BU additional information requested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The additional information request this year seemed to be focused on trying to figure out whether BU was actually a top choice or a safety school. That being said, I replied promptly on January 12th (when the email was sent), and haven't heard back yet, so who knows. However, since being accepted to Tulane (my top choice!), I'm less concerned with their reply, but best of luck to anyone who is still waiting to hear from them!!!

Members don't see this ad.

They did. I responded promptly with the supplemental essay because it is silly to apply to a school, pay the fee to do so, and then give up on it because you feel too uppity to write a short essay.

That being said, I'd rather not be contacted for essays so late in the process. It seems a bit silly and redundant. Sucks for the peace corps girl though

Not really, I think that she went to JHU or Emory, both excellent schools, and every single place that she applied to!

It is very hard to understand why BU treated her so poorly, and it kinda seemed intentional, as obviously if the school acted that rude to every applicant they'd have an even bigger of a problem of filling up the class than they already have.

This isn't an N=1 anecdotal type of observation either as I've had friends who have had very strange issues with BU during the admissions process, one of whom was a Peace Corps volunteer as well, so I'd have to conclude that BU is not very friendly at all towards Peace Corps volunteers, and/or those with good applications that might suggest that they'd go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Not really, I think that she went to JHU or Emory, both excellent schools, and every single place that she applied to!

It is very hard to understand why BU treated her so poorly, and it kinda seemed intentional, as obviously if the school acted that rude to every applicant they'd have an even bigger of a problem of filling up the class than they already have.

This isn't an N=1 anecdotal type of observation either as I've had friends who have had very strange issues with BU during the admissions process, one of whom was a Peace Corps volunteer as well, so I'd have to conclude that BU is not very friendly at all towards Peace Corps volunteers, and/or those with good applications that might suggest that they'd go elsewhere.

I had two friends who were RPCVs when I was a MPH student at BU, and I can tell you, BU is a very friendly place for any student, and especially RPCVs to attend. The school also has a strong focus on international health which may also be very appealing to RPCVs.

None of us know the reason for the supplementary information requests, but perhaps these is some trigger for it. We can speculate, but to chide a school for that and attack it is uncalled for unless there are facts (not anecdotal) to back up those remarks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one was put on the wait list at BU, do they want us to write an additional essay? Seems I remember this being part of the BU application process, normally like to take the initiative, but not sure. Maybe they changed this?