C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was in a similar boat as you 3 years ago. Decided to take the hscp since I was planning on attending my state school(total cost with living in the dorm is around 55k/year). So far it has been working out great. My net pay started out at $41-4,200 net a month and has increased to
$4,700 net per month now(pay increase Avery year and also significantly every two years) Also remember that we will be making more than our hpsp counterparts since our 4 year in school counts.

You need to calculate your total pay and pay attention to the BAH rate. Also if you have dependent your pay is higher. I personally know a few people attending Columbia and NYU that are on hscp and they said their monthly payment is pretty high due to the schools Zipcode.
Great input AVB2104 -

Here is the BAH calculator. This is non taxable. For HSCP and no prior service they would go in as E6 right?
BAH Calculator

Here is the Pay Pay Chart - Use the last entry Jan 1st 2017.
https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/military-pay-charts.html

Members don't see this ad.

Still doesn't feel real. How much are people getting after taxes for the monthly HPSP payments?

Anyone who heard back in the Navy HPSP February Board receive a Final selection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone! I've been following this thread very closely, so I don't think this has been answered yet. If it has, please let me know. I just got results back as well. My recruiter called this morning, and told me that I don't officially have the scholarship, but I am ranked as a top candidate. He said that I am in a group of 50 people with this same classification. He said that they select from this list if anyone gives their scholarship up, and they also take the top 20 for some sort of 3.5 year scholarship starting in the second semester of the first year (not my words). He said that notifications for this go out around October. Has anyone had any experience with this? Specifically, what do you think my chances are of receiving the 4 year HPSP at this point? On top of that, he also said that I was accepted to the HSCP program. I'm honestly a bit confused about all of this. From a benefit perspective, what I should accept? Should I hold out for the Navy 4 year HPSP or just apply for the AF 3 year scholarship. If there is any information missing from the explanation of my question that would help you to answer, please let me know.

Stats
DAT: 22 AA
Science GPA: 3.66 (w+/-)
take the navy 3 year. the scholarships are getting harder to get every year

I was selected during the February board (my recruiter told me my name was on the list), what exactly does this mean? Do I have it for sure or what? I need to know whats going on so that I can report it to my school for financial aid purposes, thanks.

Has anyone from the February board received a final selection letter? My recruiter called me today and told me they gave out more professional recommendations this year than there are spots. Apparently all 60 scholarships are already given out and everyone who was professionally recommended is now on a wait list for spots to open. Has anyone else heard this?

Has anyone from the February board received a final selection letter? My recruiter called me today and told me they gave out more professional recommendations this year than there are spots. Apparently all 60 scholarships are already given out and everyone who was professionally recommended is now on a wait list for spots to open. Has anyone else heard this?
I'm in the same boat. Got excited too early cause he told me last week that I was accepted...

I'm in the same boat. Got excited too early cause he told me last week that I was accepted...

Did your recruiter also call you today to tell about the waitlist?

Is this Navy?

Received my Final Select letter today!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!!! I am about 100 times more excited about being selected for the Navy 4 year HPSP than I was when I found out I got accepted into dental school hahah

Congratulations.:claps:
Since you were in the Feb board that gives us (March boards) a time frame. Hopefully spots are still available and we can get our final selection letter..
(crossing fingers)

Reactions: 1 users
My recruiter (Army) got ahold of me, he says my scroll has been approved and I can commission as soon as it's signed.

Thanks!!! I am about 100 times more excited about being selected for the Navy 4 year HPSP than I was when I found out I got accepted into dental school hahah

Haha I can imagine. You've earned this!! Hope you are treating yourself for this amazing achievement.

My recruiter (Army) got ahold of me, he says my scroll has been approved and I can commission as soon as it's signed.

Congratulations, soon-to-be 2nd Lt.!

I heard from my recruiter today. He is saying I have to retake the opat test now even though I just took it in December? I really don't want to have to retake it, does anyone know any info on this?

So I posted about a month ago about being one of the people waitlisted for the Navy 4 year HPSP. Since then, my recruiter explained that they would accept people off the waitlist in October and that I would find out more around that time. Yesterday, my recruiter contacted me saying that for some unknown reason, they got the list early and I was not on it and should accept the HSCP instead. I'm so confused, as I was told my waitlist position was high and that my chances were "very good." Anyone else get any news over the weekend? Not that I don't trust my recruiter, but she has been getting very pushy about the HSCP (which I explained I simply can't take with the amount of loans I'll be taking out for UoP.. wouldn't be able to pay off the 200k in loans AFTER the scholarship with a military salary). Anyways thanks for any info you guys have gotten. I would think that they could just keep me on the waitlist for next financial year in October??

Ha, as a healthcare recruiter myself that hurts...we do it to ourselves. However, judge the individual not every single recruiter in general. I currently hold a 100% selection rate for every student program and have great pride in what I do. I am here for any questions to help fill in the gap of what info you are not getting (Army only).

No word. Recruiters are not efficient people.

Ha, as a healthcare recruiter myself that hurts...we do it to ourselves. However, judge the individual not every single recruiter in general. I currently hold a 100% selection rate for every student program and have great pride in what I do. I am here for any questions to help fill in the gap of what info you are not getting (Army only).
I guess my biggest question is when will the Army start pulling people off of the OML? Is it possible that they will not take anyone off the OML? My recruiter has told me that there are individuals that received the scholarship but have declined it. Is it possible that the Army will decline to fill those vacancies?

So I posted about a month ago about being one of the people waitlisted for the Navy 4 year HPSP. Since then, my recruiter explained that they would accept people off the waitlist in October and that I would find out more around that time. Yesterday, my recruiter contacted me saying that for some unknown reason, they got the list early and I was not on it and should accept the HSCP instead. I'm so confused, as I was told my waitlist position was high and that my chances were "very good." Anyone else get any news over the weekend? Not that I don't trust my recruiter, but she has been getting very pushy about the HSCP (which I explained I simply can't take with the amount of loans I'll be taking out for UoP.. wouldn't be able to pay off the 200k in loans AFTER the scholarship with a military salary). Anyways thanks for any info you guys have gotten. I would think that they could just keep me on the waitlist for next financial year in October??
Same thing basically happened to me. I was told in March I'd been selected, then my recruiter said something about me actually being on the waitlist last week. I was offered the HSCP instead so I accepted it.

Don't underestimate the power of HSCP. Depending on your career goals, it can be an absolutely fantastic option.

Don't underestimate the power of HSCP. Depending on your career goals, it can be an absolutely fantastic option.

Right. Totally agree with this. However, since I'm doing UoP and anticipate having to take out over 450k in loans, I'm guessing it isn't very doable. I understand less loans is better than anything, but wouldn't those loans accrue interest during my active duty payback (while I could instead be making more $$ in private practice)?

Maybe, no guarantee.
But I recommend you look at all your options, like how to best utilize GI Bill, or loan forgiveness programs. You would also not need any health insurance. And you have the opportunity to maximize TSP from day 1 of dental school which is a REALLY big deal.

I guess my biggest question is when will the Army start pulling people off of the OML? Is it possible that they will not take anyone off the OML? My recruiter has told me that there are individuals that received the scholarship but have declined it. Is it possible that the Army will decline to fill those vacancies?

They already have pulled a few off. I have seen at least 3-4 who have been activated off the OML for the dental scholarship.

You are correct, I may have fallen victim to the representativeness heuristic. I wish you were my recruiter because the past have led me astray.

Are you aware of the general time frame where 3 years are pulled off OML?

Most of them should have been pulled already. I will be honest I have never heard of a 3 year who applies and then declines. Most who apply already a year into dental school are pretty solid on their plans and what they want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
W
Most of them should have been pulled already. I will be honest I have never heard of a 3 year who applies and then declines. Most who apply already a year into dental school are pretty solid on their plans and what they want to do.

Well that stings

Army 4-year OMLs, has anyone been told anything from their recruiters?

Last edited:
Army 4-year OMLs, has anyone been told anything from their recruiters?

They just released the numbers, it does look there are three spots just hanging out for 4 year Dental HPSP. Not sure when they will pull them but it does look like three will get pulled. Three year Dental is closed for all those that were waiting on info.