BSW & Masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding BSW exam. I have BSW from Puerto Rico. I moved to MA and quickly began studying for a Masters in Psychology. I graduate in June and my alma mater just became accredited with the CSWE. I want to take my exam; however it will have to be after I graduate. Can someone with a BSW and a Masters in Psych be eligible the SW exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm referring to the LSW.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who did not have a BSW and was able to take the LSW exam after proving their previous work experience was similar to work a SW would do. But the LSW doesn't really do anything beyond the bachelor level. I know DCF social workers are being required to get their LSW within a certain period of time of being hired. But you will not be able to get your LCSW with a MA in psychology.

If I understand you correctly, you have a BSW and an MA in psychology. I believe the previous poster was correct that in MA, you can obtain your LSW without a degree in social work, but the LSW won't necessarily get you that far. You can't be licensed to practice clinical social work ( usually called LICSW or just LCSW, depending on the jurisdiction) without a master's degree specifically in social work. I don't believe any states allow this.