Canadian,4.0 gpa, 400 on all OAT sections. What are my chances for Berkeley?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted853480

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do well on your interview and you will be fine.

Considering you can't really do better than that, and assuming you are decent at interviews, I'm thinking you'll be fine...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if you're trolling or not... so annoying when people with literally perfect stats ask what their chances are *eye roll*

Reactions: 4 users
I had similar stats but got rejected in 2009 because I didn't have any shadowing hours.

I'm not trolling. My Ecs are pretty average. Some tutoring, some hospital exposure, shadowed a optometrist, research in theoretical chem. I did a few other things as well.

Looking at your previous posts, you also got 510 on the mcat? Hmm

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously, when you have good stats and extracurriculars your admission is dependent on how well your interview goes. For Berkeley there are various components, so just do well on those if you're extended an interview and you'll be fine.

I'm confused as to why you seem to be interested in both med school and optometry, but that's besides the point.

Optometry is a backup plan if I can't get into med school.

I figured so after reading that you got a 510 on your MCAT. Your stats seem fine and as everyone else has stated, it will be dependent on the interview. The biggest worry you should have is how you are going to portray your interest in optometry. I'd say most of the people going into optometry found a reason to do so and carry a strong commitment to it. If it's your backup plan if medical school doesn't work out, you better be sure how you word your drive to become an optometrist is equal if not better than your drive to become a medical doctor.

They won't know about your MCAT scores unless you tell them (in most cases, if not all I believe, someone feel free to correct me on this). If you end up mentioning your MCAT, best believe the faculty are going to ask about "why did you choose optometry rather than continuing to go for the medical school route?" If you end up giving a half-hearted answer, I'm pretty sure they would rather turn you down despite your scores/grades.

Optometry is a backup plan if I can't get into med school.
Oof. The two are very different. If you are set on medicine, I don't think you will be very satisfied with optometry, particularly if salary differences are important to you. I just thought it would be worth mentioning.