Can you be a general pediatrician that only works with babies? (aside than NICU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATP to ADP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love working with babies, and I like kids too but I enjoy working with babies much more. I already know about NICU, but I was wondering if one could just become a general pediatrician and work only/mostly in the newborn nursery?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I don't know how common the jobs are, but at both my medical school and my residency, they have said jobs available. The one at my Med school was a standard 8-5ish job that rotated between 2-3 different attendings, and I think one might have preceptor in clinic as well one day per week and one was a hospitalist the other portion of the time (small peds program).

At my residency, the neo group hires general pediatricians to work in the local level 1-2 nurseries (low level 2, like bili lights and sepsis evaluations with late preterm babies). Their model is 8 24-hour shifts per month for a full time person. The vast majority of the time, you get plenty of sleep on the shift. They round and attend deliveries. The pay sucks compared to an outpatient job, but there are lots of people who do it.

There are also physicians in large centers who do almost exclusively nursery and well newborn.