BSN/pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what's the consensus...

Is a BSN an "okay" or appropriate major for a waffling pre-med?

I'm the mom of two and can't get any assistance to get back into school full-time (quit my job) unless I choose some sort of allied health/tech field... the only one of which there is a BS offered in around here is a BSN.

I know it'd make for some extra courses, but I was thinking of doing a BSN and my pre-reqs at once... that way if there's some lag time between when I apply and when I finish my BS, I'll actually have a field I can work in and make a decent wage to support my family (as opposed to a research assistant, who around here make diddly-squat).

I've always heard poor things about how adcomms look at nurses applying to med, so I just wanted to field some opinions on the subject...

Members don't see this ad.

I think it sounds like a good idea. You are correct in that having your BSN you will be able to work as an RN in between.

I know as an RN/NP that I have a lot of support from physicians as well as other RN's to go to medical school.

AxisNP

I am a pre med student and in a year and a half I will be receiving my Bachelors in Nursing (My ultimate goal is Dental School, but i want to have a decent degree to fall back on). I actually called a Dental/Med school and asked them if this rumor was true..."Do Med schools look down on nurses and etc...". She said "Absolutely not" and people from all different kinds of backgrounds with different degrees (ie, politics, art, NURSING) have applied and even make up the majority at their school. To be honest I think she was bluffing. She sounded as if she was reading right off the back of the school brochure. She even laughed at me and wondered where i heard such a thing. One thing I do believe is that Nurses who become Doctors, are the best kind of people in the medical field. Why? Because they are well rounded and they usually interact with patients on a emotional level more than Doctors do. Good Luck and don't let anyone discourage you. Especially your fellow Nurses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Manna,

Go for the BSN.

Julie. :D :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Right now, I am a CNA. . . I'm in college for pre nursing ( and a few professional credentials *emt-b, x-ray. . . * ) I plan on going to an ADN program, then a BSN/Pre-Med Program, and eventually medical school.

MANY nurses have told me I'm wasting my time. . . but, here's how I see it.

As a CNA, I do the 'grunt' work. . . I'm the primary outlet for patient concerns, and I provide more patient care than ANYBODY else who has contact with that patient -- I learn empathy, compassion, and skills.

As an RN, I'll be able to supervise CNA's and LPN's. . . AND provide patient care. I'll have a more advanced understanding of the medical and nursing processes. . . I'll have a wider variety of skills, and I'll learn how to more efficently manage avaliable resources (financial, human, supply).

As a BSN/RN, I'll have more advanced bed-side skills. . . I'll more readily understand the patient's concerns, and I'll have more knowledge regarding supervision and management.

As an MD, I'll learn the person -- inside and out -- and what can go wrong, and how to fix it / help the patient fix it. . . when it does. I'll know more than that, though. . . because I'll have the management and skills aptitude from BSN/RN. . . I'll have the efficiency, skills, and compassion of an RN, and I'll have the empathy, skills, compassion, communication skills. . . of a CNA.

It will take me a bit longer to get my MD, with the path I've chosen. . . but I do believe, that my future patients, whatever field of medicine I enter. . . will be thankful for the differences. I've had one too many doctors walk in, interrogate me. . . diagnose me, and walk out. . . I know the value of personality and personablity in healthcare -- and I'll carry each of the lessons with me.

The MAJOR lesson I've learned as a CNA, in addition to the skills and communication / empathy is this -- right when that person comes to you, whatever it is they came to you for. . . is a huge issue to that person -- no matter how trivial it may seem -- to them, it matters.

I recently fainted at work. . . had projectile vomiting, tremmors, high b/p. . . . I went to the ER -- and the physician there payed attention, he did more that just ask questions -- he cared. And, he diagnosed something that has been plaguing me since 1998, that, after an abdominal MRI, my physician missed. . . I guess it's a pretty good thing it isn't life - threatening -- just more along the lines of . . . fix it, or you're going to continue to do this.

More than the diagnoses, and the medical advice, and the IV, and the medication. . . I'm thankful for his attitude. Right then, my concerns were a HUGE issue to me, and the physician ( Dr. Elijah ) understood that -- and treated me appropriately -- which not only soothed my nerves -- but, in the long run, made a HUGE stride for male doctors in my book ( i'm a male, and don't see male doctors. . . fancy that.)

I am going to be honest. Sadly most people want to become a doctor not because they want to help people, but because they want that MD title. I was also once debating on if I wanted to be a doctor instead of a nurse. I chose nursing. I personally donot want to be in school for 8 years with a 1-2 year residency, making $28,000/year with a $150,000 undergraduate and med school debt hanging over my shoulders. Then get slapped with $200,000 in malpractice insurance (If in private practice). I want to become a nurse anesthesiologist. Hospitals in these days are now hiring more nurse anesthesiologists than anesthesiologists with a medical degree because they can pay nurses less (Not that thats a good thing). The same is for Physician assistants. So for me it works out that I stick with nursing. I will be 24 (I'm 21 now) when I become a nurse anesthesiologist with a $150,000 a year salary (They made $120,000 in 1999). I want to be able to enjoy my young years living comfortably and school stress free. I don't want to start my life at 30 years old. Life is short and the economy is bad. I am not knocking anyone who wants to be a doctor. Becoming doctor is great. Follow your heart, but be wise and look ahead. Becoming a doctor is not all that its souped up to be (Neither is nursing). But you have to make sure that you know what your getting yourself into. Think smart. Hospitals actually have a shortage in doctors and nurses. People tend to think that the reason why their is a shortage is because not alot of people are becoming nurses and doctors. Actually people are leaving their professions (nurses) and hospitals are more staffed with aides, assistants, and nurse practitioners who do almost the equivalent of a doctor. So hospitals are not hiring alot of doctors these days. But students are flooding medical schools. Follow your heart.Please feel free to respond if anyone disagrees with what I am saying.

There is no such thing as a nurse anesthesiologist! It is a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist....and yes, there is a difference and you should find out what it is before you decide on a career.

I think I know what I am talking about. I am graduating with my bachelors degree in nursing in 2005. The CRNA program is called nurse anesthesiology and CRNA's are also known as nurse anesthetists or nurse anesthesiologists. So before YOU decide to knock someone, know what you are talking about. And when you say "yes there is a difference", what are you talking about. If your saying yes there is a difference between a CRNA and a MDA, I just want to say I never said that there wasn't. But other than that I don't know what your talking about. I think I have researched my career pretty well.

I have never heard anyone refer to a CRNA as a nurse anesthesiologist but if you say some people refer to them in that manner, I apologize. Generally, an anesthesiologist refers to an MD who practices anesthesia and a nurse anesthetist refers to an advanced practice nurse who practices anesthesia. I do apologize if my post was inflammatory as I did not intend for it to sound that way. I think it irked me b/c I have heard many CRNA's or other health care personnel refer to CRNA's as simply "anesthesia", which I think confuses patients (Not that I am judging anyone, I know it is easier to say anesthesia than it is to say Certfied Registered Nurse Anesthetis). If the profession of nurse anesthesia wants to educate the public about CRNA's and their role, I think it is important to refer to nurse anesthetists as such, not as "anesthesia" or even "nurse anesthesiologist" b/c it leads the patient/public to believe that anesthesia is performed only be an MD. I actually know of several patients who have had CRNA's provide their anesthesia but never knew the CRNA wasn't an MD. In fact, they had never heard of CRNA's at all. I also have a BSN and am in the process of applying to CRNA programs and for some reason the term nurse anesthesiologist rubbed me the wrong way. Again, I apologize if you were offended.

I apologize also. I think I got a little hyper. But I understand what your saying and I also agree with you. :)

If you plan to do a BSN to satisfy pre-med requirements, be sure that both curricula can be satisfied with the courses you plan to take. I attended a private undergrad univ which also offered a BSN, and the pre-med students were not allowed to take some courses, like Human anatomy and phys, that were required for nursing students. Just keep an eye on this sort of restriction, because it could drag out your education even longer than it already will be if you need upper level pre-reqs that are closed to nursing students and vice-versa.

manna said:
So what's the consensus...

Is a BSN an "okay" or appropriate major for a waffling pre-med?

I'm the mom of two and can't get any assistance to get back into school full-time (quit my job) unless I choose some sort of allied health/tech field... the only one of which there is a BS offered in around here is a BSN.

I know it'd make for some extra courses, but I was thinking of doing a BSN and my pre-reqs at once... that way if there's some lag time between when I apply and when I finish my BS, I'll actually have a field I can work in and make a decent wage to support my family (as opposed to a research assistant, who around here make diddly-squat).

I've always heard poor things about how adcomms look at nurses applying to med, so I just wanted to field some opinions on the subject...

I think this is a GREAT idea. Be sure you take the pre requisites that whatever medical school you are applying at requires. You may be able to take some of those in place of some of your nursing classes. The nice thing about nursing is that you will have some exposure to the healtcare field before you go to medical school which will give you an advantage over those people who have never seen anything medical (I mean you won't have to work quite as hard through some of your classes!) In addition, you are guaranteed a job or 2 or 3 thoughout school. good luck!! :luck:

An update from me - since I was the OP. :)

I'm starting nursing school next week (BSN program). Decided that doing the pre-med thing at this point in my life is just plain selfish. If that drive and desire is still there 2 years from now, maybe I'll do some post-bacc and apply... now I'm just taking it one day at a time. Thanks for the advice, yall. :)

Amik25 said:
There is no such thing as a nurse anesthesiologist! It is a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist....and yes, there is a difference and you should find out what it is before you decide on a career.

i was a little floored by the nurse anesthesiologist term also, but i looked it up on line and sure enough i got back a bunch of links for "nurse anesthesiologist/anesthetist" that's what i like about these boards... you learn something new everyday.

Actually there is a such thing as a nurse anesthesiologist. Some places call them nurse anesthetists and some call them nurse anesthesiologists-just FYI.