Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard the average GPA and MCAT went up for this upcoming class, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure they'll release it soon.
Is there any particular reason you're wondering about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of applicants in the DA list would have gotten admission in other well known/older schools; so the waiting list will have to be used..
No i understand that. I just dont understand the pessimism in the thread- i've seen a few comments implying that if you're on the wait list, you're not likely to get a spot. Just seems weird seeing as Alba said there was massive turnaround last year and this year is probably going to be similar, albeit probably not as much

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I want to make sure the scores are respectable and competitive.

That's a difficult assessment to make based on Undergraduate GPA and MCAT, particularly given that the MCAT is not a good metric for predicting performance in medical school. The reality is that there are only so many ways to teach medicine. The majority of your performance on boards will be dependent on YOU, not where you go. People who go to "respectable and competitive" ivy league programs still perform poorly on boards, and boards is the primary factor determining whether you match or not. WHERE you go to school might make an impact if you're at Harvard, or Hopkins, but there isn't a D.O. program that has that kind of weight behind their name, so it's a non-issue.

I would also point out the following: ALL medical schools are competitive, though D.O. programs traditionally take a broader spectrum of students than their M.D. counterparts. It's not in the best interest of the school to admit subpar applicants, as that will affect their match statistics, and potentially their accreditation status.

That's a difficult assessment to make based on Undergraduate GPA and MCAT, particularly given that the MCAT is not a good metric for predicting performance in medical school. The reality is that there are only so many ways to teach medicine. The majority of your performance on boards will be dependent on YOU, not where you go. People who go to "respectable and competitive" ivy league programs still perform poorly on boards, and boards is the primary factor determining whether you match or not. WHERE you go to school might make an impact if you're at Harvard, or Hopkins, but there isn't a D.O. program that has that kind of weight behind their name, so it's a non-issue.

I would also point out the following: ALL medical schools are competitive, though D.O. programs traditionally take a broader spectrum of students than their M.D. counterparts. It's not in the best interest of the school to admit subpar applicants, as that will affect their match statistics, and potentially their accreditation status.

1) Okay, let's just take a deep breath. Friend, that was kind of an existential/defensive answer for my wanting to know the MCAT/GPA for this school. I have a right to know those scores, just like I have a right to know the board scores and match rate for a school. Unfortunately, those are not available so I will resort to looking at the MCAT/GPA. And judging by your tone it sounds like you already knew why I was asking for the MCAT/GPA.

2) The MCAT changed, so we don't know if it's a "good" metric for predicting performance in medical school yet. However, it is *supposed* to be a better metric than the old one.

3) You're right, although I think SOME DO schools have some more weight than others. I've read several sources and where you go to medical school is not a top factor, although it is a factor. Also, speaking to my resident friends, it's best to go to a "good DO" school rather than a "bad DO" school because people on committees tend to have ideas about what constitutes a good/bad DO school. I'm not saying that Burrell is bad, I'm just relaying what she said. Are some people interviewing potential candidates going to be somewhat biased? Um, yeah. But matching mainly has to do with boards, LORs, boards, grades in clerkships, boards, personal statement, boards and boards. So, I would agree with you there.

On the flip side, CUSOM just graduated their first class, and their match rate is stellar. ... so that's cool.

I think people get very defensive when they feel that their school is being questioned in a negative way but it is true, you should have all the information you need to make the best decision for your future. Since BCOM is only entering its second class, of course no match list available. That is not to say that it's students wont have amazing match rates or poor match rates, only time will tell. I mean at the end of the day all of these med schools had to start somewhere right? At the end of the day (this is completely my personal opinion from sources I have read) it comes down to your board scores and LORs. I think "status" of the school is more significant if it were a school like Harvard or Columbia, or if the hospital has close ties and associations with certain schools. Of course I could be wrong. Also, just because a school has a stellar match rate, it doesn't mean that you will fall into that category (not you personally just students in general). Eh just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when the waitlist will start moving/if it started yet?

So you would agree with the ENTIRE point I was making?

Didn't imply you didn't have a right. Just pointing out that there isn't any consistent evidence to show that it will actually predict performance/placement.

Not relevant.

If you're trying to figure out what program you should go to (because it seems like you have multiple options) MCAT/GPA should be the bottom of the PRO's/CON's list. (though it says you're a medical student already...not sure if you're just hanging out on application threads for giggles?):unsure:

I am no longer going to argue with you, especially with your hostility towards me. We're not getting anywhere.

Last edited:
The fact that you are getting so defensive with me about your program is seriously turning me off to it. And yes, I have multiple options, unlike you who was probably given like one DO school. Anyways, I'm sorry you have a chip on your shoulder and I wish you well. Do yourself a favor and get offline and just focus on studying.

whitegoodman2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
People are most likely just agreeing with you because this is the only medical school they got accepted to and they don't want to face the reality or be skeptical about it.

You have every right to want to know more about your future school, but this sounds like you think you're better than other students who are planning to go to BCOM (your possible future colleagues). If you already feel that BCOM is beneath you, I don't see why you would want to even go here. This is a new school and obviously, the average MCAT/GPA will probably not be the same as a more established school. If MCAT/GPA matters a lot to you, perhaps going to a school with averages of 30/3.6+ would be better for you.

I agree with @TheFutureFatMan about how well you do on your boards is up to you. There are many cases of people (yes, I personally know them) who have less than stellar MCAT but perform much higher than average on the boards. There are also people who score high on their MCATs and end up average on the boards.

No, BCOM isn't my only option.

You have every right to want to know more about your future school, but this sounds like you think you're better than other students who are planning to go to BCOM (your possible future colleagues). If you already feel that BCOM is beneath you, I don't see why you would want to even go here. This is a new school and obviously, the average MCAT/GPA will probably not be the same as a more established school. If MCAT/GPA matters a lot to you, perhaps going to a school with averages of 30/3.6+ would be better for you.

I agree with @TheFutureFatMan about how well you do on your boards is up to you. There are many cases of people (yes, I personally know them) who have less than stellar MCAT but perform much higher than average on the boards. There are also people who score high on their MCATs and end up average on the boards.

No, BCOM isn't my only option.
I really like BCOM. It seems like a great school with a huge potential. I will not be surprised if it will merge with the NMSU in the near future like Edward Via done with VA Tech. There is a reason they share campus. The MCAT/GPA will go up tremendously.

I'll just say that many people go to the carribean and match in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just say that many people go to the carribean and match in the states.
Just to say I am a doctor I wouldn't study in carribean/if one thinks to become a doctor for money it is wrong, engineers and business people makes more depends on the path they choose. I seen people from carribean couldn't pass USMLE and change their career to something else. Just giving my opinion that is all. It takes experience to understand my point.

Just to say I am a doctor I wouldn't study in carribean/if one thinks to become a doctor for money it is wrong, engineers and business people makes more depends on the path they choose. I seen people from carribean couldn't pass USMLE and change their career to something else. Just giving my opinion that is all. It takes experience to understand my point.
Youre a doctor? Interesting that you are applying this cycle too. So much experience.

Are you a physician? What brings you to applying again?

There are significant troubles with the caribbean schools, and that's a discussion that could go on and on and on and on. The problems are NOT typically that they don't pass the USMLE. Caribbean schools tend to teach specifically for the boards, and actually don't do that poorly. there are just bigger financial issues with those schools existing and qualifying for the Match. (and the Match is DEFINITELY a topic for a different thread lol).

Yes, becoming a physician for the salary is probably not a great idea (also it will be fairly disappointing). I would point out that with a debt status that is often called "crippling" pre medical/medical students are being forced to consider finances in a way they wouldn't have a decade ago. This is not so much about wanting to make a lot of money to have a lavish lifestyle, as it is they're concerned with the ability to reasonably pay down their debt.

Let's play nicely people. Please keep the conversation professional and civil.
Can I ask who you are addressing? One poster (aidnaltiam) mocked another member under some pretense of "superiority" due to her multiple acceptances.

Let's play nicely people. Please keep the conversation professional and civil.
Dear future DOs, I wish Adrian Alba could read this thread because as I can see a few of you really fooled the admissions committee on your maturity and professionalism. Calling you future colleague an IDIOT to their face? I hope you truly have more options and chose another school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Can I ask who you are addressing? One poster (aidnaltiam) mocked another member under some pretense of "superiority" due to her multiple acceptances.

If you feel someone is trolling or breaking TOS with their post then please use the "report to moderator" feature down below.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dear future DOs, I wish Adrian Alba could read this thread because as I can see a few of you really fooled to admissions committee on your maturity and professionalism. Calling you future colleague an IDIOT to their face? I hope you truly have more options and chose another school.
Valid, everyone is probably sleep deprived and getting a little keyboard-happy. It happens.

On a completely unrelated note, if you ARE in, check out the Facebook page. People are starting to ramp up their apartment hunts, and the influx of 160+ students in august will make that more challenging.

I think the general consensus (on SDN) in terms of matching is: U.S. MD> U.S. DO > Caribbean.

I do know that BCOM takes clinical education very seriously, and the feedback from students I know from the Caribbean has been that it't not emphasized at their programs (obviously that's anecdotal). That's a definite plus to the BCOM program. The sim lab's are useful, clinical faculty is amazing.

On a completely unrelated note, if you ARE in, check out the Facebook page. People are starting to ramp up their apartment hunts, and the influx of 160+ students in august will make that more challenging.

If you aren't on a waitlist already for an apartment, get on one asap. :]

Reactions: 1 users
If you aren't on a waitlist already for an apartment, get on one asap. :]

You don't have to tell me twice haha I've been on copperstone's wait list for over a month. I'm hoping they call me in May because they are my top choice.

You don't have to tell me twice haha I've been on copperstone's wait list for over a month. I'm hoping they call me in May because they are my top choice.

That's what I was told as well. I am the first on the waitlist for a single flat and I was told that I would be getting a call in May about it.

This may have been discussed already but I think I missed it. So we have a possibility of being accepted, waitlisted, and deferred? So do they take off the deferred list first? And then how do they choose people off the waitlist?

This may have been discussed already but I think I missed it. So we have a possibility of being accepted, waitlisted, and deferred? So do they take off the deferred list first? And then how do they choose people off the waitlist?
Correct. You have the possibility of being accepted, waitlisted, or deferred. They pull people off of the deferred list first. Once (or if) the deferred list is cleared out, they will start pulling from the waitlist. The waitlist is ranked and you can usually get an answer from admissions regarding where you generally fall on it (top third, or whatnot).

Correct. You have the possibility of being accepted, waitlisted, or deferred. They pull people off of the deferred list first. Once (or if) the deferred list is cleared out, they will start pulling from the waitlist. The waitlist is ranked and you can usually get an answer from admissions regarding where you generally fall on it (top third, or whatnot).
How do you get an answer regarding where you are on the waitlist?

I just got pulled from the DA list! Is there an accepted students page on FB. I'm trying to find a roommate for this year. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
Same! For the first part. Ecstatic

Edit: I have no idea what I'm doing on this thing...I meant pulled off DA list

How do you get an answer regarding where you are on the waitlist?

It's probably true that it's not helpful to ask until interview are over because your place will change. You should be able to ask Adrian or admissions after that point to get a ballpark.

Does anyone know if there is a daily class schedule available for us to preview?

Does anyone know if there is a daily class schedule available for us to preview?

What I know so far is something like three days a week 8 - 4pm, two days a week 8 - 12pm. Might be +/- and hour but I read that two days are short, three are long.

What I know so far is something like three days a week 8 - 4pm, two days a week 8 - 12pm. Might be +/- and hour but I read that two days are short, three are long.

Did you see this somewhere or word of mouth?

I think the general consensus (on SDN) in terms of matching is: U.S. MD> U.S. DO > Caribbean.

I do know that BCOM takes clinical education very seriously, and the feedback from students I know from the Caribbean has been that it't not emphasized at their programs (obviously that's anecdotal). That's a definite plus to the BCOM program. The sim lab's are useful, clinical faculty is amazing.

Which hospital of your clinical education has a bed size larger than 150-200?

Monday and Tuesdays are long days of 8-4 or 8-5 lectures depending on the week. Wednesday and Fridays are typically much shorter (8-12). However, during busy blocks you might expect to stay a few hours longer on those days. There has been a Friday recently where we've had to stay until 3pm. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Thursdays are our skills day. Your individual schedule will depend on what group you're placed in. The schedule for each group shifts every 3 or 4 weeks so some weeks you'll get out at 2 and some weeks you'll get out at 5.

Monday and Tuesdays are long days of 8-4 or 8-5 lectures depending on the week. Wednesday and Fridays are typically much shorter (8-12). However, during busy blocks you might expect to stay a few hours longer on those days. There has been a Friday recently where we've had to stay until 3pm. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Thursdays are our skills day. Your individual schedule will depend on what group you're placed in. The schedule for each group shifts every 3 or 4 weeks so some weeks you'll get out at 2 and some weeks you'll get out at 5.

So you're assigned to a group with other students for the year? That's the first time I'm hearing about this...could you elaborate more on this?

So you're assigned to a group with other students for the year? That's the first time I'm hearing about this...could you elaborate more on this?

For the semester they divide you into 4 big groups (A, B, C, D). There's literally no way to fit every single individual student in the OMM lab or the sim labs at the same time so only a quarter of the class are in each at any given time. They rotate what time you're in those classes.

Same! For the first part. Ecstatic

Edit: I have no idea what I'm doing on this thing...I meant pulled off DA list
Does anyone know or hear how big the Alternative List for this year is?

Does anyone know or hear how big the Alternative List for this year is?
Adrian said the DA list would be smaller than last year, so around 50 or so.

Hopefully! It's where I want to go. I'm praying I get pulled off soon haha