Can I shoot for any MD with this score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaris4you

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Are there any MD schools I can apply to with a 503 MCAT this cycle? I am ORM with above average app, MCAT aside.

Thank you for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

You are already behind the in the cycle
You have a low score
You are an ORM

What do you have going for you ? State? GPA? Service?

I am done with AMCAS although it is not verified yet. I had to re-submit due to a transcript issue. The first time, I submitted July 3 with one school, but they lost my transcript. Now they have everything, but it can take until mid-September. AAMC said they are working to get it verified soon however. I don't know what their timeline will be now :( 3.7 GPA, choice of MD or VA state and I chose VA because I saw more schools there, tons and tons of service + research + clinical hours. I have all the normal things SDN recommends and more. Except the MCAT score :arghh:

Hello all,

Are there any MD schools I can apply to with a 503 MCAT this cycle? I am ORM with above average app, MCAT aside.

Thank you for the replies.
Circling the drain for MD. Fine for DO, which has a longer cycle.

If you're boning for the MD, breaker the MCAT, get a 510+, and apply next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
All my "late" advisees this year who had scores similar to yours I had withdraw

Should I not even try for my state schools this year?

And just be a reapplicant next year?

What if the school said re-app didn't matter to them? MCV specifically said they don't disadvantage re-applicants and to continue applying. Is this one of those things where they say it doesn't matter to reassure me now, but change their mind and factor in re-app status in their decision come application time? :thinking:

So those are the first three things that I would think about you before I read any of you current application. Applying to medical school is about reducing risk. You are taking a long shot with little chance of winning at this late date that has a high chance of reducing odds for next cycle. For whatever reason you have already done a very dumb thing by taking the MCAT late. You could have delayed that and started off well next cycle. But you want to rush and you now you want to a dumber thing by applying late with a low score to your top choice. It is idiocy bordering on stupidity to do so

I don't think I took the MCAT late (I took it May end), but after my poor score, I didn't have it in me to study real fast for a July, August or even Sept test date :(

Its really late in the cycle to to apply especially if you do not have secondaries pre-written. Thoughtful responses take time. You would benefit from working for the year, continue community service activities, study and retake the MCAT and apply early next cycle. I know sometimes its hard to hear but taking another year could really help your app. Applying to medical school is about applying when you are at your strongest. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

OP listen to the good advice you are getting here. At least two of the responders have lots of experience in admissions.

You only want to apply once with the absolute best application possible. Think about what will be best for you and your future.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Unless there's a Nature paper or Olympic medal, or some other extraordinary life story she's not telling us, then she's pretty much doomed for MD.

I wouldn't apply now. It's late as others have said, but trust me the app process takes a lot out of you. It's expensive, time consuming, exciting at times but also nerve wracking too.

There's a lot to be said to applying early, with the best app you have. I applied about a month ago with significantly higher MCAT and although I've gotten IIs, I kinda wonder if next cycle would have been smarter. In your case, applying early next cycle with maybe a new mcat is a no brained IMO.

I wouldn't apply now. It's late as others have said, but trust me the app process takes a lot out of you. It's expensive, time consuming, exciting at times but also nerve wracking too.

There's a lot to be said to applying early, with the best app you have. I applied about a month ago with significantly higher MCAT and although I've gotten IIs, I kinda wonder if next cycle would have been smarter. In your case, applying early next cycle with maybe a new mcat is a no brained IMO.
Unless she is willing to apply DO, a new MCAT is an absolute necessity.