Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kw18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've generally been skilled at math (with the exception of geometry and trigonometry), but calculus is starting to get me now because my professor does not quite go over everything that is on the homework and on the tests.

What are the best ways I can do well? We have Math Help and Office Hours, so should I go to those every week? I've gone a few times but they weren't super helpful. Maybe I need to ask better questions.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've generally been skilled at math (with the exception of geometry and trigonometry), but calculus is starting to get me now because my professor does not quite go over everything that is on the homework and on the tests.

What are the best ways I can do well? We have Math Help and Office Hours, so should I go to those every week? I've gone a few times but they weren't super helpful. Maybe I need to ask better questions.

Calculus I

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus-home

Reactions: 1 users
Another way:

20130820.png

@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @libertyyne @eteshoe probably have more ideas regarding study strategies

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

what I did was looked at what type of questions were on quiz or practice test and usually they have very similar questions. TA's or your Math Help should be helpful (unless they are crappy at explaining stuff) but just make sure you have studied before you go to them and have very specific questions. Khan academy should help to. Good luck!

Khan academy and youtube are good for hashing out things your teachers dont go over. It is a great skill to pick up since the higher up you get more learning is self directed.

Paul's Online Math Notes for Calculus I are your best friend. Khan Academy can help as well, but many of my students have reported that their videos are scattershot and not well organized. The key to calculus is to make it concrete. This is a good resource for that: Introduction to Calculus Explore that link for more detailed examples using realistic topics rather than just abstract graphs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup Paul's Math Notes saved my bacon. The best thing to do to nail down the concepts are to do tons of practice problems. I used to read TBs, Paul's Notes, then do more problems than were assigned. Also now YouTube is a major resource. And I would definitely say utilize your tutoring hrs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup Paul's Math Notes saved my bacon. The best thing to do to nail down the concepts are to do tons of practice problems. I used to read TBs, Paul's Notes, then do more problems than were assigned. Also now YouTube is a major resource. And I would definitely say utilize your tutoring hrs.

Tutoring is hit or miss. If you have a crappy tutor, they can actually make it harder to understand simple things. When I first started my college career, I actually changed majors out of mathematics because my first linear algebra professor was horrendous, and the recitation courses were even worse. The first day of class, he literally came in and just started doing linear transformations on the board without explaining what the hell he was doing. We were all like, uh...we've taken calc 1. Wtf is this ****?

I changed majors, but later decided to give math one more shot, and I had an amazing calc 2 prof and linear algebra prof who explained things in concrete terms. It was like falling in love.

My wife actually hates that I'm a mathematician. I will randomly talk about math stuff that I find interesting, and it drives her nuts. I just went through the derivation of the perimeter of an ellipse to illustrate why the RMS approximation for the average radius of an ellipse is the easiest method to use for someone in my class. I started explaining it to my wife, and she ran away.

Reactions: 2 users
I used my university tutoring program and found a tutor that really knew the material and was also effective at teaching/explaining it. I suggest either starting tutoring or seeing your professor in office hours for their suggestion. I would not have been able to get an A without them, no doubt. If they do not help, Khan Academy is a great resource that I used extensively for ochem. Do not just try to keep going, calculus builds on the old material, so it will get progressively harder if you do not understand the previous concepts.

I'm feeling your pain! We had a notoriously awful calculus teacher in high school, so everyone in the class hired the same amazing tutor. Honestly, once the concepts started to click, I didn't need tutoring any longer and everything came together much faster. But the initial hump was very difficult to get past. It sounds like you're at that same hurdle I was facing (as well as additional concepts he's not covering in class, although many concepts will come together if you can understand the theory behind everything). Start with all resources listed above and ask around if there are any particular tutors who are known to be fantastic - it's true that they really are hit or miss. Best of luck - I hope you are able to really understand it in the coming weeks!

"My wife actually hates that I'm a mathematician. I will randomly talk about math stuff that I find interesting, and it drives her nuts. I just went through the derivation of the perimeter of an ellipse to illustrate why the RMS approximation for the average radius of an ellipse is the easiest method to use for someone in my class. I started explaining it to my wife, and she ran away.[/QUOTE]

@Matthew9Thirtyfive You must buy this book (or tell your wife you want it, an easy Christmas gift!) "The Math Book" by Clifford A. Pickover
My husband, an MD and applied math major, loved it so much he only let himself read one topic a day because he didn't want it to be over :)

Last edited:
@Matthew9Thirtyfive You must buy this book (or tell your wife you want it, an easy Christmas gift!) "The Math Book" by Clifford A. Pickover
My husband, an MD and applied math major, loved it so much he only let himself read one topic a day because he didn't want it to be over :)

Oh man, I am definitely getting that book. They make a physics and a chemistry one too. So cool.

I used my university tutoring program and found a tutor that really knew the material and was also effective at teaching/explaining it. I suggest either starting tutoring or seeing your professor in office hours for their suggestion. I would not have been able to get an A without them, no doubt. If they do not help, Khan Academy is a great resource that I used extensively for ochem. Do not just try to keep going, calculus builds on the old material, so it will get progressively harder if you do not understand the previous concepts.
Yeah I've heard this so I'd like to get on top of it while I can