This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only on SDN is a 3.8/509 lower!

And yes there are some schools that look for fantastic app ECs more than 510+ MCATs. Look at UCLA as an example!

Reactions: 5 users
I've heard differing views on this, so I wanted to clarify. Can extensive service experience help an applicant with lower stats (say, 3.8GPA but 508-510MCAT score) in getting accepted to MD schools?
Don't be a neurotic pre-med; a 3.8 and 508-510 converts to an old school 30-31. Those are perfectly acceptable and somewhat competitive numbers for allopathic medical programs. SDN is the only place where you'll read about 520s applying to DO and Caribbean schools...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This post is very SDN :p
You are really competative! Your stats aren't low at all but Americorps is a stellar EC that would give you a leg up.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
I know 508-510 in itself are good scores, but for me, that might not cut it. I may have even scored lower on the test due to nerves...I have no idea. I have a good GPA but I come from an unfriendly state, am very ORM, and will not be the earliest applicant this year (I'll be complete in August). My understanding is that most OOS schools want higher than their avg MCAT scores, so I'm not quite there stats-wise. I looked at MSAR and there are only a handful of MD schools with 508 MCAT medians, but these either get lots of apps, have regional bias, or expect higher stats from OOS applicants. That's why I'm worried about my app and am trying to see if I can balance out my overall competitiveness in other ways.
There should be plenty of private schools where MCATs of ~30-31 are competitive. It's true these places tend to get a lot of apps, but many of them go straight to the bin because they have very low stats. I don't know if you got to see the old version of the MSAR before the shiny new edition, but it used to show that for a given school, the majority of applicants (seriously, like 50-75%) had MCAT scores that were 5-10 points or more below the school median.

Apply to lots of places like NYMC, SLU, EVMS etc and you should be fine.

I know 508-510 in itself are good scores, but for me, that might not cut it. I may have even scored lower on the test due to nerves...I have no idea. I have a good GPA but I come from an unfriendly state, am very ORM, and will not be the earliest applicant this year (I'll be complete in August). My understanding is that most OOS schools want higher than their avg MCAT scores, so I'm not quite there stats-wise. I looked at MSAR and there are only a handful of MD schools with 508 MCAT medians, but these either get lots of apps, have regional bias, or expect higher stats from OOS applicants. That's why I'm worried about my app and am trying to see if I can balance out my overall competitiveness in other ways.
OP - what state are you from? I'm extremely ORM too. There's still students with a 508-510 that are getting admitted that are ORM with an otherwise competitive application, with a strong GPA, ECs, and glowing letters of recommendation. Yes, being OOS does put you at a disadvantage, but it isn't as huge as you think. I can't base this on fact because I'm not on an admissions committee, but there's a huge proximity effect. Consider an NJ applicant applying to the SUNY medical schools. He/she isn't the same as an applicant from Hawaii. If you go under the WAMC sub-forum, you can probably get better guidance and advice there regarding your stats and entire application. Your #s are good. Now put in a kickass application and get your interviews. Being complete in August isn't late. Everyone on SDN thinks if you don't submit AMCAS on June 1 you're bound for the Caribbean. Not the case at all. Yes, mid-August isn't optimal. But its far from late.