Canadian Citizen Low Tuition Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikarus0918

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure if it's OK to post this here, but I'm starting a search for low tuition schools in the US that a Canadian citizen may have a chance to get into.

I am Class of 2012, graduated from a US school.
gpa: 3.81
MCAT: 33Q
Lots of research experience and some volunteer experience.

My family can't support high tuition institutions (or tuition for international students at most schools) and I was wondering if there are any schools with tuition range around 30k for Canadians (with my brief resume in mind). OR, is it possible for me to get a loan as a Canadian? I think I read that you need an American co-signer to get a loan from banks.

I've been looking globally as well, but staying in the US is my preference. Any help/pointers would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe there are any low cost schools for Canadians... but you can absolutely get a line of credit at the bank for up to 250 k with a Canadian cosigner. You can go on the Canadian premed 101 forum to check with all kinds of people who have applied to and are going to US schools.. But why not apply to Canada with those marks??

Your stats are good enough for Canadian schools. Why don't you also apply in Canada? Tuition is much cheaper there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions!
I applied to 4 Canadian schools last cycle, didn't check to see if all my reference letters got submitted properly until it was too late and missed the deadline for two schools and didn't get an interview from two others that I applied to.
Also, I found that my gpa gets lowered to a 3.75 because the Ontario system counts A's as 3.9 and A+'s as 4.0.
I am planning to apply again this cycle, but I was looking to apply to both Canadian and US schools this time.
I'll check out the Canadian premed forum as well..

Thanks for the suggestions!
I applied to 4 Canadian schools last cycle, didn't check to see if all my reference letters got submitted properly until it was too late and missed the deadline for two schools and didn't get an interview from two others that I applied to.
Also, I found that my gpa gets lowered to a 3.75 because the Ontario system counts A's as 3.9 and A+'s as 4.0.
I am planning to apply again this cycle, but I was looking to apply to both Canadian and US schools this time.
I'll check out the Canadian premed forum as well..

Aww! Sorry to hear. Also, welcome to the club.