Canadian applicant to american schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianhopeful003

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian applicant to american schools with a 511 MCAT, 3.83GPA, and lots of research experience including a publication. Thoughts on my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

There are about a dozen US MD schools that consider Canadians and match your stats (if that is your only MCAT).
There are also about a dozen DO schools that consider internationals.

Thank you! If you could provide the names of some of those MD schools, I would appreciate it.

Also, do you think having a publication gives a decent boost to an application? I assume this would be school specific (e.g. research focused).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! If you could provide the names of some of those MD schools, I would appreciate it.

Also, you you think having a publication gives a decent boost to an application? I assume this would be school specific (e.g. research focused).
Filter the MSAR for the 71 schools that consider Canadians.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated zero to three.
Of the remaining, apply to ones with a median MCAT at or slightly below yours.

All schools value research.
Be sure to have clinical and volunteer experience too.

Filter the MSAR for the 71 schools that consider Canadians.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated zero to three.
Of the remaining, apply to ones with a median MCAT at or slightly below yours.

All schools value research.
Be sure to have clinical and volunteer experience too.

Thanks! I have 250+ hours each of clinical shadowing and volunteer work (I have volunteer work in both medical and non-medical environments)

Probly go DO. That MCAT on low side, and ur applying out of region

The mean MCAT for successful internationals is 512.

That's encouraging, thank you. Objectively I think the MCAT score is the weakest part of my application. I have several long term well-rounded ECs, a lot of research, and a consistently upward GPA trend with 4.0 in my final year. Do schools take this into consideration?

That's encouraging, thank you. Objectively I think the MCAT score is the weakest part of my application. I have several long term well-rounded ECs, a lot of research, and a consistently upward GPA trend with 4.0 in my final year. Do schools take this into consideration?
Yes.

MD is hard for Canadians. Are you URM? Apply broadly.

Also apply to DO schools. You'll get an acceptance. I cant guarantee this for MD.

MD is hard for Canadians. Are you URM? Apply broadly.

Also apply to DO schools. You'll get an acceptance. I cant guarantee this for MD.

Thank you for the feedback! I am not URM. In your opinion, why is it so hard for Canadians? Schools say they look at us the same as American applicants during application review. @gyngyn do you have an opinion on this as well?

Last edited: