so approximately 8-10k a year (32-40k/4yrs). Tuition alone can range from 240-280k AUD. Ausi govt calculates living expenses (can vary per city) @ 18500/year. so this equates to approximately 315-350k total debt. How did you guys finance the remainder? (for those in school). How are you planning on financing? (for those considering applying). Are there any scholarships?

some links:

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010_CSA_Report/CaRMS_2010_CSA_Report.pdf <-- Survey done in 2010, they're doing another one this year --> hope to see what the changes look like.

http://www.carms.ca/en/data-and-reports/r-1/reports-2015/ Match statistics for 2015

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting welcoming breaking news from Australian Medical Students' Association:

Federal Government funds Commonwealth Medical Internship Programs has been extended for another 4 years. More to follow from Budget.

This is a great news for IMGs .

Important news, but expected -- as if the Commonwealth had any option.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a prospective applicant to both Australia and the US, I find the second issue the most problematic for a large proportion of Canadians who wish to go abroad for medicine (US/UK/Aus) as we don't have a similar loan system to the US who will cover the full amount. If you don't have sufficient financial assets to either pay it off entirely/obtain loans/have a full ride, you're SOL.

Living in Sydney/Melbourne with $18.5k (it'd probably work for the Brisbane area) seems a bit of a stretch and I'd argue you're looking at $20k-25k in those cities. Also, tuition increases as per inflation which is a few thousand per year. The potential loan amount of $275k from banks will not be for the full amount after everything is said and done due to interest and if your cosigner does not have the equivalent in assets (even more is needed to offset any outstanding debts including OSAP). You also need to budget a substantial amount for tests/flights for interviews/applications.

From what I see, Australian universities don't really have financial aid/scholarships for international students as they seem to require the funding from international students help supplement their programs. The only place you'd be seeing any form of financial aid/scholarship for internationals is at US schools such as Mayo.

Yeah, this seems to be the consistent scenario. Unless you have some external source of funding, the prospect of financing Ausi schools seem daunting. I wonder how current Canadian students are funding it though. I expect many take on part time work? If that's the case I wonder what their experiences are balancing between work/study/standardized exam preparation etc.

I have seen a few options for scholarships dedicated for international students, but its usually very limited or extreme need based.

Yeah, this seems to be the consistent scenario. Unless you have some external source of funding, the prospect of financing Ausi schools seem daunting. I wonder how current Canadian students are funding it though. I expect many take on part time work? If that's the case I wonder what their experiences are balancing between work/study/standardized exam preparation etc.

I have seen a few options for scholarships dedicated for international students, but its usually very limited or extreme need based.

You don't work part-time during medical school, unless you have a high paying job, like a pharmacist or something.

The people who attend, have family money or saved money, plain and simple. And maximized student loans and line of credit.

There's no secret way. You either have the money, or you don't.

There's no secret way. You either have the money, or you don't.

Well, that's obvious for pretty much everything in life.

You don't work part-time during medical school, unless you have a high paying job, like a pharmacist or something.

While the part about not working during med school is certainly the case for the vast majority of students in North American schools, I don't know if its the same for Australian ones (different teaching/curriculum styles?). I've seen several posts here where students have definitely worked part time jobs. My question is directed at those particular Canadian students and their experiences.

Well, that's obvious for pretty much everything in life.

While the part about not working during med school is certainly the case for the vast majority of students in North American schools, I don't know if its the same for Australian ones (different teaching/curriculum styles?). I've seen several posts here where students have definitely worked part time jobs. My question is directed at those particular Canadian students and their experiences.

Again, sure you could theoretically work - and im sure the same is for us at Canadian schools during pre-clinical years.

What i moreso meant is that its not worth it unless you're making good money. Your time is more valuable than making 10$/hr.

Reactions: 1 user
You're absolutely right, I've had that same thought up until recently when I started looking into Ausi schools. I was first surprised at the high minimum wage.. and then further surprised with the frequency of students holding part-time jobs at 20+/hr... (and maintaining this for several years). Is it worth it in this scenario? Why/Why not? I dunno, that's what I wish to find out.

As an aside:
There's also the factor of need when comparing Ausi vs NA schools. In NA, and in particular Canada, most accepted students with good credit can secure massive LOCs from pretty much any major bank without a cosign. These LOCs far exceed the tuition/living expenses. I think this alone is enough to dissuade students from doing any sort of work during studies, because it just isn't worth it. This isn't even considering the lower minimum wage.

Whereas the different system in Ausi schools, with a more self-learning style of curriculum (This is purely based on what I've seen on SDN, I may be completely wrong), compounded with the higher tuition/living expenses may be enough of a driving factor for students to pick up a job during their studies. I don't know if this is the norm, or if this is even prevalent, but I do know that it occurs, and it occurs more than in NA.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, I've had that same thought up until recently when I started looking into Ausi schools. I was first surprised at the high minimum wage.. and then further surprised with the frequency of students holding part-time jobs at 20+/hr... (and maintaining this for several years). Is it worth it in this scenario? Why/Why not? I dunno, that's what I wish to find out.

As an aside:
There's also the factor of need when comparing Ausi vs NA schools. In NA, and in particular Canada, most accepted students with good credit can secure massive LOCs from pretty much any major bank without a cosign. These LOCs far exceed the tuition/living expenses. I think this alone is enough to dissuade students from doing any sort of work during studies, because it just isn't worth it. This isn't even considering the lower minimum wage.

Whereas the different system in Ausi schools, with a more self-learning style of curriculum (This is purely based on what I've seen on SDN, I may be completely wrong), compounded with the higher tuition/living expenses may be enough of a driving factor for students to pick up a job during their studies. I don't know if this is the norm, or if this is even prevalent, but I do know that it occurs, and it occurs more than in NA.
As a foreign student at a aussi school, you will also be wanting to take the MCCEEs/NAC OSCes and as well as USMLEs.

You will have it harder than your aussi coutnerparts.

Again, you should make sure you have enough money to attend the school BEFORE YOU EMBARK. Do not bloody plan on working during school as a necessity. Sure if you need extra pocket money for luxuries, but NOT for basic necessity and ability to pay for tuition.

And I can gaurantee that the majority of NA students in aussie, are not working - they just come from well-off families, or middle class families that can support ON TOP of the LOCs and student loans.

Again, it doesnt matter what the curriculum style is, you will still have to spend time learning - AND pick up the slack of the aussie system to PREPARE for the Canadian and US board exams - and there are many of them.

I can't stress this enough- you SHOULD NOT go abroad to medical school, INTENDING on working as a necessity. That is just set up for disaster and stress. You already will have much more stress and work on your plate compared to your foreign classmates.

If bank loans, student loans and savings are NOT enough, then reconsider attending. You shouldn't be needing to work 20 hours per week just to make ends meet, or even 10 hours a week. That is time better spent doing research, studying for boards, making NA connections and such for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
As a foreign student at a aussi school, you will also be wanting to take the MCCEEs/NAC OSCes and as well as USMLEs.

You will have it harder than your aussi coutnerparts.

Again, you should make sure you have enough money to attend the school BEFORE YOU EMBARK. Do not bloody plan on working during school as a necessity. Sure if you need extra pocket money for luxuries, but NOT for basic necessity and ability to pay for tuition.

And I can gaurantee that the majority of NA students in aussie, are not working - they just come from well-off families, or middle class families that can support ON TOP of the LOCs and student loans.

Again, it doesnt matter what the curriculum style is, you will still have to spend time learning - AND pick up the slack of the aussie system to PREPARE for the Canadian and US board exams - and there are many of them.

I can't stress this enough- you SHOULD NOT go abroad to medical school, INTENDING on working as a necessity. That is just set up for disaster and stress. You already will have much more stress and work on your plate compared to your foreign classmates.

If bank loans, student loans and savings are NOT enough, then reconsider attending. You shouldn't be needing to work 20 hours per week just to make ends meet, or even 10 hours a week. That is time better spent doing research, studying for boards, making NA connections and such for residency.

I'm in agreement with many of your points as I'm well aware of the three options I mentioned in my original post, as well as every single requirement for these options. But notice how I'm not really offering points in favour of working. Rather my point of the second half of my post is to gain insight from those Canadians who've gone through this particular path, and their experiences. Unfortunately, while I do greatly appreciate your time for responding and your advice (which I am not being flippant over), I would like to leave the rest of this conversatio to them. --I'm assuming you aren't in an Australian school as you haven't mentioned this. I apologize if this sounds dismissive.

Alternatively, I'm not basing my questions off of mere whims. In addition to several posts on SDN,
I myself know two Canadians (former undergrad classmates) in two different Ausi schools, both who have excelled in USMLEs (245+) while working 1-2 part time jobs for 3 years. But I know very well that these may be exceptions, which is why I would like to gain additional insight from others to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
I sure hope you meant 245+ on the usmles. Because 145 is failing.

And fair enough, I too know half a dozen people in aussi and none of them work to pay the bills like you're suggesting. It would be very difficult.

Unless I'm missing something, and your refereeing to programs that are not 4 year MDs?

Anyhoo good luck

I sure hope you meant 245+ on the usmles. Because 145 is failing.

And fair enough, I too know half a dozen people in aussi and none of them work to pay the bills like you're suggesting. It would be very difficult.

Unless I'm missing something, and your refereeing to programs that are not 4 year MDs?

Anyhoo good luck
Sorry, I edited I meant 245. I'm not suggesting that this is the norm, I hope I'm not conveying this message in my posts-- I'm merely trying to gauge from those that choose to work. Im speaking about the 4 year programs - this is what I plan on attending if I do go this route.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CSA and attended USyd, graduated Dec 2015 and matched to UBC for FM which starts this July.

I had a great time living and studying in Sydney. The people and city are great and the coffee is awesome. The school has a lot of flaws (mostly in the preclinical years prior to STEP 1) but reflecting on my time there, Usyd gave me a lot of opportunities to network, undertake research and complete electives in North america which put me at a great advantage come applying to CaRMS (I didnt end up applying to the states). Having said that, most of my classmates from NA did not try to match and instead opted to stay in Australia (mostly through CMI) for internship. This was for many reasons with lifestyle, the time difference between the academic year of NA vs Australia, and the difficulty of doing really well on all of the board exams probably being the main factors.

1)Matching in Canada/States/Australia --> the best way to cover bases is to aim for/consider all three major options (Canada/States/Australia) --> with that in mind, those who have studied for these tests (MCCQE,USMLE etc,) in the Ausi system, did you find it difficult to juggle all of these in a school that's not really tailored to prepping for these tests?

I wrote step 1 right before 3rd year clerkships began (Dec 31), Step 2 in August, MCCEE 1 week after that, step 2ck and NAC OSCE right after elective in March on the same weekend, and MCCQE1 during my PRINT rotation in October of 4th year. This was a lot of work and I considered studying for these (while doing research) a full time job. As an IMG the higher your scores the better, so aim for the stars. A high Step 1 score will open many doors for you come elective time for the states.

I scored 260s for the steps, 430s for the EE, high 70's for the NAC and 580's for the QE1. I found that self study was much more of an effective use of my time than going to the lectures. During 1st and 2nd year I pretty much went to only the things that I was required to attend and I golfed/went to the beach or studied on my own using First aid, Toronto notes, Pathoma, and the Kaplan videos. If you prepare well for the boards, it easily covers you for the exams that Usyd gives out.

Its very important to get good reference letters, so doing as many electives in NA as possible is crucial. Usyd allows you to do a core block (8 weeks), 8-10 weeks during elective and 4-8 weeks during PRINT overseas. I did 22 weeks of electives throughout Canada and USA. If you are gunning for the states, you really need 2 letters from American attendings.

It sounds like a **** tonne of work and it is, but it is doable. I think there were 12 or so from my class who applied to NA and I think everyone matched.

2) Financing -- largest loan for Canadians studying in med overseas is given by CIBC- 275k @prime interest. + Canadian federal/provincial loans. For Ontario it's 210/wk so approximately 8-10k a year (32-40k/4yrs). Tuition alone can range from 240-280k AUD. Ausi govt calculates living expenses (can vary per city) @ 18500/year. so this equates to approximately 315-350k total debt. How did you guys finance the remainder? (for those in school). How are you planning on financing? (for those considering applying). Are there any scholarships?

Most internationals who are studying at USyd have parents that are subsidizing the cost of tuition and living expenses. I have a LOC for 200K + 50K from government student loans and my parents are covering the rest until I can pay them back (I think they had to refinance their house for me). In total I am about 350K in debt. It is extremely stressful to take on this amount of debt without a guaranteed job at the end of it so you have to keep that in mind and bust your ass for good board scores if your plan is to go back to NA.

I was able to win a few scholarships, but they are competitive and I probably only got 5K from them.

I had a roommate who worked at a clinic part time to help offset the costs, some students tutored but for the most part a lot of the international cohort did not work during medical school. It's also hard to work with the schedule of med school especially during the clerkship years.

You also have to budget the cost of the board exams and the resources required to prepare for them + flights for electives + room & board during electives. This is probably around another 20K. Its a very expensive endeavour.

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask away.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm a CSA and attended USyd, graduated Dec 2015 and matched to UBC for FM which starts this July.

I had a great time living and studying in Sydney. The people and city are great and the coffee is awesome. The school has a lot of flaws (mostly in the preclinical years prior to STEP 1) but reflecting on my time there, Usyd gave me a lot of opportunities to network, undertake research and complete electives in North america which put me at a great advantage come applying to CaRMS (I didnt end up applying to the states). Having said that, most of my classmates from NA did not try to match and instead opted to stay in Australia (mostly through CMI) for internship. This was for many reasons with lifestyle, the time difference between the academic year of NA vs Australia, and the difficulty of doing really well on all of the board exams probably being the main factors.

I wrote step 1 right before 3rd year clerkships began (Dec 31), Step 2 in August, MCCEE 1 week after that, step 2ck and NAC OSCE right after elective in March on the same weekend, and MCCQE1 during my PRINT rotation in October of 4th year. This was a lot of work and I considered studying for these (while doing research) a full time job. As an IMG the higher your scores the better, so aim for the stars. A high Step 1 score will open many doors for you come elective time for the states.

I scored 260s for the steps, 430s for the EE, high 70's for the NAC and 580's for the QE1. I found that self study was much more of an effective use of my time than going to the lectures. During 1st and 2nd year I pretty much went to only the things that I was required to attend and I golfed/went to the beach or studied on my own using First aid, Toronto notes, Pathoma, and the Kaplan videos. If you prepare well for the boards, it easily covers you for the exams that Usyd gives out.

Its very important to get good reference letters, so doing as many electives in NA as possible is crucial. Usyd allows you to do a core block (8 weeks), 8-10 weeks during elective and 4-8 weeks during PRINT overseas. I did 22 weeks of electives throughout Canada and USA. If you are gunning for the states, you really need 2 letters from American attendings.

It sounds like a **** tonne of work and it is, but it is doable. I think there were 12 or so from my class who applied to NA and I think everyone matched.

Most internationals who are studying at USyd have parents that are subsidizing the cost of tuition and living expenses. I have a LOC for 200K + 50K from government student loans and my parents are covering the rest until I can pay them back (I think they had to refinance their house for me). In total I am about 350K in debt. It is extremely stressful to take on this amount of debt without a guaranteed job at the end of it so you have to keep that in mind and bust your ass for good board scores if your plan is to go back to NA.

I was able to win a few scholarships, but they are competitive and I probably only got 5K from them.

I had a roommate who worked at a clinic part time to help offset the costs, some students tutored but for the most part a lot of the international cohort did not work during medical school. It's also hard to work with the schedule of med school especially during the clerkship years.

You also have to budget the cost of the board exams and the resources required to prepare for them + flights for electives + room & board during electives. This is probably around another 20K. Its a very expensive endeavour.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Lots of things to consider.

Hey meatloaf22, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have a few questions if you got some time to answer.

1) Did you end up doing the STEPs for the states but just didn't apply because you matched in CaRMS already? Just trying to figure out if it's hard to do all the exams together (STEPs + MCCEE). Did you find it ok to do all those exams? I guess most of the material is the same so just a matter of format learning. Was most of your self-study just following notes on your end? Is there any tutorial/prep courses ran by the student associations or USyd?

2) Where did you stay in USYD and which clinical schools do you recommend? (I'm a prospective student for USYD this coming cycle). Another other advice on USYD in particular?

3) You said you really need 2 LoRs from the states for residence, so did you end up doing 2 in the states in 2 Canada? Was a rotation at UBC hard to setup? Did USyd offer any assistance or was it purely self-directed rotations, or through student associations? I'm also a resident of BC so UBC Family Med would be awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Federal Government funds Commonwealth Medical Internship Programs has been extended for another 4 years. More to follow from Budget.
Could you kindly post the link to the article? I couldn't find it on google.

Hey meatloaf22, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have a few questions if you got some time to answer.

1) Did you end up doing the STEPs for the states but just didn't apply because you matched in CaRMS already? Just trying to figure out if it's hard to do all the exams together (STEPs + MCCEE). Did you find it ok to do all those exams? I guess most of the material is the same so just a matter of format learning. Was most of your self-study just following notes on your end? Is there any tutorial/prep courses ran by the student associations or USyd?

2) Where did you stay in USYD and which clinical schools do you recommend? (I'm a prospective student for USYD this coming cycle). Another other advice on USYD in particular?

3) You said you really need 2 LoRs from the states for residence, so did you end up doing 2 in the states in 2 Canada? Was a rotation at UBC hard to setup? Did USyd offer any assistance or was it purely self-directed rotations, or through student associations? I'm also a resident of BC so UBC Family Med would be awesome.

It's a lot of work but you can definitely handle doing the Canadian and American Boards concurrently. I did the steps to keep doors open incase I wanted to specialize, but ended up really wanting to come back to BC and I enjoyed my FM rotations so in the end I went for broke, saved the money from applying and travelling all over the states and just applied to CaRMS (which is still really expensive when you have 11 interviews all around Canada).

You'll always get the same advice for writing the steps. Your bibles are First Aid Step 1 & 2ck, Uworld Qbank, Pathoma (great path resource), Kaplan videos (if you have time), and Microbiology Made ridiculously simple, Toronto notes and Canada Q bank (if you are resourceful, you can find most of these videos in the ether). Using these resources, find whatever works for you in terms of studying. I still went over the course material from USyd, but usually I would just skim through the lectures.

There is a group at Usyd called NAMSA that has student run tutorials, tips on timing of exams etc. from upperclassman who have gone through it. The leadership changes every year with graduating classes so it depends on the motivation of the President and others in NAMSA on how good/organized they will be.

I stayed in a suburb called Newtown and thats where a lot of international students stay in the preclinical years. Its kind of like a Davie/Commercial drive area if you are from BC and are familiar with that area. I would recommend either RPA or Northern since they are in the nicest parts of Sydney and are the best hospitals. Nepean is VERY far away from DT Sydney so I would rank that last (although I hear it had great clinical teaching). No real general advice for Syd. Everyone is really laid back and its not a competitive atmosphere at all. Australians really love their dress up parties so get used to wearing Onesies to all the parties. Have as much fun as you can, be social, study your ass off for the boards. You may end up loving the country/culture and decide to stay in Australia forever as many of my friends did.

I did 4 weeks in USA and the rest of my elective time in Canada. It was just easier setting up electives in Canada. UBC is a really easy process, just be mindful of deadlines and be open to taking what is available. Setting up electives is mostly self directed and you have to start doing your research at the beginning of 3rd year. If the states is your goal make sure Step 1 is done before you apply for electives -which begins Dec - March of 4th year - so you want to have step 1 done early 3rd year if possible.

I was told by a Program director during my elective that if I wanted to match to the states, it was strongly recommended to get 2 reference letters from American Attendings (on top of good board scores). This is especially true since I didn't have any visa's or status in USA. Generally you are allowed to submit 3 letters for each program you apply to.

Lastly, you should note that getting into UBC as an IMG is stupidly competitive. Like 1100 applicants for less than 60 spots. You need to ace your EE (> 95th percentile), NAC OSCE (the consensus is > 80 but i matched with a 78), and have amazing reference letters. Even still I think I was very lucky to match to my top choice. Ontario seems more reasonable with their larger number of positions available (still an extremely competitive process though).

Best of luck at Usyd! The time really flies by and as stoked as I am to be back in BC about to start residency, I already really miss Sydney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's a lot of work but you can definitely handle doing the Canadian and American Boards concurrently. I did the steps to keep doors open incase I wanted to specialize, but ended up really wanting to come back to BC and I enjoyed my FM rotations so in the end I went for broke, saved the money from applying and travelling all over the states and just applied to CaRMS (which is still really expensive when you have 11 interviews all around Canada).

You'll always get the same advice for writing the steps. Your bibles are First Aid Step 1 & 2ck, Uworld Qbank, Pathoma (great path resource), Kaplan videos (if you have time), and Microbiology Made ridiculously simple, Toronto notes and Canada Q bank (if you are resourceful, you can find most of these videos in the ether). Using these resources, find whatever works for you in terms of studying. I still went over the course material from USyd, but usually I would just skim through the lectures.

There is a group at Usyd called NAMSA that has student run tutorials, tips on timing of exams etc. from upperclassman who have gone through it. The leadership changes every year with graduating classes so it depends on the motivation of the President and others in NAMSA on how good/organized they will be.

I stayed in a suburb called Newtown and thats where a lot of international students stay in the preclinical years. Its kind of like a Davie/Commercial drive area if you are from BC and are familiar with that area. I would recommend either RPA or Northern since they are in the nicest parts of Sydney and are the best hospitals. Nepean is VERY far away from DT Sydney so I would rank that last (although I hear it had great clinical teaching). No real general advice for Syd. Everyone is really laid back and its not a competitive atmosphere at all. Australians really love their dress up parties so get used to wearing Onesies to all the parties. Have as much fun as you can, be social, study your ass off for the boards. You may end up loving the country/culture and decide to stay in Australia forever as many of my friends did.

I did 4 weeks in USA and the rest of my elective time in Canada. It was just easier setting up electives in Canada. UBC is a really easy process, just be mindful of deadlines and be open to taking what is available. Setting up electives is mostly self directed and you have to start doing your research at the beginning of 3rd year. If the states is your goal make sure Step 1 is done before you apply for electives -which begins Dec - March of 4th year - so you want to have step 1 done early 3rd year if possible.

I was told by a Program director during my elective that if I wanted to match to the states, it was strongly recommended to get 2 reference letters from American Attendings (on top of good board scores). This is especially true since I didn't have any visa's or status in USA. Generally you are allowed to submit 3 letters for each program you apply to.

Lastly, you should note that getting into UBC as an IMG is stupidly competitive. Like 1100 applicants for less than 60 spots. You need to ace your EE (> 95th percentile), NAC OSCE (the consensus is > 80 but i matched with a 78), and have amazing reference letters. Even still I think I was very lucky to match to my top choice. Ontario seems more reasonable with their larger number of positions available (still an extremely competitive process though).

Best of luck at Usyd! The time really flies by and as stoked as I am to be back in BC about to start residency, I already really miss Sydney.

Thanks for all the insight! Enjoy your time off till residency. Congrats on matching.

Hey guys, I haven't seen a central post for this, and most of the info is scattered in several posts/outdated. I thought I'd start one off here and see where things go. If you're Canadian, and applying to any school in Australia, and have Canadian-related concerns please feel free to post here. Also, those Canadians who are already in these programs, your advice will be greatly appreciated. Relevant topics include matching back to Canada as IMG (Or CSA I guess is also a term used), or US, school-related topics, financing, the application process itself, staying in Australia, etc.

I'll start things off, - I've applied to Sydney, UQ, Griffiths, Flinders, Deakin, and Monash -- most through ISA. Some of my concerns include:

some links:

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010_CSA_Report/CaRMS_2010_CSA_Report.pdf <-- Survey done in 2010, they're doing another one this year --> hope to see what the changes look like.

http://www.carms.ca/en/data-and-reports/r-1/reports-2015/ Match statistics for 2015

I was just wondering whether you contacted CIBC in regards to the loan for Canadians studying medicine overseas. I have contacted CIBC multiple times now, and all the advisors I have reached seems to be adamant that the loans are only available for students who are studying at Canadian Universities. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

I was just wondering whether you contacted CIBC in regards to the loan for Canadians studying medicine overseas. I have contacted CIBC multiple times now, and all the advisors I have reached seems to be adamant that the loans are only available for students who are studying at Canadian Universities. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

are you in Toronto? if so contact this guy named Nalin @ [email protected]. For anything outside of Canada you need a strong co-signer to secure the full 275k @ prime.

2) Financing -- largest loan for Canadians studying in med overseas is given by CIBC- 275k @Prime interest. + Canadian federal/provincial loans. For Ontario it's 210/wk so approximately 8-10k a year (32-40k/4yrs). Tuition alone can range from 240-280k AUD. Ausi govt calculates living expenses (can vary per city) @ 18500/year. so this equates to approximately 315-350k total debt. How did you guys finance the remainder? (for those in school). How are you planning on financing? (for those considering applying). Are there any scholarships?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I was wondering if you can provide a bit of insight on how you ultimately decided on choosing an Australian school.

Hello!

I have a ton of questions as it is a recent decision for me to apply to medical school so hopefully someone has the patience to help me out.

I am a Canadian pharmacist that graduated from UBC. After working a few years, I basically decided for certain a few months ago that I want to begin medical school ASAP.

I don't have competitive enough grades for UBC (and I assumed other Canadian schools), and I've been out of school for a while so any volunteer, academic research or letters of reference would be outdated and hard to come by. (Everything recent that I have involves business management via internal corporate training). I'm not interested in returning to school as an "unclassified student" to raise my grades after having 6 years worth of full-time credits and a low 70s average which would take many credits to pull up. I'm fortunate to have savings and financial support from family (plus still being a pharmacist as a backup plan if *knock on wood* I fail out). I have a couple of friends in UQ and Sydney doing medicine that I heard the idea from and thought I would love to live in Australia for a change for a few years so I applied to UQ, Sydney, and Monash through Oztrekk. Oztrekk basically told me that my MCAT score is competitive for UQ but not Sydney. I am rewriting my MCAT since I thought Sydney might be a city that I like more and they have more weeks of rotations that you can do in Canada, and start hands-on training immediately rather than after 2 years of course work. However, this was simply a "preference" and if I don't get into Sydney, I thought that I would still go to UQ.

Everything seemed fairly straightforward where I figured that I would go, work hard, try to match to Canadian residencies; and if not, do my internship & apply again; or go ahead with a residency in Australia, then come back and work in Canada eventually; or really like Australia and stay there.

However, once I came across sdn and read up on peoples posts, I am now really worried and feel that I haven't nearly looked into my options enough. I came across info such as:
1) even if you do your internship and residency in Australia, you still might not be able to come back if you're doing specialties other than family medicine
2) even if you complete your full training in Australia, you'll still have to do a return of service
3) even though the schools allow you to have Canadian rotations, it's hard to get one (which would then make it hard to get a residency)

I've just tried reading up on other options such as UK and Ireland came across the information that you have the back up plan to work in the UK but not in Ireland if you can't come back to Canada or the States.
4) do you have the back up plan of working in Australia for long term afterwards or is it like Ireland?

I also have a couple of colleagues from pharmacy school that went to Caribbean schools like SABA for much cheaper and read on here that:
5) you have better Canadian residency matching opportunities if you do your rotations in the states
6) it is preferable to go to a US school > any of the international schools if you're trying to come back to Canada
...I hadn't looked at any US schools just because I assumed the usual popular place like Cali and NY would be no less competitive than Canadian schools and both Sydney and UQ rank quite high in the world but if 6 is true than that would change things
7) IF it is preferable to go to a US school, which schools might you recommend that are about as "easy" to get into as UQ

Can someone please help clarify the numbered points that I brought up?
Any other insight on decision-making, pros/cons between international options would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm kinda exhausted at the moment. and yet I'm on SDN.
Apologies if my responses are short and possibly sarcastic.

1. Yes.
you can look at the graphs and match rates on CARMS.
For eg: Match results by discipline of preference for IMGs
(amazingly easy to google too !)

For canada & the us, it's all about who you know - as in, if you want something competitive, you damn well need to rotate through that field as a student on elective to get a letter of recommendation. they prefer hiring who've they've worked with before (or someone in their field who's worked with you). Not like Family Med is particularly 'easy' for IMGs to get anyway. (Same for Australia actually and any other Western country. It's the referees that get you into vocational training)

2. yes.
but only if you have to sign up for the federally funded Commonwealth Internships (released between Nov-Dec - 1-2 months before internship in January each year) and i.e. you failed to get a state funded internship - which is released between July-December. roughly. CMIs - carry a return of service that is 48 weeks (a year roughly). but you have 5 years to complete it, and it includes any rural rotations you do as an intern. if you work at a rural hospital for a year, you essentially complete return of service.
seeing as the majority of international stduents currently end up in rural internship if they choose to stay in Australia (the last few years and even now), does it really matter if you get return of service?

Regardless, Australia "forces" you to do rural rotations some time during your training (very generally speaking). even if you do a state funded internship or residency years, some of the big tertiary hospitals rotate their residents and interns to rural and remote hospitals that do not have their own workforce. plenty of people (international or domestic) went ah ha! i got a tertiary hospital and then got shipped out by said hospital to their rural sites for 6 months. bazinga!

3. yes.
expect to plan a year in advance and potentially go through administrative hell.
do not expect your australian school to comprehend how the canadian system (or any american systems for that matter) works and vice versa. be ready to drop a few grand minimum for the privilege of both applying and getting an elective.

Last edited:
I'm kinda exhausted at the moment. and yet I'm on SDN.
Apologies if my responses are short and possibly sarcastic.

1. Yes.
you can look at the graphs and match rates on CARMS.
For eg: Match results by discipline of preference for IMGs
(amazingly easy to google too !)

For canada & the us, it's all about who you know - as in, if you want something competitive, you damn well need to rotate through that field as a student on elective to get a letter of recommendation. they prefer hiring who've they've worked with before (or someone in their field who's worked with you). Not like Family Med is particularly 'easy' for IMGs to get anyway. (Same for Australia actually and any other Western country. It's the referees that get you into vocational training)

2. yes.
but only if you have to sign up for the federally funded Commonwealth Internships (released between Nov-Dec - 1-2 months before internship in January each year) and i.e. you failed to get a state funded internship - which is released between July-December. roughly. CMIs - carry a return of service that is 48 weeks (a year roughly). but you have 5 years to complete it, and it includes any rural rotations you do as an intern. if you work at a rural hospital for a year, you essentially complete return of service.
seeing as the majority of international stduents currently end up in rural internship if they choose to stay in Australia (the last few years and even now), does it really matter if you get return of service?

Regardless, Australia "forces" you to do rural rotations some time during your training (very generally speaking). even if you do a state funded internship or residency years, some of the big tertiary hospitals rotate their residents and interns to rural and remote hospitals that do not have their own workforce. plenty of people (international or domestic) went ah ha! i got a tertiary hospital and then got shipped out by said hospital to their rural sites for 6 months. bazinga!

3. yes.
expect to plan a year in advance and potentially go through administrative hell.
do not expect your australian school to comprehend how the canadian system (or any american systems for that matter) works and vice versa. be ready to drop a few grand minimum for the privilege of both applying and getting an elective.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I apologize as I must've been unclear with my questions or more confused about the process than I thought because...

1) I have looked at the CARMS graphs for IMGs which is why my question is whether you may STILL not be able to work in Canada (get a Canadian license to practice) AFTER completing your internship and residency in Australia. I thought CARMS matching is for graduates who HAVEN'T completed residency and if you're all "done" in Australia, ex. 4 years for GP after your 4 year medical degree, you wouldn't have to worry about getting a Canadian residency and it would just be a matter of writing the appropriate exams to come home. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

My question basically stemmed from coming across horror stories of Canadians who are specialists that have fully completed their training abroad but couldn't go back to practice in Canada because there was no "need" or vacancies for those specialties and I wasn't sure if this is a one off situation or fairly common.
The specialty I'm most interested in at the moment is pediatrics. Prior to graduating pharmacy school I spent 5 years as a weekly volunteer on the wards at the children's hospital and recently I've started again in ICU but I assume this level of involvement would not be" worth much" in terms of coming back to work in Canada since I'm not "working" with any doctors at the hospital and this type of experience would be something that's more of a "medical school applicant-level" rather than residency candidate or coming back as a fully trained specialist-level experience.

2) I should've specified that the ROS I was referring to is in Canada. Perhaps "ROS" is not the right term either. I was trying to ask, after completing your full training in Australia, if you want to come back to work in Canada, do you need to work in a rural community/only get issued a partial-license that limits where you work in Canada? I saw the ROS details for IMGs that get residencies via the information provided on the provincial section of CARMs but I have had trouble navigating the specifics for someone who has already completed residency abroad-it seems to be province AND specialty specific and "up to their judgement".

3) Thanks again for letting me know!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I apologize as I must've been unclear with my questions or more confused about the process than I thought because...

1) I have looked at the CARMS graphs for IMGs which is why my question is whether you may STILL not be able to work in Canada (get a Canadian license to practice) AFTER completing your internship and residency in Australia. I thought CARMS matching is for graduates who HAVEN'T completed residency and if you're all "done" in Australia, ex. 4 years for GP after your 4 year medical degree, you wouldn't have to worry about getting a Canadian residency and it would just be a matter of writing the appropriate exams to come home. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Lol, thanks for the capitals. How did you know my eyesight was bad?
jerry-seinfeld-glasses.gif

Residency in Australia is not like "residency" in canada and the usa.
neither is internship. if you apply back to canada after the Australian intern year, it's no different to canada than if you were a student.
residents in Australia re-apply for their positions every year and are called house officers. (after a few years of 'residency' you can then apply for registrar training in Australia - you may as well learn the lingo if you're going to Australia. Registrar training is not exactly like 'residency' in the USA and Canada either, but it is how Australians finish their vocational training. It follows the UK system, where..Canada and the US erm. follow each other).

my apologies, did not pick up the first time what you meant (even though I should - hence predicating my post with - i'm really beat from work), i.e. what are your chances after you finish training.

those are highly specific questions I can't answer and would suggest that you take it up with the canadian doctors in the Canadian forum.

Only GP training - due to mutual agreement between Canada and Australia - allow you to easily go back to Canada after finishing up GP training in Australia. and vice versa. I can't tell you the details farther from that. literally. i've only heard of this mythical thing. much like agreements that the UK and Australia have. It may require some rotations under supervision, but no exams I think.

Paediatrics is..
well, sure let's call it a specialty.
It's more primary care if you were ask me and more of a general field, similar to how internal medicine is for adults.
as you cover 'everything' ish within paeds. there's a need for paediatricians, particularly rural. Not really paediatric specialties however (i.e. Paediatric endocrinology)

I wouldn't think you'd have to re-do paeds residency, but yea, clinical supervision by another paediatrician for a number of months and exams. Apart from that, I have no specific answer to offer you. i'm in Australia. I'm not a paediatrician. Have you talked to a Canadian paediatrician about any of this? particularly IMG background ones?

Paediatric training is highly competitive in Australia fyi. There's fewer spots for it compared to say internal medicine or GP.
Everyone has to do years of residency (so the years after internship) in a paediatric hospital and there's essentially only one paeds hospital per Australian state. it's very challenging for people to even get to be a Paeds residents at those hospitals, but once they're in, only then are they really able to apply for registrar training to finish off their training. So we're talking years here, after intern year, it's at least another 5-6 (or more) years to become a paediatrician. It's challenging to get into paeds. I've known highly qualified individuals who've applied for the privilege of just being a resident at a paeds hospital for years and then have to give up and settle for GP training. Training itself is also rigourous and demanding. the exit exams are gruelling. by the time you finish school + postgrad, it will have been 10 years or more. also, i would never advertise to the Australians that you intend to go home after getting fully trained by them (they won't like that - that's if you get so far as to get to apply for paeds residency/reg training).

It's rare for people to move from one Western country to another after finishing their training.
no two western countries are the same. after you do 10-12 years of training in one country, you're attuned to how they work and function. have you considered the possibility that you'll also have set up roots - house, car, kids, significant other? most grad entry students with prior degrees will be in their mid 30s to 40s by the time they're done everything. It's also harder to give up networks. i would not overlook the importance of having people you trust to whom you can make referrals to and vice versa. they're more likely to be accepting of you if you've worked with them before or trained with them. True you can rebuild these, just saying they're hard to give up after you've been deeply entrenched into a particular location and system.

My question basically stemmed from coming across horror stories of Canadians who are specialists that have fully completed their training abroad but couldn't go back to practice in Canada because there was no "need" or vacancies for those specialties and I wasn't sure if this is a one off situation or fairly common.
The specialty I'm most interested in at the moment is pediatrics. Prior to graduating pharmacy school I spent 5 years as a weekly volunteer on the wards at the children's hospital and recently I've started again in ICU but I assume this level of involvement would not be" worth much" in terms of coming back to work in Canada since I'm not "working" with any doctors at the hospital and this type of experience would be something that's more of a "medical school applicant-level" rather than residency candidate or coming back as a fully trained specialist-level experience.

Just don't pick a paediatric subspecialty and you wont' be at risk of falling into the 'no need' category.

be open to working as a rural paediatrician (or a regional one, just not major city).
There's also nothing wrong with being a GP that focuses on paediatrics.

The nightmare situations are often foreseeable from medical school once you start rotating and making connections while on rotations, that's if you do a bit of digging. if you're interested in an area, people higher up will tell you what they think and where they think their particular field is heading towards.

even in Australia, there are subspecialties that have very few jobs around after training for attendings.

general rule of thumb, however, subspecialties that are tied to large tertiary hospitals have fewer positions. there's less of a need for them. wheareas the more community based you are, or if the position could be offered at smaller hospitals, the more positions there will be. because there's more smaller hospital around than tertiary ones. no one's going to fund more doctors of a particular area than necessary. not unless you go private - which you can't do in Canada.

Volunteering as a premed is not the same thing as going on clinical rotations as a final year medical student after 3-4 years of medical training. you can keep it on the cv, to show that you were interested in paeds since before med school. but it isn't going to have nearly the same weight as having paediatric research done during medical school and experience on rotation. extracurriculars that stand out are more than just weekly volunteering, it would be like..you headed a volunteer organization involved in paeds in some way. things that show leadership. because that's what will be expected of you as a doctor - to lead. Regardless, leave the 5 years of volunteering on the CV if you go to apply for jobs later. the accumulation of time still means something.

And that away rotation as a final year to say north america, or what's called the Sub-I or subinternship - it's your audition to that country or hospital. they are testing your skills as a doctor-to-be, you get patients to manage as if you were a (very junior) doctor (under close supervision).

i'd recommend that you shadow a friendly paediatrician in Canada, set up some connections that way. Then do electives or rotations with them later. get some mentoring. it also makes for much better LORs and referees in future, as they can say they will have known you for years and seen you grow as a clinician. You need a way in.

2) I should've specified that the ROS I was referring to is in Canada. Perhaps "ROS" is not the right term either. I was trying to ask, after completing your full training in Australia, if you want to come back to work in Canada, do you need to work in a rural community/only get issued a partial-license that limits where you work in Canada? I saw the ROS details for IMGs that get residencies via the information provided on the provincial section of CARMs but I have had trouble navigating the specifics for someone who has already completed residency abroad-it seems to be province AND specialty specific and "up to their judgement".

Again..I think many of your questions are better suited to the Canadian forum, where there will be practicing doctors there that are presently in Canada and were previously IMGs (or are working with them). ..as a warning. you may or may not get some unfriendly comments (hopefully not), as it is the internet and there is prejudice and stigma attached to having a "foreign" medical degree (whether citizen or not to that country). just filter through those to get the advice you're after.

Residency carries a ROS because you're 'returning a favour' to the government, taxpayers etc. It's training. It's a resource.
if you're fully trained by another country, in a sense Canada's getting a fully trained one 'for free'. less strings attached I would presume. but I have no idea.

Also, all these questions specific to returning to canada..
I gather you've realized that you're trying to find answers to some thing that is 10 years away.
Who knows what will change then. More than likely not much. But you never know.

Last edited:
Lol, thanks for the capitals. How did you know my eyesight was bad?
jerry-seinfeld-glasses.gif

Residency in Australia is not like "residency" in canada and the usa.
neither is internship. if you apply back to canada after the Australian intern year, it's no different to canada than if you were a student.
residents in Australia re-apply for their positions every year and are called house officers. (after a few years of 'residency' you can then apply for registrar training in Australia - you may as well learn the lingo if you're going to Australia. Registrar training is not exactly like 'residency' in the USA and Canada either, but it is how Australians finish their vocational training. It follows the UK system, where..Canada and the US erm. follow each other).

my apologies, did not pick up the first time what you meant (even though I should - hence predicating my post with - i'm really beat from work), i.e. what are your chances after you finish training.

those are highly specific questions I can't answer and would suggest that you take it up with the canadian doctors in the Canadian forum.

Only GP training - due to mutual agreement between Canada and Australia - allow you to easily go back to Canada after finishing up GP training in Australia. and vice versa. I can't tell you the details farther from that. literally. i've only heard of this mythical thing. much like agreements that the UK and Australia have. It may require some rotations under supervision, but no exams I think.

Paediatrics is..
well, sure let's call it a specialty.
It's more primary care if you were ask me and more of a general field, similar to how internal medicine is for adults.
as you cover 'everything' ish within paeds. there's a need for paediatricians, particularly rural. Not really paediatric specialties however (i.e. Paediatric endocrinology)

I wouldn't think you'd have to re-do paeds residency, but yea, clinical supervision by another paediatrician for a number of months and exams. Apart from that, I have no specific answer to offer you. i'm in Australia. I'm not a paediatrician. Have you talked to a Canadian paediatrician about any of this? particularly IMG background ones?

Paediatric training is highly competitive in Australia fyi. There's fewer spots for it compared to say internal medicine or GP.
Everyone has to do years of residency (so the years after internship) in a paediatric hospital and there's essentially only one paeds hospital per Australian state. it's very challenging for people to even get to be a Paeds residents at those hospitals, but once they're in, only then are they really able to apply for registrar training to finish off their training. So we're talking years here, after intern year, it's at least another 5-6 (or more) years to become a paediatrician. It's challenging to get into paeds. I've known highly qualified individuals who've applied for the privilege of just being a resident at a paeds hospital for years and then have to give up and settle for GP training. Training itself is also rigourous and demanding. the exit exams are gruelling. by the time you finish school + postgrad, it will have been 10 years or more. also, i would never advertise to the Australians that you intend to go home after getting fully trained by them (they won't like that - that's if you get so far as to get to apply for paeds residency/reg training).

It's rare for people to move from one Western country to another after finishing their training.
no two western countries are the same. after you do 10-12 years of training in one country, you're attuned to how they work and function. have you considered the possibility that you'll also have set up roots - house, car, kids, significant other? most grad entry students with prior degrees will be in their mid 30s to 40s by the time they're done everything. It's also harder to give up networks. i would not overlook the importance of having people you trust to whom you can make referrals to and vice versa. they're more likely to be accepting of you if you've worked with them before or trained with them. True you can rebuild these, just saying they're hard to give up after you've been deeply entrenched into a particular location and system.

Just don't pick a paediatric subspecialty and you wont' be at risk of falling into the 'no need' category.

be open to working as a rural paediatrician (or a regional one, just not major city).
There's also nothing wrong with being a GP that focuses on paediatrics.

The nightmare situations are often foreseeable from medical school once you start rotating and making connections while on rotations, that's if you do a bit of digging. if you're interested in an area, people higher up will tell you what they think and where they think their particular field is heading towards.

even in Australia, there are subspecialties that have very few jobs around after training for attendings.

general rule of thumb, however, subspecialties that are tied to large tertiary hospitals have fewer positions. there's less of a need for them. wheareas the more community based you are, or if the position could be offered at smaller hospitals, the more positions there will be. because there's more smaller hospital around than tertiary ones. no one's going to fund more doctors of a particular area than necessary. not unless you go private - which you can't do in Canada.

Volunteering as a premed is not the same thing as going on clinical rotations as a final year medical student after 3-4 years of medical training. you can keep it on the cv, to show that you were interested in paeds since before med school. but it isn't going to have nearly the same weight as having paediatric research done during medical school and experience on rotation. extracurriculars that stand out are more than just weekly volunteering, it would be like..you headed a volunteer organization involved in paeds in some way. things that show leadership. because that's what will be expected of you as a doctor - to lead. Regardless, leave the 5 years of volunteering on the CV if you go to apply for jobs later. the accumulation of time still means something.

And that away rotation as a final year to say north america, or what's called the Sub-I or subinternship - it's your audition to that country or hospital. they are testing your skills as a doctor-to-be, you get patients to manage as if you were a (very junior) doctor (under close supervision).

i'd recommend that you shadow a friendly paediatrician in Canada, set up some connections that way. Then do electives or rotations with them later. get some mentoring. it also makes for much better LORs and referees in future, as they can say they will have known you for years and seen you grow as a clinician. You need a way in.

Again..I think many of your questions are better suited to the Canadian forum, where there will be practicing doctors there that are presently in Canada and were previously IMGs (or are working with them). ..as a warning. you may or may not get some unfriendly comments (hopefully not), as it is the internet and there is prejudice and stigma attached to having a "foreign" medical degree (whether citizen or not to that country). just filter through those to get the advice you're after.

Residency carries a ROS because you're 'returning a favour' to the government, taxpayers etc. It's training. It's a resource.
if you're fully trained by another country, in a sense Canada's getting a fully trained one 'for free'. less strings attached I would presume. but I have no idea.

Also, all these questions specific to returning to canada..
I gather you've realized that you're trying to find answers to some thing that is 10 years away.
Who knows what will change then. More than likely not much. But you never know.

Thank you so much for all the details. Will definitely look into your recommendations.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I was wondering if you can provide a bit of insight on how you ultimately decided on choosing an Australian school.

I really liked Sydney as a city. UQ seemed like a diploma mill to me as they had a class of over 500 and they just blindly accepted me after I applied without even speaking to me which I thought was weird. I'm sure its a great school, but that was just my thinking on how I ultimately decided to go to Usyd.

I think you are the first person I've ever seen with a 260+ step score who went into family med. Absolute madman, good on ya mate!

Haha its just a score that means nothing to Canadian institutions. For me, lifestyle and my family situation helped pull me in the direction of family med. The thought of a 5 year residency plus 2-3 year fellowship did not seem too appealing. Also with FM in Canada you have a lot of options with Maternity, Hospitalist, Emergency or Anesthesia fellowships.

Hello, I am a Canadian looking to apply to UQ and U of sydney medical schools. I'm looking at the application for UQ and it looks surprisingly simple.. All it asks is for me to fill in my personal information, my previous degree and to show proof of my MCAT, transcript, english proficiency and award certificate. The simplicity of this online application makes me a little nervous as I was able to finish filling everything in a few hours. Is this ALL I have to do?! Am I missing something? Can anyone comment? Thank you so much!

Hello, I am a Canadian looking to apply to UQ and U of sydney medical schools. I'm looking at the application for UQ and it looks surprisingly simple.. All it asks is for me to fill in my personal information, my previous degree and to show proof of my MCAT, transcript, english proficiency and award certificate. The simplicity of this online application makes me a little nervous as I was able to finish filling everything in a few hours. Is this ALL I have to do?! Am I missing something? Can anyone comment? Thank you so much!

yes it is that simple.
no you are not missing anything.
in fact if you make their minimum cut off (which is not high), I will guarantee that you will get in. No interview either. no need to be nervous about getting into an Australian school as a full-fee paying international student.

there are reasons for this.
Not pretty ones either - so I'm not going to go further into this unless you wish to know. Maybe use the search function a bit and do some exploring of all the forums as a whole, not just this particular one.

yes it is that simple.
no you are not missing anything.
in fact if you make their minimum cut off (which is not high), I will guarantee that you will get in. No interview either. no need to be nervous about getting into an Australian school as a full-fee paying international student.

there are reasons for this.
Not pretty ones either - so I'm not going to go further into this unless you wish to know. Maybe use the search function a bit and do some exploring of all the forums as a whole, not just this particular one.

Uqo had no interview but every other one i.applied to had interview POEs and certain mcat reqs eg. Usyd rejected a 516 mcat according to someone here. The overall lack of a gpa req is puzzling tho, can you explain that?

Ive seen your posts and i get that they milk internationals, but with the amount of applicants cant they be selective while exploitative?

Okay sure, some do interviews, and some don't.
doesn't matter. you will still get into a medical school in Australia. that's the overall gist.
Does it really matter to you where so long as you get into something? Preferably with a world ranking is what usually people go by. Not that i would suggest this as a good idea. but I get that majority of offshore students have no idea what the medical schools are like Australia. that's the only measuring stick they've got.

why ask about selectivity? Is it that you want them to be selective or believe they are?
sure they are minimally selective to a degree to make it easier to fill their quotas.
it's less work. it's an incredible amount of work schools in North America do.

And why care about the number of applicants into medical school?

So few premeds care to think about what comes after medical school, as if all your problems will solve themselves after you get in. I'm not judging this, it is simply difficult or challenging to think very thoroughly about some distant future when you've very limited exposure. There's no requirement of doctor shadowing hours for the Australian schools to help you understand things a little better either.

The real issue is more that they take in so many applicants but make no meaningful effort in helping them actually do something with their degrees after. what they actually do is make opaque claims that the degree will help you get somewhere in and of itself. acknowledge that indeed it's hard to get residency (postgraduate training) after med school, but they can't tell you how or why or how to approach it. the point is profit in taking so many without having any intent to actually use them after, if I were to simplify it. some of the schools believe they're doing a service, they provide you with a degree, you do whatever else it takes to apply for residency in your own home country. they've fulfilled someone's dreams. but the only benefit you give to them is your tuition at least right now.

10-20 years ago it was different, during the Australian doctor shortage era, but we were are very much past this time. it's been in the news, the AMA, everywhere, if you google. oversupply of doctors in Australia.

As for lack of gpa or very low ones set. you've answered your own question via your rhetorical question ironically.
they need full fee paying international medical schools for the tuition fees they bring in. if they set it too high they will won't be able to fill their quotas. there's only so many truly stellar candidates to go around all the different offshore schools.

It's different to a situation where, you have a hospital you need to fill.
Hence, opening up a medical school in order to train students from scratch through it, to fill it with residents that have grown up in your hospital. Very roughly, this is how UQO came to be, and hence why you're pumped into NOLA.

it's not just international student numbers increasing, they've also increased domestic student numbers. reasons for them have been more political than do to with money or finances. there's been a growth in the number of medical schools. there's so many papers on this in the conversation and AMSA if you give it a google. when i'm less tired from work i'll link them.

while med school is a cornerstone to becoming a doctor, without residency, it's just a fancy bit of paper. preparing for that next step is work too, and you do that almost entirely on your own as an international student. Obviously it's different for domestic Australians.

the thing that irks me is how damaging this is to the training pipeline or residency in Australia.
and how damaging it is afterwards too. there's only so many attending positions to go around in the cities or so many fellowships for subspecialties like cardiology. meanwhile, there's still a shortage in the rural communities, not enough trainees or grads wish to be rural practitioners/family doctors/attendings.

Uqo had no interview but every other one i.applied to had interview POEs and certain mcat reqs eg. Usyd rejected a 516 mcat according to someone here. The overall lack of a gpa req is puzzling tho, can you explain that?

Ive seen your posts and i get that they milk internationals, but with the amount of applicants cant they be selective while exploitative?

@Bigchau oftentimes high scoring students get rejected because they applied too late in the application cycle. Not sure what happened to this 516 MCAT sydney applicant, but it could have been the reason. That or he completely blew the interview.

Also @medanon19 The more selective they become the fewer students who will apply because they will go somewhere else. Despite this, I think that overall, Australian schools have gotten a little more selective over the years, but it is highly dependent on their yield year to year as their university budgets are highly dependent on full fee paying spots being fully taken up.

You also have to remember that not everyone has access to the kinds of funds required to become a full fee paying international student who has to give up 4 years of income potential to go back to school. It can cost almost 400k in loans or private funds especially with interest. Factor in living expenses. Students are invested in their education with so much on the line.

Schools are not responsible for whether you are able to find a job afterwards or not. Some poorly performing students will also fail out.

I do not see much of a difference in academic performance between full fee paying and domestic students regardless, so I wouldn't worry too much about the simpleness of the application or perceived "easiness" to get into. Schools recognize that as long as students meet a certain GPA and MCAT threshold they can be successful at the next level.

US schools require more extensive extracurriculars and interviews but that has no bearing on whether someone will be successful at this level academically. In fact, having such a straightforward application process is a blessing.

At the end of the day just remember universities who take international students are also a business and not just academic centers and need that money to operate.

@meatloaf22 keep us looped in how your education at Sydney is going. There is lots of info on these forums regarding UQ since so many international students attend, but comparatively little info on Sydney med. I myself am curious as to how they stack up with one another.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part.
where I don't is the idea that you should not worry about the simpleness of getting in.
I do not see much of a difference in academic performance between full fee paying and domestic students regardless, so I wouldn't worry too much about the simpleness of the application or perceived "easiness" to get into. Schools recognize that as long as students meet a certain GPA and MCAT threshold they can be successful at the next level.

The perspective on this is going to vary, because it's highly subjective topic.
I'm responding as someone who recently graduated and is currently working in Australia. Feeling the pipeline issues. Versus a medical student at UQO who is going to return to the US for residency and has not yet started working. Not calling you out on this, or invalidating your comments. Just saying, what I used to think about the situation changed as I went from being a premed, to being a student, to being a resident. I expect to think differently as my training changes. Had I gone overseas instead and become disconnected to residency in Australia, I'm sure I would think differently.

(On that note, I would recommend that premeds use the search function and look at the responses from gonnif, aProgramDirector, GynGyn about your chances of matching at home after going off-shore. that's if this is your goal. They also represent senior faculty or advisers. So their advice is often more accurate and precise than both medical students and residents. That's not really rocket science. Attendings know more than students and residents - obvious some are more in the know than others, based on their interests.)

Academic performance-wise. agree, it doesn't make a difference while you go through an Australian medical school, but we do notice after you come out and become an intern or resident. People do get fired from internship or residency. Or they don't advance into competitive fellowships (or registrar positions if you stay in Australia). It's getting increasingly competitive to get into anything that isn't FM or rural FM. And currently, you could be a stellar applicant, but by merely being of an international background, it still means you likely won't get into an ultra-competitive specialty or an ultra-competitive tertiary hospital. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter as much.

My point is for pre meds to question the medical school and why do they make it so easy and simple. As in rhetorically.

I've said this in other threads, consider your sources of information thoughtfully. You guys as premeds from North America have undergraduate (or graduate degrees), what did you get taught about bias, what did you get taught about resources when you're compiling references for a term paper? Put the information together from multiple resources. Think critically about how you choose to invest your time, your energy, and your tuition/loans. Be a few steps ahead. I don't get why you can apply your learning to random topics your undergrad schools give you, but you can't do it for your futures.

Your choices now, will have an effect on your future after medical school, more than you know right now. So be careful. Don't put on blinders and go wow, I got into an Australian medical school, nothing negative is ever going to happen to me ever again. what everyone else says is hearsay..

For instance, by choosing Australia/offshore, you restrict your choices when it comes to either returning home or staying in Australia, that is the way it is right now. If you're okay with this great, if not, you should probably dig a little further for your own sake. Having the IMG label, for many various reasons (some of them valid), means by and large you will end up in rural FM or IM. By being an international student in Australia choosing to work in Australia (or forced because you couldn't match at home or failed the boards, or failed to take them), majority of you will end up in a rural hospital. Domestic students will always come first in any Western country. You also may not get the career you started out wanting as a premed or med student. You can say it's okay now, but it's really hard to determine what you're suited to be or what you can bear to do on the job until much later. It requires a strong stomach and flexible attitude. And this just doesn't apply to everyone I went to school with or students I've had as a resident.

As pointed out above, education in Australia is now about business. that is now their agenda and goal. I'm not being critical of faculty or doctors in the system. Many of them are often between a rock and hard place. Just that the recruitment side is about telling you what you want to hear, like any other sales rep. Also, fundamentally, it's not your interests that are the schools' priority (even though you're a student), it's theirs. Their institution. No different to a hospital's top priority is them, then maybe you.

As a consumer, which is now the position you are being forced in to, you have to be careful. that is particularly so in this profession, because you are wholly reliant on a government funding your training after medical school. You don't come out of medical school and directly become an independent 'doctor' able to open their own practice and work anywhere in the world. Doesn't work that way. There's always more hoops to go through. Residency is a limited resource. You become dependent on hospitals to complete your training
And there's only so many positions to go around. This why it's such a huge issue. But it's very difficult to see if you're premed, having not yet been exposed to the system.

Addit:
As for comparing schools.
I personally wouldn't bother unless we're talking about working in Australia. that's a different kettle of fish. With regards to suitability for matching back. Pitman touched on it and I agree with it 100% - best to find schools with partner agreements with hospitals in the country you wish to work in later. As it can be notoriously tricky to arrange electives or away rotations - impossible no*, but challenging yes.

It goes without saying, for the American going off-shore to Australia, they should strongly consider UQO, where your back up plan isn't Australia, it's Ochsner itself in NOLA. It is the only school in Australia where all your rotations are guaranteed to be on US soil in one supportive hospital system that recruits its residents from this student pool.

Last edited:
Links below as promised before.

Tangential, but it explains why the Australian system has it's current problems.
Why things are the way they are. Why it's about the bottomline for schools to be about $$. They can't afford to be 'selective' in the way that North American schools are. why it's a problem, not during medical school - but afterwards. Why premeds should be at least aware of what's going on if they're going to be part of that system for 4 years. And potentially join it for much longer if they can't make it back home or choose not to.

Easier to read and approach articles:
written by a current intern:
Specialty training places: the other looming crisis - MJA InSight 36, 18 September 2017 | doctorportal

The Guardian:
Why Australian doctors' group opposes funding for new medical school.

The AMA:
NEW MEDICAL SCHOOL – GOOD INTENTION UNDERMINED BY BAD POLICY

They all link or quote from primary sources (or 'higher quality' evidenced based resources).
Which include the following (not for the faint of heart to approach as they're 100s of pages):
The now defunct Healthworkforce Australia's publications from 2014.
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/F3F2910B39DF55FDCA257D94007862F9/$File/AFHW - Doctors report.pdf.
Medical Deans of Australia and New Zealand's annual report on trends
Publications « Medical Deans Australia & New Zealand.
In 2011, they explain why they need international students. They address the funding situation.
http://www.medicaldeans.org.au/wp-c...e-Funding-Review-Submission-31-March-2011.pdf.
AMSA and AMA also publish researched policies themselves each year on their websites.
And there's more out there, other places to start would be The Conversation.
or MJA.

This is just Australia.

Long time SDN posters like Gonnif have posted extensively about applying to the US as an off-shore applicant or IMG. Canadians can extrapolate this to their own system, or visit the Canadian forum, as Canadian programs tend to approach IMGs in a similar fashion to the US. As a sample:
Why don't people match into residency?.
Slightly off-topic: Caribbean MD or CRNA ?.
Lively debate here: Europe/Aus vs. New school (I would flick to Gonnif's responses towards the end)
You can also go through the message histories of Gonnif (and as mentioned before, gyngyn, aProgramDirector, WingedScapula etc.). They also quote primary resources and interpret the data for you in a balance way.

The point here is to encourage you guys to read. to do some research.
approach this critically. rank or critique your sources - in other question to yourself what perspective they have, what biases they have. Do not accept things at face value. then formulate your own conclusions and plans.

It is not wrong to choose to go offshore.

But know that your one simple decision of where to go to medical school, can actually end up shaping the rest of your life. Your future choices will be influenced by what you decide now for much longer than 4 years. It will be part of your identity in this career for a long time. So make the decision carefully, make it critically, make it based on substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow thank you all so much for the useful information provided! I can see both the pros and cons of getting an education in Australia. All those points mentioned above are definitely things to consider!

Another question regarding admissions: I understand in Canada and USA, the MCAT plays a part in the admission process. I'm curious to know how big the MCAT plays in Australian universities, particularly University of Sydney (that is my target). I'm asking because my MCAT overall score is only a little over the minimum for most Australian schools but I have a strong academic average. My GPA is 7. Since the australian applications are so simple and doesn't really ask about extracurricular activities, I'm just trying to see what my chances are of getting in U of Sydney with a low MCAT score... I've written the MCAT several times but my best score is 506. Anyone with any information? I'm not able to find admission stats online. Thank you again!

GPA doesn't count as much as North Americans always get a boost when we convert to the Australian scale, Most are above a 6/7. They take the MCAT into consideration the most. With a 506, I'd say you have a fair shot. It has been a bit more competitive to get into the "more prestigious" Australian schools in the last couple of years, namely USyd and UMel. With 506 I think you'd never a better than average interview score to get an offer. There has been some recent applicants claiming being turned away with 510+ MCAT scores to USyd this cycle, including one 516. All pretty anecdotal evidence, but just some trends that I see as a current USyd student.

Personally...
The world rankings arent all that meaningful if you're already going off shore. If that's the draw to the sandstone schools like usyd, umelb.

Most program directors will not be familiar with the schools (any of them) or Australian healthcare. It's not like going off shore to Cambridge or Oxford in UK.

There's other things they look for that have nothing to do with school rankings. Similarly, hospitals in Australia dont hire based on where you attended school.

Just apply widely.
The "lower" ranking schools do actually provide a strong education and research.

Its a small country. There's not that much of a difference between the schools.

If you struggle to get into even a 4 yr program in Australia, it may be a better fit to attend the 6 yr ones for more support. Not just in terms of graduating, but in preparation for residency. It only gets harder as you go up.

Yea but he is asking about admission to USyd. Whether the rankings matter or not (and yes, I agree, they don't matter really), it matters to pre-meds applying. Hence the competition to get into sandstone schools are harder then say Deakin or Griffith's. Because they show up in the ranking and people in North America have heard of them, they generally just get more applicants, and they have bigger cohorts. I beg to differ that PDs wouldn't have heard of USyd or UMel, they would at least know the city. I'm sure the quality of education are just as great in Deakin and Griffith's but there is some advantages being at USyd.

Larger international cohort with more support for doing electives and wider alumni reach to N.A. residencies.

Being at Melbourne or Sydney usually means an easier time getting flights and perhaps an easier time transitioning to Australia from North America.

I'm not going to argue with you right now, I'm tired from coming home after working over time.

My point is, should a pre-med desperate enough to consider Australia not get into USyd or a similar school. Is it the end of the world? no.
you can still do well on the steps, if you work hard. Again if they're already struggling to get into a sandstone school, it doesn't hurt them to consider a smaller one with a longer program for more support.

I attended the school with the largest cohort of North Americans in the entire country, including all the schools you've listed above. With international alumni going back to the 90s. I get what you're saying. I also did away rotations in North America. If you want to argue that critical mass matters to some sure. But not to everyone. If you wish to beg to differ sure, that's fine to have that preference, and a lot of people like having this.

But it doesn't change the label of being offshore all that much, you're still an off-shore IMG. There is arguably some advantage to having the school brand known, but you still have to be incredibly outstanding on paper and have to have done the correct rotations (which are really hard to arrange). the advantages to being 'known' is that it opens doors to rotations. scores for the steps and other board exams still matter a good deal, that part you have to do on your own.

partnerships or exchange programs between medical schools directly (Pitman touched on this) it's the biggest asset a school offshore could offer. but I mean, you have to survive to get to the point of having the privilege of getting access to them. often spots are limited and competitive.

If you end up struggling in medical school in Australia, those small advantages will disappear. You fail anything, it's a redflag on top of a redflag.

The other reflection underlying this is that you end up rotating and working with students or grads from all the different schools. Particularly at work, it just doesn't matter like it used to while we were all at school. If you're a good candidate, you're a good candidate. you do so much of that on your own.

I'll say it again, just because it was a fit for you (or a fit for me even), it's not for everyone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not trying to do one over the great advice you gave about admission into Usyd.

I was trying to suggest is to apply widely if they're borderline. that's the same advice I would give to anyone under any circumstances going the offshore route.

Last edited:
Lol, not trying to argue, just trying to answer the guy's question. It wasn't a general apply to Australia question. It was specifically his chances to USyd....so yeaaa...

You've already repeated all the same things earlier, don't need to redo the apply broadly to Australia speech. I think that is understood.

excellent. glad you understand me then.

Oh right. Was going to add.
The rankings shouldn't matter to premeds. I'll avoid repeating myself again as to why.

I keep making edits or additions. Mainly because I don't want to end 'spamming' everyone's emails unintentionally.

Again, like so much of what I put above is anecdotal. So I opened with, 'personally.' but to emphasize that I didn't pull ideas out of thin air. I spent a good chunk of time tutoring struggling students from 'home' school. I just don't think (and they didn't think so later either) that they should have pushed so hard to get into a school where they were already on the borderline of getting into to begin with. The requirements of getting into any school in Australia are already lower than North America. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone out there, but if you struggle at an offshore school, you're very likely to never match at home, at least not into any residency program.

Alright, peace out. talk about usyd all you want. I'll turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
GPA doesn't count as much as North Americans always get a boost when we convert to the Australian scale, Most are above a 6/7. They take the MCAT into consideration the most. With a 506, I'd say you have a fair shot. It has been a bit more competitive to get into the "more prestigious" Australian schools in the last couple of years, namely USyd and UMel. With 506 I think you'd never a better than average interview score to get an offer. There has been some recent applicants claiming being turned away with 510+ MCAT scores to USyd this cycle, including one 516. All pretty anecdotal evidence, but just some trends that I see as a current USyd student.

Thank you DoctorS84 for your input! You mentioned "With 506 I think you'd never a better than average interview score to get an offer" did you mean I will need a high interview score to get an offer? Basically from your message I guess the schools (like all schools in N america) are looking for a well rounded applicant with a competitive MCAT score, good GPA and strong interview. I guess a strong GPA or a good MCAT score doesn't really mean anything.. it's the whole application.

excellent. glad you understand me then.

Oh right. Was going to add.
The rankings shouldn't matter to premeds. I'll avoid repeating myself again as to why.

I keep making edits or additions. Mainly because I don't want to end 'spamming' everyone's emails unintentionally.

Again, like so much of what I put above is anecdotal. So I opened with, 'personally.' but to emphasize that I didn't pull ideas out of thin air. I spent a good chunk of time tutoring struggling students from 'home' school. I just don't think (and they didn't think so later either) that they should have pushed so hard to get into a school where they were already on the borderline of getting into to begin with. The requirements of getting into any school in Australia are already lower than North America. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone out there, but if you struggle at an offshore school, you're very likely to never match at home, at least not into any residency program.

Alright, peace out. talk about usyd all you want. I'll turn a blind eye.

Thank you for your input Domperidone! Lots of really good suggestions in your posts there and definitely something I need to consider when selecting schools. I guess my first step is to apply to all these schools first and then consider next steps. I am considering all the schools. The "prestigious ones" and the ones that aren't on the top university ranking lists

Yea sorry that was a typo. I did mean you probably need a better than average interview score with your MCAT to score an offer. Unless the criteria has changed, USyd weighs 50% MCAT and 50% interview admission scheme. Your GPA is just a hurdle, I forgot what the hurdle was, something like ~5.5/7, so doesn't matter if you have 7 or 5.5, it gets you to the next stage all the same.

But like Domperidone said, the criteria overall in Australia is alot easier for North Americans. These schools need to fill international FFP places for revenue, so they have an incentive but that doesn't mean they won't fill it with more qualified individuals if they have a more qualified pool of applicants.

I suggest you think about things like where you want to do residency and where you want to live in the next x years starting school. I can really only speak for USyd as I'm here at the moment, but I found most of this information beforehand. USyd has a few connections with schools in NA for electives (Cornell and Columbia in the US, McMaster and UofT in Canada) and a pretty flexible clinical years allowing up to 20 weeks of away rotations in NA. Which I think is more allowance than UQ and UMel, from what I can gather.

I got accepted to Sydney with a 500 MCAT, 2 years ago, another anecdotal data point.

@medanon19 just apply to them all you already know it is easier to get into Aus schools as an international. A 506 is above the minimums required for every school and you have an excellent chance for multiple acceptances, but yes they care more about MCAT then GPA as its a more objective measure. I would apply, see where you get in first.

Someone made an excellent point that location is something to think about as well, you want to be excited about living there for 4 years!

Bigger international cohort is also important for boards support etc. And flexibility in away rotations etc.