Can I give a research proposal in secondary questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbadgradesbut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of secondaries ask what do you want to do for your research or why do you want to come to our school. If I find a specific topic with a PI I would be interested in working with is it okay to give a very specific project proposal in that PI's lab? Or is this a little too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that it sounds too specific. What if that PI isn't looking for rotation or PhD students next year? What if you meet them on interview day and get a bad vibe? In my opinion, it's best if find several PIs with a common theme and briefly describe why you'd like to work with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm good point. The reason why I was thinking of doing this was just to show to adcoms I have really researched their program and have a compelling reason for attending. But I guess it can backfire. Although in interview day I believe you can meet with several PIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's totally possible to show you did your research without going that far

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. If you list a few PIs with related interests, you show that you have a specific interest and the admissions office can potentially alert multiple PIs that you would like to meet with them on interview day.

Reactions: 1 user