Can you really prepare or study for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering can you really prepare or study for interviews? Or is it more just knowing your essay question answers and overall app? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Be familiar with your application, and if you're interested in the types of questions that get asked at specific schools you can check here: Dental Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network

Aside from being able to explain well why you're interested in dentistry, I wouldn't try to spend too much time preparing for interviews. Answers that sound memorized or overly rehearsed don't sound good to interviewers.

Reactions: 1 user
Be familiar with your application, and if you're interested in the types of questions that get asked at specific schools you can check here: Dental Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network

Aside from being able to explain well why you're interested in dentistry, I wouldn't try to spend too much time preparing for interviews. Answers that sound memorized or overly rehearsed don't sound good to interviewers.

Ok awesome, thank you so much for responding

Members don't see this ad :)
Going off of what Feralis mentioned, BE YOURSELF! It sounds extremely cliche but the interviewer is 100% able to differentiate between genuine answers and rehearsed responses.

A good friend of mine was invited to 12 interviews, but was only accepted to 2. She told me that she ended up "memorizing" answers, which I didn't think was a good idea. On the other hand, I simply went with the flow and pretty much had a two-way conversation with the interviewers.

I would like to disagree with those who posted above. There is a wealth of information about interviewing out there, not just on SDN. Business majors are well rehearsed on interview techniques prior to entering the public and private sector. Read some of this material. You will present yourself in the best light, avoid stumbling through tough questions, and most importantly, appear both serious and professional. Luck comes to the most prepared.

I was just wondering can you really prepare or study for interviews? Or is it more just knowing your essay question answers and overall app? Thank you!

- know your app well
- do mock interviews in your career center
- read SDN interview feedback pages for questions kids had previously

There are some schools that will ask you questions like "What is our mission statement?" just to see if you actually know anything about the school you're applying to. Midwestern-AZ asked me that last year. I also heard once that someone asked who the dean of the school was. Just look into old threads and see which schools will ask very specific questions like this. I also always made sure I knew if the school gave a DDS or DMD degree.

Reactions: 1 users
There are some schools that will ask you questions like "What is our mission statement?" just to see if you actually know anything about the school you're applying to. Midwestern-AZ asked me that last year. I also heard once that someone asked who the dean of the school was. Just look into old threads and see which schools will ask very specific questions like this. I also always made sure I knew if the school gave a DDS or DMD degree.

Oh wow, thank you for the heads up!

They asked me who the dean was at my NYU interview.

Yes and no. All my interviews were conversation about normal things and had nothing to do about dentistry. Other people get grilled on why they want to do dentistry. I never had any generic questions such as "tell me about yourself"

Yes and no. All my interviews were conversation about normal things and had nothing to do about dentistry. Other people get grilled on why they want to do dentistry. I never had any generic questions such as "tell me about yourself"

Interesting, I got"Tell me about yourself" at least four times,