California is at MUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinjarn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from a student that California is actually doing their tour and inspection of the campus.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from a student that California is actually doing their tour and inspection of the campus.
California what? State of California? California Medical Board? University of California?

Reactions: 1 user
Lol..
I'll be so disappointed if I find out it wasn't the entire "state of California" conducting a tour. Ever so casually.
Trying to picture that right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
California has the most stringent regulations and their approval takes the longest i.e. it'd be extremely dumb to go to a school hoping it'd be California approved by the time you graduate. A visit does nothing to the marketability of a school regardless of how the school tries to spin it.

MUA will probably get California because Saba got it. I don't know how far back they will grandfather you. My guess is whenever they changed the curriculum in 2015 or maybe ever further back.

Even if they get California, stay far away from this school.

I hate to whip the already defeated, but - oh brother - there is so much wrong with this logic/post... just to clarify...

MUA will probably get California because Saba got it.

MUA and Saba are owned by the same parent company. This alone does not guarantee, nor is a criteria for, any Board of Medicine approval. They are separate schools in separate countries. This school, offering a degree that does not have the word "Saba" on it, will have to meet that criteria independently.

I don't know how far back they will grandfather you. My guess is whenever they changed the curriculum in 2015 or maybe ever further back.

Historically, no one is "grandfathered" in. If you have taken courses during the term when they are not approved, you will likely not get approval unless you repeat those courses. I'm not saying it's right. I'm not even saying I agree with it. But, this is the legal position of most medical boards. Check first with the medical board of the state you intend to practice in before you make a decision to matriculate.

Even if they get California, stay far away from this school.

There may be many reasons to go to and/or stay away from a school. I think it is not unreasonable to look at ability to get licensed in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada as a suitable criteria. But, this alone should not determine how, where, and why you choose a school. As I've said innumerable times on this forum, pick a school that has a long and solid track record of placing residents in a geographic location AND specialty that you want to practice. That is the best determinant of a successful medical career. And, many (if not most) of you won't know that until you are well into your clinicals in third year.

-Skip

California has the most stringent regulations and their approval takes the longest i.e. it'd be extremely dumb to go to a school hoping it'd be California approved by the time you graduate. A visit does nothing to the marketability of a school regardless of how the school tries to spin it.
To the contrary it looks like MUA JUST GOT APPROVED BY CALIFORNIA. This has been long overdue. Link to California boards is attached http://www.mbc.ca.gov/About_Us/Meetings/2017/Materials/materials_20170726_brd-8.pdf

Yes, MUA was California approved but the Cali approval is only good for students who started the new curriculum in May 2015. MUA's tuition is increasing rapidly as well. I've spoken quite a bit about MUA having been there myself and I still don't recommend it based on my sources that are still on the island.

Who cares about California approval if anyone barely can get in there. It's just a way for them to increase their tuition as its all part of their business. Btw I am a recent graduate and trust me just ignore MUA as it's not worth it. Don't give into "California or NY approval!" as all that matters if you decide to go to Carib is "can you write/sit for USMLE" cause it all comes down to "YOU".And dw you can actually still get residency in NY if you work hard enough but REMEMBER you are less likely to match (not cause of your school, but cause you are an IMG) so you have to work hard. Afterall no matter which Carib school you go to, you are still a "Carib" grad and it doesn't matter and the only thing that can save you is your USMLE and your hard work (even that may not help). Do not give into all the approval/advertising fads even though it's hard not to. Ignore MUA as its *****y place with a ***** dean who thinks he is the ***** as I wasted more tuition on them than I actually needed to.

Source: A lot of rotations, networks, relationships, internships, research, doctors, program directors and of-course self.

Who cares about California approval if anyone barely can get in there. It's just a way for them to increase their tuition as its all part of their business. Btw I am a recent graduate and trust me just ignore MUA as it's not worth it. Don't give into "California or NY approval!" as all that matters if you decide to go to Carib is "can you write/sit for USMLE" cause it all comes down to "YOU".And dw you can actually still get residency in NY if you work hard enough but REMEMBER you are less likely to match (not cause of your school, but cause you are an IMG) so you have to work hard. Afterall no matter which Carib school you go to, you are still a "Carib" grad and it doesn't matter and the only thing that can save you is your USMLE and your hard work (even that may not help). Do not give into all the approval/advertising fads even though it's hard not to. Ignore MUA as its *****y place with a ***** dean who thinks he is the ***** as I wasted more tuition on them than I actually needed to.

Source: A lot of rotations, networks, relationships, internships, research, doctors, program directors and of-course self.

Hello, I was at MUA too. Care to share any thoughts on why you disliked it too?