Program-Specific Info / Q's BU OTD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringOTD18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(see other post)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a current female undergraduate student who will start applying to OTD programs this summer. BU is most definitely my number one choice, but I'm incredibly nervous about getting an acceptance from them. I recently took the GRE and obtained 151 quant, 152 verbal, which is one point below what they expect for verbal, but above what they want for quant.

Here are some of my other stats:
Purdue University Class of 2018 (degree completed in 3 years time)
Major: Health Science
Concentration: Pre-OT
Minors: Psychology, Human Development and Family Studies
GPA: 3.4
Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.8 depending on the school
Over 350 observation hours at a pediatric therapy clinic since 2014, 280 with OTs specifically
Medical mission trips to south america
Respite working for a family with special needs children for 2 years
Studying abroad and conducting research in Italy this summer for women's health
I'm also an RA (last year and will be again this upcoming year) and I volunteer at various nursing homes and with special needs kids in my free time

I'm worried with an average GPA and that "low" GRE score in verbal, my application will be overlooked. I'm also only 20 years old since I essentially skipped a year of college, and would be 20 at the time of an interview. Will that hurt my chances in any way? What can I do to improve my application even more? Are there any recommendations for specific things they look for in the supplemental essay? Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
Hi there! I don't know specifically about BU, but I think if you want to be competitive, you should really meet or exceed their minimum requirements. That being said, I would try and re-take the GRE and meet that minimum score. Many schools are so competitive these days that they will just toss out applicants who don't meet their minimum requirements. Also, i know you are set on BU, but definitely apply to other schools that appeal to you. Look at their minimum requirements and meet or exceed those as well. If possible, schedule an appointment with academic advisors at those schools to see how they are calculating GPAs and what they recommend. Good luck!

Hi all,

I applied to BU in October of 2018 and received an email in December inviting me to take the next step of my application. I filled out the supplemental application and submitted that the same day it was received. It's now mid January and I have not heard anything. Does anyone of have any experience with this?

Thanks!