Canadian FP moving to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eiremd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian/US citizen , I am MRCGP AND CCFP qualified. I am eligible to give the ABFM boards without a US residency program. My question is which states in the US would accept my LMCC ( Canadian medical licenciate) as a replacement for the USMLEs. I know that Maine, Oregon and Virginia do that, are there any others ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian/US citizen , I am MRCGP AND CCFP qualified. I am eligible to give the ABFM boards without a US residency program. My question is which states in the US would accept my LMCC ( Canadian medical licenciate) as a replacement for the USMLEs. I know that Maine, Oregon and Virginia do that, are there any others ?

Thanks

I think most if not all do, it should be very very easy to move to the states they will definitely recognize your CCFP. It might be up to the individual state licensing board and I can't give you the 100% proof but I'm very confident you will have 0 issues especially as a US citizen.

The main reason Canadians who go to the states write the USMLEs is to qualify for the H1B visa. Maybe one or two states or programs would want the USMLEs but the vast majority don't.