Canadian residency -->working in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedChemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is something I've searched online quite a bit, but been unable to find any answers to.

For ENT, were Canadian residencies are not considered board-eligible (even though the # of years are the same....anyway...), does this mean that if you do a Canadian ENT residency you can never write the US boards and practice in the US? Or would a fellowship make you board-eligible?

Asking because I love ENT, but it has a terrible job market in Canada. Will be finishing up the USMLEs regardless, but wondering if anyone has heard of Canadian ENTs being able to practice in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

So this is something I've searched online quite a bit, but been unable to find any answers to.

For ENT, were Canadian residencies are not considered board-eligible (even though the # of years are the same....anyway...), does this mean that if you do a Canadian ENT residency you can never write the US boards and practice in the US? Or would a fellowship make you board-eligible?

Asking because I love ENT, but it has a terrible job market in Canada. Will be finishing up the USMLEs regardless, but wondering if anyone has heard of Canadian ENTs being able to practice in the US?

Canadian ENTs can practice in the US, but they need their hospital/university to sponsor visa. For ABOTO eligibility, from talking to some Canadian faculty, you need to practice at an academic institution for a specified period (something like 5-7 years) with full visa sponsorship throughout and to obtain a green card. If at the end of all that, they can be ABOTO certified and can practice wherever they want. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have a few Canadian faculty practicing the States due to the horrific job market in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Canadian ENTs can practice in the US, but they need their hospital/university to sponsor visa. For ABOTO eligibility, from talking to some Canadian faculty, you need to practice at an academic institution for a specified period (something like 5-7 years) with full visa sponsorship throughout and to obtain a green card. If at the end of all that, they can be ABOTO certified and can practice wherever they want. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have a few Canadian faculty practicing the States due to the horrific job market in Canada.
That's really helpful-thanks. Sounds like it's a tough road