BU vs Hofstra (Massive CoA Difference)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonPanda1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 50/50 right now so why not ask SDN for their opinion.

BU:

Pros:
Better opportunities (research and match list) and better for my career.
More urban life that I prefer and opportunities to meet my future significant other.
Loved the Dean of Admissions.
Nice housing but expensive. (subsidized guaranteed only for first year)

Cons:
The CoA, before interest, is $150,000 more than Hofstra. I come from a middle class family so it's a lot of money.
Faculties, interviewers and students left a neutral impression. However, I only met a small subset of the people there so it would be silly to make a judgement based on that.
Facilities looked older.

Hofstra-Northwell:

Pros:
Loved the students and faculty.
Everything is brand-new.
They believe in their students in a way that I see few schools do.
$150,000 cheaper than BU.

Cons:
Mandatory lectures (but forces interaction which I like)
Doesn't have the "prestige" that BU has but the difference is minimal IMO.

If money wasn't a factor, I'd choose BU but unfortunately, it isn't.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in academics?

I want to guide the future of medicine and medical education whether through teaching and/or leadership. I dream big so it might just be youthful naivete speaking but I would like to see myself one day as the first Asian US Secretary of Health.

BU for sure. Go to the school without the crazy faculty. Plus, do you really want to live in Long Island?

Members don't see this ad :)
This decision basically boils down to money versus prestige/location, so you have to weigh whether the negligible difference in prestige and the better location is worth the money. The condition of the facilities are a non-factor in my opinion. Mandatory lectures are like a double-edged sword. Some like it because it encourages class camaraderie and prevents slacking off, while others find it a pain to be forced to go to class. It's up to you to choose what you think of it.

If I was making the decision, I would go with Hofstra. The difference in reputation is less significant than the difference in money. However, I will concede that Boston may be better if you want to go into academics, but I could be wrong. You would be giving up Boston, which is definitely a negative, but Hofstra is close enough to NYC to meet your significant other if that's a worry.Best of luck on the decision!

Reactions: 1 user