BU or Umass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4malit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for posting this on here, but I wanted to crowd-source this question because I don't have anyone else to talk to regarding medical school.

I am deciding between BU and UMass for medical school. I'm a MA resident, hoping to practice in MA (and maybe do residency in Boston). My factors for deciding right now are, in order:

1. how well each school prepares you for Step 1
2. availability of research
3. cost

There's some weird factors also. My dad works at BMC so I get small perks like parking for free. Umass will be 88k cheaper (22k*4 years - just tuition/fees) because I have enough saved to cover any difference in cost of living.

That's all the huge points I can think of. If there's anything factors that people normally wouldn't think of, please let me know. Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

does free parking at BMC cover the 88k difference????????????? lol

If those are the only "huge points" you can think of, go UMass.
1. people always say it is individual motivation and hardwork that prepares for step1, not necessarily the school.
2. going to UMass does not stop you from doing research at harvard, BU, tufts, or UMass.
3. cost...88k difference.

Umass for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
if I wanted to definitely work in a Boston hospital (BW, beth israel, MGH), how can I connect with physicians from those hospitals?

if I wanted to definitely work in a Boston hospital (BW, beth israel, MGH), how can I connect with physicians from those hospitals?

What do you mean how can you connect with those hospitals?

If you want to match there you need to do well on steps and do a rotation in the specialty you want to do residency in as an away rotation there.

Do you get a tuition break at bu because of your dad?

Also you really didn't like Einstein huh? Or just too expensive in comparison?

Last edited:
As what I have heard, there are people from Umass that match to a number of these boston hospitals every year. They are not exclusive to harvard and the likes. If you want to connect with physicians from these hospitals during med school, just reach out a little. There will be contacts in your school that will help, and if there is a particular area of interest, more than likely fellow physicians are happy to help you explore it.

Go for the school that you are happy to be at and then decide which one helps you keep money in your pocket.

Do you get a tuition break at bu because of your dad?

Also you really didn't like Einstein huh? Or just too expensive in comparison?

no tuition breaks for medical school at BU. einstein's tuition is comparable to BU's, but BU is closer to my family.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like both are pretty even for you ---- the one significant difference being the cost.... I'd personally pick Umass.

You can't put a price on not having to worry about massive amounts of debt coming out of medical school. If you go somewhere where you're going to be adding $200,000ish it's going to force your hand on a lot of career choices because you'll need the money. U Mass is also waaaaaay cheaper than living in boston. Rent is ridiculous.

As what I have heard, there are people from Umass that match to a number of these boston hospitals every year. They are not exclusive to harvard and the likes. If you want to connect with physicians from these hospitals during med school, just reach out a little. There will be contacts in your school that will help, and if there is a particular area of interest, more than likely fellow physicians are happy to help you explore it.

Go for the school that you are happy to be at and then decide which one helps you keep money in your pocket.
I went through this same question during med school decision making. Graduating UMass in a few weeks and I can say, I have not for one second regretted going to UMass.

Your questions:
1. My class's average step 1 score was 238, many of us scored 250+
2. Tons of research in every field, we matched 2 to ophtho, 4 to ortho, 1 uro, 1 ENT, 1 neurosurg, 1 plastics, derm, etc. About a third to a half of my class is doing residency in Boston. 3 matched at Children's for peds, multiple in medicine at BWH, BI, MGH, BMC, Tufts, etc.
3. Cost? You're kidding right? UMass is so much cheaper AND ranked higher in most rankings (top 10 primary care, top 50 research).

Finally, you didn't ask, but location. Worcester?? Well, it's not that bad and housing is so affordable and nice. You can live in a brand new house, walk to school, and pay $500/month. Good luck finding that in Boston. My fiancee lived in Boston throughout med school (I moved here 4th year, and many live in Boston throughout med school and commute, which is possible but annoying). I was in Boston every weekend. for the first 3 years, it's only about a 45 minute drive.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
would like to hear more thoughts on this choice