Can schools see declined acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishiningstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that at this point all schools can see where all you are accepted. But can they see where you were accepted if you declined the acceptance?

In terms of waitlist movement does it look better for the waitlisted school to see that you have multiple acceptances? In my opinion that should make you a more desirable candidate. I am hesitant to withdraw from schools yet as I may have told my waitlisted school that I have X acceptances and I want to be sure that they are able to see those acceptances . So I am not sure if I should wait till I get into a top choice or make up my mind before I decline other acceptances. What do you all think?

Thanks for your opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

No they will only see places that extend a acceptance to you. They will have no info if you withdraw that acceptance or not

No they will only see places that extend a acceptance to you. They will have no info if you withdraw that acceptance or not
You mean if I were accepted by school A and I declined that acceptance will other schools still be able to tell that I was accepted by school A?

Members don't see this ad :)
It could go both ways though. If a school sees you have fewer acceptances you have a higher chance to choose them if they gave you an offer. If the other schools that accepted you are in the same prestige/ranking category as the one you're waiting on, I would send that school a letter of intent letting them know you'd accept their offer if you got off waitlist.

You mean if I were accepted by school A and I declined that acceptance will other schools still be able to tell that I was accepted by school A?
Yes. They dont see if you declined or not they just see that you were given a acceptance.

It could go both ways though. If a school sees you have fewer acceptances you have a higher chance to choose them if they gave you an offer. If the other schools that accepted you are in the same prestige/ranking category as the one you're waiting on, I would send that school a letter of intent letting them know you'd accept their offer if you got off waitlist.
If the accepted schools are lower tier I guess that's not an issue. But for the schools that are on par with the waitlisted school what you say makes sense. And yes I have sent the letter of Intent to cover that point.

Yes. They dont see if you declined or not they just see that you were given a acceptance.
Ok but are you sure about it because I remember seeing somewhere that schools can see which ones you were accepted to along with which ones you are still holding on to.
Can I request @Goro or @gonnif to clarify this?

Ok but are you sure about it because I remember seeing somewhere that schools can see which ones you were accepted to along with which ones you are still holding on to.
I am not sure what I said is contradicting to this. They can see which schools you are accepted to but they don't know if you turn the school down or not. Maybe a adcom can clear it up . Don't want to give u wrong info

DO schools will be able to see where you have DO accepts.

MD schools will see where you have MD accepts.

No observations across fields occur.

Reactions: 1 user
DO schools will be able to see where you have DO accepts.

MD schools will see where you have MD accepts.

No observations across fields occur.
Got it, will the MD schools see my accepts even if and when I decline them ?

Got it, will the MD schools see my accepts even if and when I decline them ?
Acceptances are updated in real time on AMCAS.
Declined accepts are also updated in real time.
Those of us who review stats daily will see these fluctuations.
They have little influence (if any) on waitlist management.

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptances are updated in real time on AMCAS.
Declined accepts are also updated in real time.
Those of us who review stats daily will see these fluctuations.
They have little influence (if any) on waitlist management.
Thanks for clarifying ! I wanted to make sure that what they can see aligns with what I have claimed in my LOI.

I am not sure what you mean by this:
On April 1st, every medical school can see every other school that has offered you an acceptance.
If you decline it, it will no longer show up on the daily National Acceptance Report
However, you AMCAS ID will still be flagged with every acceptance from every school that has offered you one
If a school chooses to configure their admissions software, it will note such and, I presume, would show where you have declined
Very few schools would do this or be influenced by it
Ok thanks for the information.

And is that on April 1st, I thought it was sometime early March that every school can see every other school that has offered you an acceptance .

Do acceptances from foreign schools show up on these reports ?