Campbell vs Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icegirl955

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was recently lucky enough to be accepted into both school and would really appreciate any help in making this important decision.

Touro Nevada Pros: No mandatory attendance or dress code, lots of holidays for studying, closer to home(from LA), bigger city (by Las Vegas), older school/more established, more matches to surgery/other specialties

Campbell Pros: Fantastic facility, great staff/student, seem to really care for the student body based on the events and packages they sent, cheaper tuition (~$10,000 less a year), cheaper living expenses

Anything would really help me out! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about Campbell, but my initial instinct is Touro. Think about where you would be happiest too..

Medical school is going to be grueling, and you're going to want to be able to remain mentally healthy by allowing yourself to indulge in something fun occasionally. Look at the surrounding environment of both schools and ask yourself, "would I be happier living in Henderson, NV or Lillington, NC?"

Congrats on your success, OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know too much about Campbell, but my initial instinct is Touro. Think about where you would be happiest too..

Medical school is going to be grueling, and you're going to want to be able to remain mentally healthy by allowing yourself to indulge in something fun occasionally. Look at the surrounding environment of both schools and ask yourself, "would I be happier living in Henderson, NV or Lillington, NC?"

Congrats on your success, OP.
Thanks for your advice! :)

I vote cusom! but i'm a bit biased (i'm about to start cusom).
so as for specialty, i only saw 12 surgery specialties for 2016 and 8 for 2015 with around 100 students at touro nevada, thats about 8-12%. cusom had 10 with a class of about 150 in 2016 so just slightly less and this was their first yr ( so no connections from previous students)! plus they had 2 match into dermatology and 1 of those surgeries was urological surgery! so I don't think I would focus too much on not being able to do the same specialty at cusom then you would at touro.

I can't comment on the students and faculty at touro but students at cusom seem pretty great and genuinely happy, actually out of all of my interviews they were the happiest bunch. You mentioned this in your pros toward this school so you saw the same things I did. cheaper tuition, cheaper area to live in, lots of other things.

Mandatory attendance/dress code. do you really find this to be a big negative? just find comfortable good looking clothes, i've also heard the term "dress for success", it's not like we can show up to rotations in sweats haha might as well get used to dressing the part. And mandatory attendance is a bummer (some ppl learn better from their home in sweats and a laptop) but they allow you to miss a couple days with no repercussions as well as aren't you used to attending mandatory classes from college or else getting poor grades?

As for closeness to your home, i'm coming from utah to North Carolina, we are going to be so busy in med school even with las vegas being closer to california it's still a 4 hr drive home, you aren't going to be making that drive on a whim. realistically you are probably only going to go home on holidays which you can fly home for, atleast thats what I plan to do.

Rural isn't for everyone haha but I love it which is why cusoms a plus for me, also touro is 10K more expensive pr yr! thats 40k extra for medical school, with the trump administration trying to get rid of public loan forgiveness, do you really want to have 40 k ( probably 55 k with interest) hanging over your shoulder?

This is my personal opinion, you should do what you feel is best, best of luck deciding!!

And mandatory attendance is a bummer (some ppl learn better from their home in sweats and a laptop) but they allow you to miss a couple days with no repercussions as well as aren't you used to attending mandatory classes from college or else getting poor grades?

Mandatory class attendance is a huge issue. CUSOM has all the makings of a great school if they would get rid of the attendance policy.