Canadian Ortho Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marmu55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a Canadian student studying at an american dental school right now. I'm interested in pursuing an ortho residency and I've looked into some american programs but am curious about Canadian ones. I'd love to go back home, although I am open to practicing both in the US and Canada. I heard from an upperclassman that Canadian specialty programs have a low rate of accepting fresh graduates. Can anyone attest to this? I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm a Canadian student studying at an american dental school right now. I'm interested in pursuing an ortho residency and I've looked into some american programs but am curious about Canadian ones. I'd love to go back home, although I am open to practicing both in the US and Canada. I heard from an upperclassman that Canadian specialty programs have a low rate of accepting fresh graduates. Can anyone attest to this? I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you!

I went to a Canadian school and know several people who did ortho. I believe a year of GPR or private practice is required. I don't know of anyone who went straight into ortho.

I went to a Canadian school and know several people who did ortho. I believe a year of GPR or private practice is required. I don't know of anyone who went straight into ortho.

Thank you! I've heard that taking the year to be in private practice takes the emphasis off of grades? Do you happen to know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)

I also went to a Canadian dental school and they did not accept or even interview any student in ortho without a residency and private practice experience.

I also went to a Canadian dental school and they did not accept or even interview any student in ortho without a residency and private practice experience.

Why do they expect you to have both residency and private practice?

All residencies except GPR expect one or more years of experience.

How difficult are these Canadian ortho programs for US-trained dentists to get into?