C- in Organic Chemistry

RDHtoDDS_40

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I might get a C- in Organic Chemistry II. Does that mean I'll have to re-take it to get into Dental schools like UIC (top choice) which specifies all grades must be C and above??

I'm planning on applying in June so could I still apply but retake Orgo II during my gap year?

Any advice would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

I think I might get a C- in Organic Chemistry II. Does that mean I'll have to re-take it to get into Dental schools like UIC (top choice) which specifies all grades must be C and above??

I'm planning on applying in June so could I still apply but retake Orgo II during my gap year?

Yes, in my case I had to retake General Chemistry, which I got a C- during my first semester >.<
I took it during the summer I was applying to dental schools and just updated my grades during the academic update.
Schools usually require you to take prereqs with minimum grade requirements before matriculation, and for some schools it must be prior to the summer that school starts.

I think it depends. Do you have A's in all of your other courses? If this class is your only "bad" grade then you can plausibly explain it away (I was sick....I had one bad test.....etc). If you are an exceptional candidate, one C- is not going to make a school reject you outright.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake any pre req class with a c-. If you really want to be competitive and give yourself the best chance of getting accepted.

Apply and retake the course. What's your DAT score like?
-Advice from a fellow RDH