Building IM match list, interested in Cardio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobloblaw123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I am at the end of my IM interview season and the two program I am leaning towards heavily are Baylor, USC, and Hopkins-bayview. I do not really mind geographically where i spend the next 3 years, but I would like to be able to end up at a New York or a California Cardiology program. Here are my thoughts on these programs:

Baylor: Historically a great program, great schedule, happy residents, Loved the APDs (only saw PD for 1 hour when he made a presentation), money goes further in houston, program is very strong in cardio, great fellowship placement. Only issue, it seems like a large portion of those going into cardio match and stay in Houston. Not as many residents matching in New York or Cali, not sure if this is because of resident preference or not.

USC: I loved this program because of the PD, APDs, and residents. They have made huge strides in the past couple of years and their fellowship list looks awesome for cardio. They have matched all over California, some in New york. Get to live in LA. They haven't adopted the x+y system, large class size, but it doesnt seem like the residents mind/it hasnt really affected them.

Hopkins-bayview: Again, great PDs, APDs, residents. Baltimore doesnt seem like the best spot, but again I dont mind it for 3 years. Very heavily geared for primary care, altho residents have done well in the match.Get to work w/ hopkins faculty which sort of gives way to maybe possibly getting into hopkins cardio, altho this is not a backdoor to hopkins as others have said. Not many have matched outside of the northeast for cardio from the program.

I wanted to see if anyone in the field of cardiology has anything to add in terms of how I should rank these programs. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

baylor > usc = bayview

also, there is a thread for this