Program-Specific Info / Q's Brenau University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABOT5532

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted today to Brenau in Gainesville,GA! However the MASTERS program is $92,000+ and 94 credits. Why so expensive and long?? Seems crazy! What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to attend Brenau (Norcross campus) and I still don't understand why it's so expensive :/ I just hope it's all worth it!

I plan on attending Winston Salem State University and out of state tuition is about $60,000. I am going to try and get in-state for my last year to help but even without it, it's still much cheaper. Every OT that I spoke with told me to go to the cheapest school I got into (as long as its accredited/ has a decent matriculation and pass rate). I got into a school in Maine that I loved and could really see myself enjoying living there but I thought long and hard about loan repayment and interest and my gut keeps telling me to go with the more affordable school. Georgia has always been and will always be home for me but I can't rationalize the tuition at Brenau. I would go to PA school for that price before I go to OT school. But I am almost 30 and I don't want those loan haunting me for the rest of my life and my mother is ill and I will need to help pay for her care, so my priorities may be different from yours.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on attending Winston Salem State University and out of state tuition is about $60,000. I am going to try and get in-state for my last year to help but even without it, it's still much cheaper. Every OT that I spoke with told me to go to the cheapest school I got into (as long as its accredited/ has a decent matriculation and pass rate). I got into a school in Maine that I loved and could really see myself enjoying living there but I thought long and hard about loan repayment and interest and my gut keeps telling me to go with the more affordable school. Georgia has always been and will always be home for me but I can't rationalize the tuition at Brenau. I would go to PA school for that price before I go to OT school. But I am almost 30 and I don't want those loan haunting me for the rest of my life and my mother is ill and I will need to help pay for her care, so my priorities may be different from yours.

I'm not sure why I applied, but yeah I'm not planning on attending so my seat will be open later this week for another candidate! Unfortunately, some people have to stay in state for family or other personal reasons. Also some states don't even have a state school for OT. Nebraska, Hawaii, Iowa, and Connecticut come to mind among a few. Residents of these states HAVE to attend a private school or attend an out of state one, which is basically the some price as paying for some private schools.

I'm not sure why I applied, but yeah I'm not planning on attending so my seat will be open later this week for another candidate! Unfortunately, some people have to stay in state for family or other personal reasons. Also some states don't even have a state school for OT. Nebraska, Hawaii, Iowa, and Connecticut come to mind among a few. Residents of these states HAVE to attend a private school or attend an out of state one, which is basically the some price as paying for some private schools.
Yes, I am far too familiar which is why I will be attending a school out-of-state. I think everyone has different priorities when entering grad school so I say go where ever is better for you! :)

At Brenau you have to complete a masters thesis as part of your degree (not all schools have this). As a result, starting your second semester you will have weekly thesis meetings with your group and adviser. This time is factored in as designated credit hours (1 hour for 2 semesters of research supervision, 2 hours for research seminar when you write your proposal, and 3 hours for your thesis when you conduct your study). Your fieldwork is also factored in as credit hours (1 hour for each level I, and 3 hours for each level II). Tuition is based on those credit hours. Brenau also has a strong focus on clinical and professional reasoning. Your first four semesters you will have a Professional Reasoning seminar in which you collaborate with your classmates about your Level I fieldworks (each of those is 2 credit hours).

The program itself takes 7 semesters, so it isn't necessarily longer but it is intensive. You can find the credit breakdown here:
https://7s60ez0ns6la1lf11py42789-wp...ploads/2011/06/3-curriculums-side-by-side.pdf

The length of this program can have benefits if you intend to pursue a post professional doctorate. Some schools (including Brenau) will give you credit for coursework completed during your masters. It can also have benefits if you plan on heading into academia later if you have published research and research experience. I personally really like the focus on professional reasoning as it is something that I have found very beneficial throughout the program and now while I'm in my first Level II.

But yes, it is expensive and as I'm approaching graduation it is daunting. I will say that I feel I have received a solid education through Brenau.

(Current Brenau Student)

Reactions: 2 users
At Brenau you have to complete a masters thesis as part of your degree (not all schools have this). As a result, starting your second semester you will have weekly thesis meetings with your group and adviser. This time is factored in as designated credit hours (1 hour for 2 semesters of research supervision, 2 hours for research seminar when you write your proposal, and 3 hours for your thesis when you conduct your study). Your fieldwork is also factored in as credit hours (1 hour for each level I, and 3 hours for each level II). Tuition is based on those credit hours. Brenau also has a strong focus on clinical and professional reasoning. Your first four semesters you will have a Professional Reasoning seminar in which you collaborate with your classmates about your Level I fieldworks (each of those is 2 credit hours).

The program itself takes 7 semesters, so it isn't necessarily longer but it is intensive. You can find the credit breakdown here:
https://7s60ez0ns6la1lf11py42789-wp...ploads/2011/06/3-curriculums-side-by-side.pdf

The length of this program can have benefits if you intend to pursue a post professional doctorate. Some schools (including Brenau) will give you credit for coursework completed during your masters. It can also have benefits if you plan on heading into academia later if you have published research and research experience. I personally really like the focus on professional reasoning as it is something that I have found very beneficial throughout the program and now while I'm in my first Level II.

But yes, it is expensive and as I'm approaching graduation it is daunting. I will say that I feel I have received a solid education through Brenau.

(Current Brenau Student)

Looking into Brenau MSOT day program- Where do FW Level 1 take place? Is out of town travel necessary for Level 1? How is housing in Gainesville?

Has anyone applied for January 2018?

I'm preparing for the interview for the Brenau MSOT Weekend Hybrid Norcross start Jan 2018. I have been reading through the threads for tips on interview experiences and questions that were asked. I read in one person's response that they were asked about their previous "Research Experience". Did anyone else get this question? I'm trying to determine is this a very likely question? My concern is that I have minimal research experience. "Freaking out a little!!!"

I got accepted today to Brenau in Gainesville,GA! However the MASTERS program is $92,000+ and 94 credits. Why so expensive and long?? Seems crazy! What do you guys think?
Have you made a decision about whether you're going to attend? Unrelated question- Were you asked about previous research experience in your interview?