BU vs UMass for competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I choose?

• BU

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • UMass

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters

fictionalfinalism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really like BU and Boston over UMass and Worcester but feel bad passing up a significantly lower tuition. What is your financial situation, will you be taking out full loans? You will get a fine education at UMass and you'll be able to do what you want to do, but you will have more opportunities, fun, and fit better at BU and Boston. Even if you take on the BU debt, you'll be able to pay it off eventually. It won't ruin your life, but it will take a few years more to pay it off. Are those resources, opportunities, and living in Boston worth an extra $100,000 plus interest and living fees?

IMHO (from someone who goes to one of the Boston schools), the difference in prestige between the two isn't big enough to justify the gap in cost of attendance. I would pick UMass. Your ability to get good research opportunities will probably be somewhat more favorable at BU, but I don't think it'll really make a difference. You'll likely get what you want from either school.

More stuff: you can still live in Boston if you go to UMass. A couple of my friends from undergrad have done it, and although it can kinda suck during 3rd year, it's not that big of an issue for the most part. It's up to you if want to deal with greater cost of living in Boston. You could just live halfway in Natick or thereabouts, and you'd be reducing your rent while still having good access to both locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people will argue money trumps everything, other people will say go with your gut. I think you will be absolutely fine coming from either place! the whole quality of life dilemma is something that you should talk about with people close to you, since advice from people on forums will only go so far. If you end up going to BU next year, I'll probably see you there! :)

**could benefit from more thoughts on this choice