California Dental School Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgh7860993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming D1, not from California or in a California school. However the schools I interviewed at and got accepted to had a very high amount of Californian applicants- there were always more Californians than people from any other place, especially at the east coast. A lot of these people intend to go back to California to practice and don't have family members in dentistry. But I have always heard how California is horrible for dentists because it's highly saturated and dentists aren't paid well due to this. If California is so bad for dentists, how is it that there are still such high amounts of California dental applicants applying to schools across the country and interested in coming back to California to practice if California is not ideal for dentists? I heard that dentists want to get out of California but it seems like there's still so many Californians that want to do dentistry to practice there. Is the saturation not as bad as people claim, or is it not that huge of a factor that sways people away from dentistry? And what do applicants/dental students from California think of the saturation issue? Do you view this as a challenge as a future dentist in California or is it not that much of a concern to people?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard is not impossible.
Some have families in CA, some like climate, some don't need much money

Also the state of California has a population close to 40 million. It has WAY more than most states. So it would be fair to say that California produces a lot more predental/dental students than most states.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked several dental students from California a similar question, and they told me that only the big cities have those issues. One of the students I met in Utah said that some areas are even experiencing a shortage of dentists, so I guess it's not that horrible... but I work for a dentist who left Cali...

Just in general people don't change much. West coast people stay west coast, east coast people stay on east coast.. it's where your family is, your social base, etc, so it's easy to stay in your comfort zone. Plus of course in CA you get the amazing beaches, weather, mountains, social places, etc.

Yes it is very difficult to start a good practice for many of the new graduates, because in places like SF & LA there are dental offices in literally every plaza corner. Many people give up higher income potential to live in a more desirable place, that's just the name of the game. Sure people make it just fine in these places, but most are older and are established, or they're the business savvy students that would have excelled anywhere, OR they make it fine but would have had much better income potential elsewhere. So in the end, people trade off less income potential, for the ability to live in a 'more desirable location'.

For instance, I'd get out of here if not for the missus :p

I'm from California and I don't intend on moving back to California to practice. It's a sanctuary state with high tax liability, not to mention dentistry is too saturated there compared to other states.

My insight as to why people move back to California even after attending OOS dental school is that they're so attached to the cultural diversity that they cannot handle being in an area with too many Applebee's and golf courses. Stereotypically Californians live in this cultural bubble that they're too scared to leave to face "the rest of America". FWIW I'll be attending school in the "upper Midwest" and intend on staying either in the Midwest, or moving to Texas or Florida to practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from California and I don't intend on moving back to California to practice. It's a sanctuary state with high tax liability, not to mention dentistry is too saturated there compared to other states.

My insight as to why people move back to California even after attending OOS dental school is that they're so attached to the cultural diversity that they cannot handle being in an area with too many Applebee's and golf courses. Stereotypically Californians live in this cultural bubble that they're too scared to leave to face "the rest of America". FWIW I'll be attending school in the "upper Midwest" and intend on staying either in the Midwest, or moving to Texas or Florida to practice.

Wouldn't you think that the "cultural bubble" is all of the white people in applebees and golf courses? It seems backwards to refer to a melting pot of many different cultures as the bubble lol

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn't you think that the "cultural bubble" is all of the white people in applebees and golf courses? It seems backwards to refer to a melting pot of many different cultures as the bubble lol
But you can't appreciate aspects of another culture without being accused by some "woke" libby of "cultural appropriation."

#bighosspersisted

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Why can't they both be bubbles? I've never heard of reverse bubble-ism before. In general, people like their own culture. You could call Californian culture a melting pot, but I would say there is definitely an overarching Californian culture. We dress a certain way...we talk a certain way...possibly more materialistic, etc. I think it mostly stems from CA being predominantly urban.

8ERsz6c.png

But you can't appreciate aspects of another culture without being accused by some "woke" libby of "cultural appropriation."

#bighosspersisted
I agree on the appropriation thing. I find it's the adult version of "finders keepers, losers weepers."

I'm an incoming D1, not from California or in a California school. However the schools I interviewed at and got accepted to had a very high amount of Californian applicants- there were always more Californians than people from any other place, especially at the east coast. A lot of these people intend to go back to California to practice and don't have family members in dentistry. But I have always heard how California is horrible for dentists because it's highly saturated and dentists aren't paid well due to this. If California is so bad for dentists, how is it that there are still such high amounts of California dental applicants applying to schools across the country and interested in coming back to California to practice if California is not ideal for dentists? I heard that dentists want to get out of California but it seems like there's still so many Californians that want to do dentistry to practice there. Is the saturation not as bad as people claim, or is it not that huge of a factor that sways people away from dentistry? And what do applicants/dental students from California think of the saturation issue? Do you view this as a challenge as a future dentist in California or is it not that much of a concern to people?
I'm one of the Californians attending an OOS that doesn't plan on opening a practice in CA. However, I definitely see the appeal of returning. As someone from an urban Californian area, I might find living in a rural region depressing (the dreaded "in the middle of nowhere"). As much as I like $, I don't know if if it's worth it if it means that I have to live alone with my husky in Alaska. I have a while to decide on my practice location, but so far I like Washington/Texas/New England.

I am from california, went to dental school OOS, and now on east coast. I looked into california to practice but i decided too saturated and financially tough. I decided a good alternative is las vegas. To me it has that So Cal feel, cost of living is low, and no state income tax. One thing I found during the job hunt is that LV is mostly corporate.

#bighosspersisted

what? A libby? Lol really. I am from CA, graduated from a CA Dental school and stayed in CA. I did that because as people said weather/location (I surf), though its saturated its still doable. Would I be in a bigger house with a pool if I lived in the middle of the country? Heck yes I would be without a doubt, but then I would be in the middle of the country... #stayrealbighoss

like FanofCostco says, if you want the CA feel without the CA politics/tax, do I what do - live in Arizona/Nevada. If you're bored on the weekend take a Southwest Airlines flight (a lot are $150 round trip) to CA and rent out through airbns or some other site for housing over the weekend, you will still come out financially ahead.

Also for the poster saying CA is a sanctuary state, you do know CA isn't the only state supporting this ridiculous law.

Sanctuary-Cities-Still-012517.png

it goes both ways, I see minorities moving to areas where there is a strong minority presence (basically every city across the US) and whites moving to areas where there is a strong white presence (rural towns and a couple of cities in the Midwest).