C&L Job opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ari202

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved doing C&L last year and I think thats what I want to do. I was wondering if it is important to do a psychosomatic fellowship if one is interested in this as a career option later on?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
nope, i was interviewed for and/or offered several C/L positions on the west coast, northeast and midwest, and no one, not once, mentioned me not having a C/L fellowship - except that a couple places asked if i would be director of the c/l fellowship (which I would be ineligible for since I'm not boarded in psychosomatic medicine). I know for a fact I was offered one position over people who did complete a C/L fellowship. C/L has been a growth area in recent years so there are quite a few jobs, and not many people want to do them. It's also quite common for people to see consults as part of a more general role (i.e. they see inpatients and also see consults) in smaller hospitals. If you wish to become a PSM fellowship director then you must do a PSM fellowship, and if you want to work at a major academic medical center but did not complete your residency at one then it would be advantageous to do a PSM fellowship at one. The main reason to do a fellowship is because you want to.

Many of the people who do PSM fellowships are awful so will be beaten out of the job market by better people who didn't do a PSM fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to do C&L and a major academic center, I'd advise doing a fellowship. Otherwise it's not important. Consults generally doesn't pay that well, so there are plenty of openings.

My nearest hospital offered 85% of Medicare rates to me. They refused to negotiate up. Years later, they have no one doing psych consults.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do C&L and a major academic center, I'd advise doing a fellowship. Otherwise it's not important. Consults generally doesn't pay that well, so there are plenty of openings.

My nearest hospital offered 85% of Medicare rates to me. They refused to negotiate up. Years later, they have no one doing psych consults.

What are the codes used in C&L and average billing for the codes?

Thanks for the input. I love C&L so much, its so nice to work with other teams.