BU additional information requested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you, ebp, i agree in a more general sense as well. BU is asking for 2 paragraphs. is that annoying? of course, but it is 2 paragraphs and their request doesn't seem outrageous. it also seems like they might have reworded their request after people complained (based on the two examples posted here).

in the end, there are more students who want to go there than are slots and like any school, students are at their mercy until they decide who to accept. that is true of any school. my experience with admissions is there are 4 piles when applications come in:

1. definetely accepted
2. definetely not accepted
3. look good but a lot of people look good...how do we differentiate between these people
4. look interesting, add diversity (in terms of life experience) but might not have perfect stats, scores, etc. so these people will be sprinkled in depending on the available slots and likelihood for potential success

Unfortunately, they weren't prepared for pile 3 this year which negatively affected them and the applicants. Yet, everyone who applied there at one point in time wanted to attend.

I didn't apply to BU and I actually don't even know that much about BU, but if one of the 3 schools I applied to sent me that email, I would have gladly sent it in becasue I know how tough the competition is.

Anyway, I also feel bad that this thread has turned into this--although, I realize I am participating in this by writing about this topic :). Ultimately, we all want support and constructive feed back about schools, and this has seemed to turn into a BU bash.

Members don't see this ad.

Good points Jaya and epb...as the peace corps volunteer they were "nasty" to I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I've said it several times that I think BU is an awesome school and will make a great home for many students next year, my experience was just bad. I just want to say that I didn't/don't intend to be "hating" on BU, I think anyone who is accepted who feels a connection with the school or who were treated fairly (and writing the paragraph can fall into that category, my experience just included many other things I didn't post here, so you can't judge your experience by mine - for some people though, it was not necessary to ask them for the paragraph) should definitely consider BU just like they should consider any other school.

What I intended to provide was factual information like constructive criticism that people might want to consider, but it may have snowballed into something else (I actually didn't think my email was as funny as others found it, haha). I apologize for any hand I had in that! However, the email I sent and the experience I had were fact and are there for people to consider. I think if you have something negative to say that's fine. I would want to hear factual things (good or bad) about any school I want to attend because it could help me make a more informed decision, however it becomes out of hand when it gets out of the realm of constructive information and into bashing. People's experience with the application process is fact and should be on here for others to consider though, so I think those posts are relevant and appropriate.

Last edited:
My original post was not to garner some sort of hatred for BU. I wanted to know if a) other people received this email yesterday and b) express the constructive criticism that their email is an absurd request. A couple paragraphs is not long, it's something that can be done in a few minutes really. However, the information they are looking for can be found in my personal statement... it's kind of the purpose of writing a personal statement. Why bother asking for it again? The school itself has admitted that they have been incredibly slow this year with admissions decisions, does this not slow down the process even more?

I'm thinking this is a way to see who really wants to go there versus those who were just so-so about BU, which is fine and within their right as a school. I can withdraw my application and open up a spot for someone who believes that BU is the best fit for them. However, I hate feeling like I am part of some sort of game. This is not how I wished to be treated as an applicant: just give me a yes or no answer.

That all being said, I am allowed to critique the school as an applicant. In fact, it's my obligation to critique each and every one of my potential schools because this is a huge investment of both my time and money. I thoroughly believe that the treatment you get as an applicant provides some foreshadowing as to how you will be treated as a student. Regardless of what school is the topic of discussion, it's something that factors into my decision of what school is for right for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sealfan's "letter to BU" is rather absurd.

I felt most members' dissatisfaction with BU was well-justified and appropriately conveyed. ReproHlthPlz conveyed this sentiment very nicely in the post above.

Last edited:
. . . I think anyone who is accepted who feels a connection with the school or who were treated fairly (and writing the paragraph can fall into that category, my experience just included many other things I didn't post here, so you can't judge your experience by mine - for some people though, it was not necessary to ask them for the paragraph) should definitely consider BU just like they should consider any other school.

People's experience with the application process is fact and should be on here for others to consider though, so I think those posts are relevant and appropriate.

That is a good point.

I didn't mean to "bash" BU with my hypothetical response to their query for more information, . . . I had hoped it was comedic and you need to laugh to make it through the process that is applying for an MPH. (I didn't actually send this email, obviously!)

I think that hearing other stories about the application process actually helps BU, some people were/are a little perturbed about getting an email for a essay for more information . . . and then we watched that request morph into something a bit more palatable (understandable), a request for a couple paragraphs.

I think it is just that applicants might feel taken advantage of as the essay in SOPHAS is the place to outline career goals, . . . BU wants something much more personal, a statement about your personality in relation to their school, and why you would make a "teriffic" student at their school.

I can't help but think that it is just a cheap way (emails are free to send right?) to whittle down who they will offer an acceptance to, and not necessarily who is most motivated to get an MPH. What if every school acted this way?, it would be a confusing mess! It gives the appearance of sorting of wasting applicants time, but also playing an odd type of emotional game.

Does Hopkins send an email to applicants asking them to describe how their personality will provide diversity at the school or asking what makes them "tick" at this late stage in the game? It still feels like BU is trying to game the system somehow by prodding their applicants for this info, doesn't BU accept about half of their applicants anyway!?!

Sorry if I offended anybody with my make believe response to them, I would have though it was obviously not a real response somebody sent in.:confused:

Not going to get into this huge debate about BU, however on a lighter note...when I did read that email about what makes me "tick" I honestly thought it was spam. I checked the address and signature a couple times to be sure it was real.

Whether or not you agree with BU's approach or if you like the school, hate it, whatever...I think we can all agree that's kind of a weird thing to ask...

Not going to get into this huge debate about BU, however on a lighter note...when I did read that email about what makes me "tick" I honestly thought it was spam. I checked the address and signature a couple times to be sure it was real.

Whether or not you agree with BU's approach or if you like the school, hate it, whatever...I think we can all agree that's kind of a weird thing to ask...

When I first heard about this email request I thought that it was a prank . . .

Sealfan, I actually thought your make believe response was very funny.

I really wasn't trying to target any particular response or person with my statement or nor was I trying to discount anyone's individual experience. From an outside view, I was saying it didn't seem like that bad of a request, and my opinion is that there seemed to be a bit more negativity than just feedback and constructive criticism. That is all!

Hi HamiltonBlazer,

Could you please tell us why you are not considering BU's MPH in Global Health? BU was my first choice when I first thought about pursuing an MPH program in International Health (I'm particularly interested in Latin America) and now I'm kind of underwhelmed...:confused: I met some students and spoke with someone in admissions and I get the feeling that they don't really care about the applicants. Now I'm considering GWU and NYU. What about you?

Last edited:
So, after I saw this I was also curious why I hadn't gotten a response, I went back through my emails and saw that it had saved in my drafts and not sent. I re-sent it and waited a response before posting on here.

I won't comment as to how I felt about the email response I received from BU as comments were made in the email referencing posts on this forum.

I would like to let everyone know something that I had left out before but I suppose is relevant, prior to the application process beginning (back in September '10) I emailed two people at BU. I had positive interactions with both of them prior to the start of the application process. It was only after I submitted my application that I began to have negative experiences. Still, those initial positive interactions did not offset the negative in the rest of the process and does not change or discredit anything I have said in my posts here as I was talking about my holistic experience with the application process. I suppose that I could/should have emailed and informed someone about the negative experience I was having along the way, but I didn't think I should have to.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my experiences were my own and shouldn't make anyone who is serious about BU/feels a connection with BU rethink their decision. They are only meant as venting (as a lot of people do on this forum) and to make me feel better by commiserating with others who have had similar experiences. They are not meant to bash BU.

This will be my last comment about BU on this forum, if anyone has any question about my experience feel free to PM me.

Good luck everyone!!

Does anybody know if BU is done asking for supplemental essays this year? I was considering them, but not getting asked for it makes me worried:oops:

It seems like maybe BU tries to sweet talk people into applying during the application process, and then when they get your application they "own" you and you're at their mercy and of that of their long application process?

Unlike most of you, I did not get the request for more information. Instead, I got a letter stating that I have been placed on the waiting list( Boston is not looking so good for me as I was also waitlisted for Harvard). Personally, it is still a top choice for me. I encourage all that desire to withdraw as a result of this "request" (especially those that applied to the epi concentration) to do so promptly so that I can take your seat. :)

I agree with awapi, if you get a good vibe from BU then that's awesome. Its a good program and boston is a great city. However, to anyone that is seriously considering it I strongly urge you to go visit before you decide to go there. Through this process I have met a lot of people who have gone to visit and most have been extremely underwhelmed. I had the same reaction even though my admissions process with them went smoothly (not a single chicken). I also agree with awapi on something else. Emory! I will be going there in fall for HPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because everyone on this forum seems so disenchanted by BU, I wanted to say that I visited this past weekend and I was very impressed. I haven't made my decision yet, but I really liked what BU had to offer so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

(Also, for those who didn't read the whole 3 pages on this thread, I was one of those asked for additional info on Feb 14 when they were asking for an essay and I was accepted about 2 weeks after I submitted it).

Epi2013,
I was starting to think I was the only person left who had a positive experience with BU. Although, I'm sorry to hear that so many people had difficulties. It does sound frustrating. I did the essay right away so I heard back less than a week after submitting it which was about 4 weeks after I applied, so I can't complain. The dean wrote a note as well which I think you said, too (nothing earth shattering but at least she actually read it). I think it took me longer to write those 2 paragraphs than my entire personal statement. Ahhh, the hoops we jump through.

Can you share your experiences about your visit? I will be visiting soon!

Also, what other schools are you considering and how did your visit to those schools compare to BU?
Thank you!

I visited BU last Friday which was also my first trip to Boston. I really like the neighborhood the campus is in. It seems residential with many beautiful older buildings, but there also seem to be a lot of nice restaurants and other things to do around there.

In addition to the location, the person who showed me around was very helpful and made me feel very comfortable. The professor I spoke with also did her best to make me feel at home.

I really liked the variety of classes that are available. You can have 2 concentrations if you want or even create your own subconcentration sort of (I want to do Global ID Epi and there's and ID track but they would allow me to create a mini Global one). Something else that is a draw for me is the idea of getting done in 3 semesters which they seem to favor. I wanted to make sure my education wouldn't suffer from this so they were very helpful in addressing that concern.

Moneywise it is very expensive, but I like that tuition is a set rate so I don't have to be as strategic with choosing classes. I'm interested in continuing language classes and that isn't as much of a priority if tuition is per credit hour.

Besides BU, I have visited GW and am going to visit Tulane on Saturday. I've also had a positive experience with GW, but BU made me feel much more comfortable so I think I'm currently favoring it despite having to give up the work opportunities in DC.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'm glad someone else still likes BU. Don't forget to post your thoughts after your visit! :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That is very helpful. I like the diversity of classes as well. I can't wait to visit. I'll be curious to hear about your Tulane visit. I just returned from New Orleans. I will be in Boston next week (my first trip to Boston as well!) We will have to confer afterwards :)

Sounds good! What did you think of New Orleans? I've never been there before either.

I visited BU last Friday which was also my first trip to Boston. I really like the neighborhood the campus is in. It seems residential with many beautiful older buildings, but there also seem to be a lot of nice restaurants and other things to do around there.

In addition to the location, the person who showed me around was very helpful and made me feel very comfortable. The professor I spoke with also did her best to make me feel at home.

I really liked the variety of classes that are available. You can have 2 concentrations if you want or even create your own subconcentration sort of (I want to do Global ID Epi and there's and ID track but they would allow me to create a mini Global one). Something else that is a draw for me is the idea of getting done in 3 semesters which they seem to favor. I wanted to make sure my education wouldn't suffer from this so they were very helpful in addressing that concern.

Moneywise it is very expensive, but I like that tuition is a set rate so I don't have to be as strategic with choosing classes. I'm interested in continuing language classes and that isn't as much of a priority if tuition is per credit hour.

Besides BU, I have visited GW and am going to visit Tulane on Saturday. I've also had a positive experience with GW, but BU made me feel much more comfortable so I think I'm currently favoring it despite having to give up the work opportunities in DC.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'm glad someone else still likes BU. Don't forget to post your thoughts after your visit! :)

I visited BU 2 weeks ago and had the same treatment. I arranged a last-minute meeting with the admissions office and Jonathon Cote was extremely helpful and tried his best to arrange meetings for me with a person in my concentration area and also the professor that I was interested in doing work with. I found that the best way was to stay in contact with the admissions office. I was surprised that he stilled remembered me two weeks later after my visited when I had emailed him about my application status. I was lucky enough to not have a bad experience with BU.

Unlike most of you, I did not get the request for more information. Instead, I got a letter stating that I have been placed on the waiting list( Boston is not looking so good for me as I was also waitlisted for Harvard). Personally, it is still a top choice for me. I encourage all that desire to withdraw as a result of this "request" (especially those that applied to the epi concentration) to do so promptly so that I can take your seat. :)

I was waitlisted as well. Have you heard anything since? Here's to hoping, JP528 :xf:

I also got one of those emails from BU asking for more information. In mine they asked for more information about why I would make a good member of the BU community. I agree that they probably send these to people who they sense are considering BU as a backup option. And whoever said that this helps inflate their acceptance rate, you're probably right. As I'd already gotten into other schools by then, it wasn't of much concern to me.

What I did was send a short and polite email that said something along the lines of, "Thank you for your email. However, I am no longer interested in being considered for admission at BU." I got a letter stating that they'd withdrawn my application the same day.

That's all that they need. I don't think it's necessary to write any more than that or to berate the people in the Admissions Office. Believe me, in this field, word gets around about nightmare applicants or interviewees. It's really not worth risking my professional reputation by sending an angry or overblown email to Admissions staff.

I also got one of those emails from BU asking for more information. In mine they asked for more information about why I would make a good member of the BU community. I agree that they probably send these to people who they sense are considering BU as a backup option. And whoever said that this helps inflate their acceptance rate, you're probably right. As I'd already gotten into other schools by then, it wasn't of much concern to me.

What I did was send a short and polite email that said something along the lines of, "Thank you for your email. However, I am no longer interested in being considered for admission at BU." I got a letter stating that they'd withdrawn my application the same day.

That's all that they need. I don't think it's necessary to write any more than that or to berate the people in the Admissions Office. Believe me, in this field, word gets around about nightmare applicants or interviewees. It's really not worth risking my professional reputation by sending an angry or overblown email to Admissions staff.

Agreed. It is probably a good idea to simply withdrawl your application, though I think that the poster in this thread (Awapi) who sent a more detailed explanation why BU wouldn't be a good fit was specifically upset about stuff that occurred outside of just the request for additional information, which I think broke the camel's back in her case. She didn't elaborate on that per se, just referred to a sum total of negative experiences which outweighed the positive.

But it is probably a good idea just to comisserate here on the boards with folks who have had a bad application experience at a school, than to identify yourself by writing an overblown email to BU, though you would think that privacy laws would keep BU from discussing an applicant whom withdrew from their school. Especially considering that she got into Emory which is a better school by miles.

I do respect her for speaking her mind and didn't think her email was overblown, for what its worth.

Last edited:
thank you, ebp, i agree in a more general sense as well. BU is asking for 2 paragraphs. is that annoying? of course, but it is 2 paragraphs and their request doesn't seem outrageous. it also seems like they might have reworded their request after people complained (based on the two examples posted here).

in the end, there are more students who want to go there than are slots and like any school, students are at their mercy until they decide who to accept. that is true of any school. my experience with admissions is there are 4 piles when applications come in:

1. definetely accepted
2. definetely not accepted
3. look good but a lot of people look good...how do we differentiate between these people
4. look interesting, add diversity (in terms of life experience) but might not have perfect stats, scores, etc. so these people will be sprinkled in depending on the available slots and likelihood for potential success

Unfortunately, they weren't prepared for pile 3 this year which negatively affected them and the applicants. Yet, everyone who applied there at one point in time wanted to attend.

I didn't apply to BU and I actually don't even know that much about BU, but if one of the 3 schools I applied to sent me that email, I would have gladly sent it in becasue I know how tough the competition is.

Anyway, I also feel bad that this thread has turned into this--although, I realize I am participating in this by writing about this topic :). Ultimately, we all want support and constructive feed back about schools, and this has seemed to turn into a BU bash.

>> "Ultimately, we all want support and constructive feed back about schools"

Could not agree more. Unclear on what caused such bitterness but am sorry to hear how upset people have gotten. I did not receive that request from BU but was accepted, offered a scholarship and am going. And, I applied and was accepted to what others are referring to as "better" programs. It's okay to be frustrated, but let's all recognize that each program stands because it is, at least, good. Your education will be what you make of it and (as someone said earlier) not every school is for every person, just as not every person is for every other.

I had a couple of very negative experiences with some of the schools I was accepted to but it certainly wouldn't cross my mind to banter on about it online. In fact, some of the reasons and anger being cited to explain why this request for additional information is absurd could very well be why BU requested it? :confused: I, too, was asked to give supplemental information regarding my intentions by some "better" and "worse" programs (yet not BU) and was not at all offended by it.

I actually have to say that makes me feel better about my decision to attend BU. It's important to know they paid a great deal of attention to applicants and worked diligently to accept and comprise a student body they see as best fit.

I hope you all find a suitable home with a wonderful program- and I am sure you all will since we are truly discussing the best programs in the country.

Congratulations, everyone and good luck deciding! Hope the bitterness has subsided.

>> "Ultimately, we all want support and constructive feed back about schools"

Could not agree more. Unclear on what caused such bitterness but am sorry to hear how upset people have gotten. I did not receive that request from BU but was accepted, offered a scholarship and am going. And, I applied and was accepted to what others are referring to as "better" programs. It's okay to be frustrated, but let's all recognize that each program stands because it is, at least, good. Your education will be what you make of it and (as someone said earlier) not every school is for every person, just as not every person is for every other.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there hasn't been any first-hand "bitterness" posted about BU in a really long time - almost a month ago! - there just aren't many posts so they haven't gotten buried yet. It just keeps getting brought up over and over again mostly by people with positive experiences or who have chosen to go there. Let's just let it lie guys! Obviously BU is a great school and just a few people had bad experiences, just focus on the good things people have to say and take the other people's poor experiences with a grain of salt! You made a great choice and I'm sure you'll receive a great education at BU!!

This is not at you specifically, whatofit, I just quoted you because you were the most recent :)

Let's all stop beating a dead horse about this - :beat: - can you believe they have this emoticon? Haha!

I emailed BU asking why I had not heard anything from them in 10 weeks, and they apologized and said that they receive more applications than any other school on SOPHAS. Here was their response:Thank you for your email and continued interest in BUSPH. At this time we do not have a final decision for you. All I can offer is my apologies for giving you an estimate of time that was not accurate. For better or for worse, we are the school receiving the most number of applications through SOPHAS. We are working as fast as we can to deliver final decisions while still adhering to our holistic admissions review process. We will not sacrifice a full and fair review for any applicant in order to expedite decisions. We hope to have a decision for you soon. Thank you for your patience.

I have a friend who got a similar email from BU, asserting the most number of applications for schools on SOPHAS. However, according to the 2010 report on asph.org, BU actually received the third highest number of applications on SOPHAS at 2,609, both Emory (2,745) and John Hopkins (3,329) had more total applications on SOPHAS. It looks like BU only counted the MPH, because Emory has an MSPH program as well, or in other words, looks like BU cherry picked the data.

Go JHU!

Last edited:
i also got an e-mail from bu, but the content is a bit different. the e-mail said to keep it short and simple, so i replied back with 2 - 3 sentences. :cool:

February 13, 2012

Dear [Applicant]:

We recently received your application to the MPH program at Boston University and wanted to get back to you immediately. We are in the midst of reviewing a record number of applications and like what we see in you. MPH programs differ – their curriculum and content, faculty, the opportunities to be found at each institution – and each offers a unique experience. And because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication.

Please tell us what you think you can add to our tight-knit community of students and alumni. We’re not looking for a specific answer here; we’d just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you.

Please reply directly to this email and keep it short and simple.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

i also got an e-mail from bu, but the content is a bit different. the e-mail said to keep it short and simple, so i replied back with 2 - 3 sentences. :cool:

February 13, 2012

Dear [Applicant]:

We recently received your application to the MPH program at Boston University and wanted to get back to you immediately. We are in the midst of reviewing a record number of applications and like what we see in you. MPH programs differ – their curriculum and content, faculty, the opportunities to be found at each institution – and each offers a unique experience. And because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication.

Please tell us what you think you can add to our tight-knit community of students and alumni. We're not looking for a specific answer here; we'd just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you.

Please reply directly to this email and keep it short and simple.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

My observations:

1. As the number of MPH applications seems to go steadily up each year, most schools are receiving a "record" number of applications. The email makes it sound like one of those commercials where they say, "Only available while supplies last." Kind of builds suspense without specifics. While yes, absolute number of applicants have gone up, schools are also admitting a lot more students.

2. There is a small piece of circular logic when they state, ". . . because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication." I would assume that the "rigorous selection process" is in place as a means by which the school can supposedly select students that will add to the "culture of challenge and dedication."

3. They're "not looking for a specific answer" meaning they probably just want to see if you already bailed on them, and if you have a pulse. I guess this is why they want it "short and simple". Just out of curiosity, what if I write a response that is "short and complex." ?? hehehe . . . again, seems like they checking for pulses.

4. "MPH programs differ – their curriculum and content, faculty, the opportunities to be found at each institution – and each offers a unique experience." A pretty general statement, which I guess you technically can't argue with . . . strangely they don't explain what their schools offers that is better. Sort of, "We know that you have a choice of airlines and we're happy, and financially pleased, that you decided to fly with Coconut Island Airways ."

5. "we'd just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you." Kinda creepy when they use an acronym to refer to themselves in the third person.

Last edited:
I received the same e-mail recently, but what REALLY bugged me was this is the SECOND additional essay they have asked me to write (they sent me a few weeks ago asking to write more about why I wanted to go into public health) and now this... and that REALLY annoyed me.... I wrote a paragraph although I have already been accepted at other schools I would prefer to go to more than BU (and writing two additional essays really left a bad impression when school's that are ranked higher have already accepted me without any such request)

I think people tend to look at additional prompts/questions in the wrong light. I will be the first to admit I hate writing extra responses as much as the next person. This doesn't change the fact that people should think of additional essays/responses as great opportunities to give extra information that others are not able to give. Additionally, from the schools perspective what better way to find out if a person actually wants to come here than to ask them to spend more time and write more. Those who are genuinely interested in applying to the school will take the time to get over this "wall." Those who aren't willing to spend the extra time should re-evaluate if they even want to go to the school. Schools want you just as much as you want them. BU specifically tends to get a lot of back up school grief. By adding this additional task I believe they are trying to feel out those who actually want to attend their school from those hoping for another common app admit where they checked the BU box in addition to the 3-7 other schools. I do feel your grief shayy, twice might be pushing it...

I think people tend to look at additional prompts/questions in the wrong light. I will be the first to admit I hate writing extra responses as much as the next person. This doesn't change the fact that people should think of additional essays/responses as great opportunities to give extra information that others are not able to give. Additionally, from the schools perspective what better way to find out if a person actually wants to come here than to ask them to spend more time and write more. Those who are genuinely interested in applying to the school will take the time to get over this "wall." Those who aren't willing to spend the extra time should re-evaluate if they even want to go to the school. Schools want you just as much as you want them. BU specifically tends to get a lot of back up school grief. By adding this additional task I believe they are trying to feel out those who actually want to attend their school from those hoping for another common app admit where they checked the BU box in addition to the 3-7 other schools. I do feel your grief shayy, twice might be pushing it...

Here's some problems I see with this "shot-gun" approach via multiple requests for more information:

1. As in the case of Shayy, some applicants will complete the additional requests for info, even if they have already been accepted to more desirable schools on their list.

2. Some students who would be interested in the school and might go there would be turned off. For example, a lot of prospective students might know, in general, about the school, but be turned off by a negative first impression. The applicant who is 100% gung-ho on BU might not exist, meaning that the school will have to win over converts by doing things right, starting with having an application process which respects the applicant. If the school doesn't care about making the application process straightforward and easy, without wasting people's time, then they might also not be helpful with other student needs post-admittance.

3. It makes the school look lazy. Obviously, this is a great way to save time, you annoy applicants so that the waitlist shrinks, hoping that the students who you decide to bless with an acceptance will go to the school. Doesn't seem to be working though as maybe only 1/4 or 1/3 accepted to BU end up there.

4. It makes the application process look incoherent. Why ask a person a second time about their career goals regarding public health?? There is a reason SOPHAS was invented, it standardized the application process, BU adds on an additional layer, asking some applicants for additional info, but not others I guess.

BU shouldn't be overly offended by back up school grief, though I could see why they might have Harvard envy, plus feel crowded out by the other public health schools in Boston.

Last edited:
. . . This doesn't change the fact that people should think of additional essays/responses as great opportunities to give extra information that others are not able to give. . .

As Shayy obviously will decide not to go to BU, I wonder if there are applicants who want to pour out their heart describing why they love BU but for one reason or another weren't asked?

I've heard plenty of people say they love the program at BU.

H20Propre -- all of your posts on this forum are anti-BU and none provide any info about yourself. Why are you out to convince people that BU is so terrible? So they ask a few applicants to submit supplemental essays; perhaps these people would otherwise just receive rejections. What's so wrong with giving people a second chance to convince the adcoms that they really are a good fit for the school? I'd much rather have to write another brief essay than get a rejection . . . none of this will matter once we end up in programs that are a good fit for each of us.

Personally, I think if an applicant isn't willing to spend an hour writing a brief response when requested, they shouldn't be admitted anyway. Have any of you applied to jobs in the last few years? This is nothing compared to the circus that potential employers might put you through.

I agree with echo. This is just one of many hoops you will jump through in your MPH endeavor. While I don't attend BU, I've found just as many hoops in my program. Internships, internship funding, financial aid, scholarships, taking classes out side of the SPH...being involved in certain classes. It is what it is and it sounds like people feel entitled to be accepted to BUSPH. Why would they want those students? Not every school is a good fit for every applicant. I don't know how much people realize that when they apply to different programs. I feel like I learned more about it since I've started school and realized my program isn't a great fit for what I want to do (but that doesn't discredit the program). If BUSPH has received feedback from its current cohorts that it isn't what they wanted, they seem to be making a strategic decision to try to better align what they offer and who attends. They are doing applicants a favor by making sure you aren't wasting your time and money. Of course, they don't want unhappy students either because that means they don't have as much alumni support that translates into dollars. It doesn't seem like BUSPH is hurting for students, so clearly they are doing something right.

I'm a bit surprised by this negativity regarding BU as well. My previous impressions on BU is that it stands on its own as a solid MPH program - not the best but a damn good one. Everyone who is familiar with the MPH program at BU tells me that BU prides itself on public health practice and is the alternative to Harvard in terms of strong research endeavors. Since arriving in Boston a year ago, when I tell people I am applying to MPH grad programs in the area, they usually ask "Harvard? Or BU?" So I'm not sure if BU has "Harvard envy" - it appears to me that they are happily doing their own thing.

Actually, I feel a bit bad for Tufts, since I've never heard much about their program at all. The only reason why I found out about Tufts' program was because I work there! But I think Tufts program is much smaller than most programs, and it is in conjunction with the School of Medicine there. It's not a bad program either, but it strikes me as being more Harvard-esque (research, clinical, medical, and academic practice), but your mileage may vary on that one ;) Oh, and actually, it is the perfect choice if you want to concentrate solely on nutrition!

I haven't heard from BU yet, so this thread worries me a bit in terms of getting that email in my Inbox! For those who wrote an email back, what did you say regarding your interest in the program? BU is my top choice, but I refrained from going overly gushy in my essay. I didn't want to come across as desperate so I wrote it in a more professional tone. However, I'm wondering if I receive this email if I should get a bit more starry-eyed for them? :love:

Last edited:
I agree with echo. This is just one of many hoops you will jump through in your MPH endeavor. While I don't attend BU, I've found just as many hoops in my program. Internships, internship funding, financial aid, scholarships, taking classes out side of the SPH...being involved in certain classes. It is what it is and it sounds like people feel entitled to be accepted to BUSPH. Why would they want those students? Not every school is a good fit for every applicant. I don't know how much people realize that when they apply to different programs. I feel like I learned more about it since I've started school and realized my program isn't a great fit for what I want to do (but that doesn't discredit the program). If BUSPH has received feedback from its current cohorts that it isn't what they wanted, they seem to be making a strategic decision to try to better align what they offer and who attends. They are doing applicants a favor by making sure you aren't wasting your time and money. Of course, they don't want unhappy students either because that means they don't have as much alumni support that translates into dollars. It doesn't seem like BUSPH is hurting for students, so clearly they are doing something right.

I can't claim any personal experience with BUSPH, but I did have a friend with a stellar app who really felt that she was unnecessarily put through the ringer by BU. Rather than just evaluating an application based on its merit, I do think that BU targets the "cheerleader" type applicant who, I guess as you stated, would be more likely to give to the endowment fund.

Actually, I feel a bit bad for Tufts, since I've never heard much about their program at all. The only reason why I found out about Tufts' program was because I work there! But I think Tufts program is much smaller than most programs, and it is in conjunction with the School of Medicine there. It's not a bad program either, but it strikes me as being more Harvard-esque (research, clinical, medical, and academic practice), but your mileage may vary on that one ;) Oh, and actually, it is the perfect choice if you want to concentrate solely on nutrition!

I haven't heard from BU yet, so this thread worries me a bit in terms of getting that email in my Inbox! For those who wrote an email back, what did you say regarding your interest in the program? BU is my top choice, but I refrained from going overly gushy in my essay. I didn't want to come across as desperate so I wrote it in a more professional tone. However, I'm wondering if I receive this email if I should get a bit more starry-eyed for them? :love:

For whatever reason, I think that the school needs to see the 'gush love letters', a lot more than other schools, most of which don't require it. However, admitting students with unrealistic expectations, or who wrote a phony love letter, could produce its own set of problems.

For whatever reason, I think that the school needs to see the 'gush love letters', a lot more than other schools, most of which don't require it. However, admitting students with unrealistic expectations, or who wrote a phony love letter, could produce its own set of problems.

Hi H20, thank you for your reply! I commute through BU everyday on my way to work, and for the past year and a half, I've been saying to myself "I'm going to attend classes here someday!" I didn't think that would be appropriate to write in my essay though - I believe there's a fine line between enthusiasm for a school and "kissing ass" :cool: However, if I did receive this email from them, I would be sure to mention that BU is my top choice, and I am anxiously awaiting their reply as I'm currently holding off on responding to my second choice (Tufts). Although I would make the most of my time at Tufts, I'd be pretty devestated at missing out on all the practice and student opportunities BU offers.

Here's hoping for a (good) response soon!:xf:

Last edited:
Hi H20, thank you for your reply! I commute through BU everyday on my way to work, and for the past year and a half, I've been saying to myself "I'm going to attend classes here someday!" I didn't think that would be appropriate to write in my essay though - I believe there's a fine line between enthusiasm for a school and "kissing ass" :cool: However, if I did receive this email from them, I would be sure to mention that BU is my top choice, and I am anxiously awaiting their reply as I'm currently holding off on responding to my second choice (Tufts). Although I would make the most of my time at Tufts, I'd be pretty devestated at missing out on all the practice and student opportunities BU offers.

Here's hoping for a (good) response soon!:xf:

Wow, it was semi-sad reading this post, hope it works out. If I were you, I would consider write a letter to BU telling them that how you feel about their program, and that it is your top choice. Nothing wrong with doing that, IMHO, and it shows that you are interested in the school. Though I guess in theory if it was too pushy then it would be a turn-off.

Honestly, I think that because of your application, which is more than solid, at least as far as I can see, BU might (wrongly in your case) assume that you would go elsewhere.

Remember, a master's program is what you make of it. A motivated student at Tufts could uncover a world of opportunities, while an uninformed student at BU could have a lukewarm experience. The most important part of a school is the students, great students who are motivated make a great atmosphere, I guess this is why the most motivated apply to the top ten.

Last edited:
If you think you have a solid application, then by all means you should apply to each school with the intention of getting in. So far I am 4-for-4 out of 8 applications, including BU without any secondaries (my profile is somewhere in the Applied/Accepted), and that is because I think not only my decent stats, but also because I made each school feel special/wanted. Yes, that is being a "cheerleader" to some extent as H2OPrope states, but that is also playing the "application game" as best as I can. Coming from a small-name Southern liberal arts college, with decent GRE scores, and unsure about my chances at each school, I feel I was forced to put my best face forward in each instance. Sure, I used a template system for my essays, where I changed a few words that would make each school feel like I knew what I was doing, but that also meant researching their characteristics and finding their strengths. I hope other applicants feel the same way, and I certainly feel reinforced by the results of the app process thus far.

Wow, it was semi-sad reading this post, hope it works out. If I were you, I would consider write a letter to BU telling them that how you feel about their program, and that it is your top choice. Nothing wrong with doing that, IMHO, and it shows that you are interested in the school. Though I guess in theory if it was too pushy then it would be a turn-off.

Honestly, I think that because of your application, which is more than solid, at least as far as I can see, BU might (wrongly in your case) assume that you would go elsewhere.

Remember, a master's program is what you make of it. A motivated student at Tufts could uncover a world of opportunities, while an uninformed student at BU could have a lukewarm experience. The most important part of a school is the students, great students who are motivated make a great atmosphere, I guess this is why the most motivated apply to the top ten.

I am planning to write an email in the next couple weeks if I don't hear anything from them soon. On Wednesday, it will be 3 weeks from when they processed my application - They said it would take 4 weeks for me to hear a response, so if it goes into the 5-week mark, I will certainly send them an email re-stating my interest in the program.

I have been told a couple of times now that BU might overlook me based on my entire profile, which seriously worries and surprises me. I would think that they accept applicants based on merit and their overall application package - if they have students who ultimately accept other MPH programs, then they should tap into their waitlist (which, I thought was the reason for having a waitlist to begin with!)

I'm sure I would make the best of my Tufts experience, and I would find ways to get involved both on-campus and off-campus, so I think I would shake off my BU devastationfairly quickly :) I'm really passionate about the field, and I know there are plenty of opportunities in the Boston area to get involved in, so I don't think it will be an issue. Also, I've been through far worse in my life to not give up so easily!

Jeez, BU, I love ya but you sure are playing hard to get! :p

Last edited:
If you think you have a solid application, then by all means you should apply to each school with the intention of getting in. So far I am 4-for-4 out of 8 applications, including BU without any secondaries (my profile is somewhere in the Applied/Accepted), and that is because I think not only my decent stats, but also because I made each school feel special/wanted. Yes, that is being a "cheerleader" to some extent as H2OPrope states, but that is also playing the "application game" as best as I can. Coming from a small-name Southern liberal arts college, with decent GRE scores, and unsure about my chances at each school, I feel I was forced to put my best face forward in each instance. Sure, I used a template system for my essays, where I changed a few words that would make each school feel like I knew what I was doing, but that also meant researching their characteristics and finding their strengths. I hope other applicants feel the same way, and I certainly feel reinforced by the results of the app process thus far.

That is all very true, thanks for your insights! I also kept my essay relatively the same, but I changed certain aspects of it to reflect the school's program and what I liked best about them.

Good luck with your applications! I hope you get into the school you want most :D

Last edited:
... I made each school feel special/wanted... Sure, I used a template system for my essays, where I changed a few words that would make each school feel like I knew what I was doing, but that also meant researching their characteristics and finding their strengths.

That (customizing the essay for each school) is what I did as well, and I find it surprising that it seems like so many applicants on here did not. It give you the chance to show the school that you did your research and made sure the school was a good match for your interests.

i guess my "short" reply of 2 - 3 sentences worked. got my acceptance letter from BU today. seems like they give out merit awards to everyone though.

i guess my "short" reply of 2 - 3 sentences worked. got my acceptance letter from BU today. seems like they give out merit awards to everyone though.

Congratulations, Roger! :thumbup: What concentration did you apply to? And do you mind me asking when SOPHAS mailed your application to them? I'm still waiting to hear back from BU (SOPHAS mailed it 1/24)! :p

Congratulations, Roger! :thumbup: What concentration did you apply to? And do you mind me asking when SOPHAS mailed your application to them? I'm still waiting to hear back from BU (SOPHAS mailed it 1/24)! :p

Thanks, Kalla! I applied to the Environmental Health focus. I submitted my application to SOPHAS on November 30, 2011. It was mailed to BU in late December, 2011 I believe. However, my application wasn't complete at that time because I was scheduled to take the GRE on January 7, 2012. I received an email from BU stating my application was complete on January 26, 2012.

Hope you hear from BU soon. I believe that is your top choice, right? Good luck!

Thanks, Kalla! I applied to the Environmental Health focus. I submitted my application to SOPHAS on November 30, 2011. It was mailed to BU in late December, 2011 I believe. However, my application wasn't complete at that time because I was scheduled to take the GRE on January 7, 2012. I received an email from BU stating my application was complete on January 26, 2012.

Hope you hear from BU soon. I believe that is your top choice, right? Good luck!

Oh cool! I applied to the Social and Behavioral Sciences track - BU processed my application on February 1st. It seems though that the different concentrations of schools in general notify their decisions on different timelines? So I'm not sure now when I should expect to hear back.

It is my top choice - thanks for the well wishes! :cool: Here's hoping for BU's Class of 2014!

Bump.

Want to see if for the third year running BU goes with the "love letter" tactic.

They did. I responded promptly with the supplemental essay because it is silly to apply to a school, pay the fee to do so, and then give up on it because you feel too uppity to write a short essay.

That being said, I'd rather not be contacted for essays so late in the process. It seems a bit silly and redundant. Sucks for the peace corps girl though

Last edited:
From what everyone has said so far it seems that BU's "supplemental information" is a we like you, do you like us? request. Does that mean if I got one and answered coherently that I'm pretty much in? Its not my top choice and I've gotten into others that I'd probably rank higher on my list (especially since they're taking so damn long now to get back to me..) but I'd still like to at least know if its on the table....