Can a non-pharmacist enter a hospital pharmacy after-hours in Nevada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a non-pharmacist enter a hospital pharmacy after-hours in NV to retrieve a drug? If so, what are the requirements and restrictions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know about Nevada, but if your hospital is JCAHO, it's against their regulations for non-pharmacists to be in the pharmacy after hours. Basically everything that could be needed after hours has to be stocked on the floors (Omnicell, Pyxis, crashcart, etc.)

I'll just add, in the days of olden when JCAHO did allow this, only the House Supervisor (always a BSN, but I don't know if this was actually required) was allowed in the pharmacy after hours, and s/he had to leave an example of what was taken with the order it was taken for, along with filling out a log about the entry, then the pharmacist would check it in the AM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some hospitals will lock their main pharmacy, but have an area available with certain medications that the house supervisor can access. I didn't realize the joint commission frowns on that now, but I'm not really shocked. We always have a pharmacist on-call if anything complicated needs to be prepared.

In Georgia, one person per 8 hour period is allowed access and is usually the on-duty nursing supervisor, but that has to be set up by the director of pharmacy. Typically, this is for things like a drip that needs to be made, where the person must document and leave evidence of what was performed to be reviewed by the pharmacist. As stated, most medications are going to be available in medication cabinets or medication trays (crash-carts, RSI boxes, etc)