Can you put Dr. in your name even if you are an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sway_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG from Bangladesh and will probably come to Canada next year for higher studies. Not as a doctor but tk pursue an MPH degree. So that's why I was curious what I should put in my name in bank documents etc. Should I be Mr. Sway_212 or is it Dr. Sway_212?

I understand I cannot practice without a license or advertise myself. But what do IMGs put in their name in official documents or even their business cards? While we're on the topic, what about PhD graduates? Do they also put in Dr. no matter which country they graduated from?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no legal rules about putting "Dr." before your name, just representing yourself as licensed when not. So if you have an MD or PhD from a university in your own country feel free to style yourself as Dr. X, or as X, MD, PhD etc.

Stylistically, in Canada generally PhDs do not use "Dr." outside of the professional environment, and the layperson will assume MD if you use the prefix "Dr.".