Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
yanqin1.jpg

yanqin2.jpg

yanqin3.jpg
I don't have BR books.

Okay I noticed that TBR and ExamKracker (& THP) chapter ones are different in Biology. I was wondering if it makes a difference which chapter I start. Or would it be smarter doing my weaker chapters first? Or chapters that has
More memorizations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tips from people who are already half way or almost done with their MCAT study plan are greatly appreciated. Do you guys think EK has the best Verbal strategies? I have just started my MCAT studying (preparing for January MCAT) and I have just completed the EK Verbal book. Took all three in class exams and score somewhere around 8-9 each time. I am quite frustrated. Should I be concerned? And I need some tips on how to go about improving my score. Any advice is appreciated!

Does the "question stem" strategy really help that much? Because even though it seems to work in the chapter they taught it, I find it very difficult to apply to other passages.

Last edited:
Any successful stories of people who pushed their test date to January because their scoring way lower than their target score on their practice tests? I don't really want to prolong my suffering (who does, right?) but I still don't feel ready to take the test. I'm applying next year and thought of studying for the MCAT this summer just to get it out of the way. It sucks but I gotta admit that I was a little bit distracted while following this schedule so partially my fault too.

Anyways, I have only taken two practice tests so far. And my scores are:

AAMC 4: 7/6/7
AAMC 3: 10/6/8

I'm targeting a 33-35. Verbal is my major concern. I've been scoring 6-8 ever since so I'm really not expecting a huge improvement for the next 3 weeks (scheduled to take the Sept.8 test) especially school starts for me this week. And obviously, my sciences are not that strong as well.

Anyways, any helpful/inspiring story or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any successful stories of people who pushed their test date to January because their scoring way lower than their target score on their practice tests? I don't really want to prolong my suffering (who does, right?) but I still don't feel ready to take the test. I'm applying next year and thought of studying for the MCAT this summer just to get it out of the way. It sucks but I gotta admit that I was a little bit distracted while following this schedule so partially my fault too.

Anyways, I have only taken two practice tests so far. And my scores are:

AAMC 4: 7/6/7
AAMC 3: 10/6/8

I'm targeting a 33-35. Verbal is my major concern. I've been scoring 6-8 ever since so I'm really not expecting a huge improvement for the next 3 weeks (scheduled to take the Sept.8 test) especially school starts for me this week. And obviously, my sciences are not that strong as well.

Anyways, any helpful/inspiring story or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation as you and decided I should probably postpone until January. It's a long time from now, but hopefully it'll give me a new perspective when I start studying again.

Can someone with the TBR 2008 books let me know whether those books have discrete questions?
Also, I wonder why the TBR books are recommended over TPR. Do they have better content review or is it because of the passages? I have the whole TPR set, EK 1001+101, should I get TBR books for more passages (if my schedule and my pocket allow) or should I focus on FL tests instead?

I'm in a similar situation as you and decided I should probably postpone until January. It's a long time from now, but hopefully it'll give me a new perspective when I start studying again.

It's nice to finally meet someone that is in the same situation as I am. I'm still gonna take the September test though, just to see how it is, but I'll probably gonna stop taking any more full lengths. Seeing the result of my first FL suck up all my confidence and can't focus properly since then. Seeing my VR score for my second FL just made me wanna raise the white flag. Confidence is definitely a big part of this test and once you lose it, your done.

Anyways, good luck on studying and thank you!:)

It's nice to finally meet someone that is in the same situation as I am. I'm still gonna take the September test though, just to see how it is, but I'll probably gonna stop taking any more full lengths. Seeing the result of my first FL suck up all my confidence and can't focus properly since then. Seeing my VR score for my second FL just made me wanna raise the white flag. Confidence is definitely a big part of this test and once you lose it, your done.

Anyways, good luck on studying and thank you!:)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm probably still gonna take it to get an idea of how test day will actually go. Good luck to you, too! Hope you get the score you want the first time!

I'm going to be a full time student this school year, and I'll be taking organic and physics for both semesters. I took basic biology and chemistry two years ago. And I plan to take the MCAT the following summer of 2012.

Since you don't advice hard studying long before the test, is there anything that you recommend that I could do during the first semester and winter break? Would training for the verbal section and reviewing general biology and chemistry be helpful? If so, which books should I use?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

dlee262

I'm going to be a full time student this school year, and I'll be taking organic and physics for both semesters. I took basic biology and chemistry two years ago. And I plan to take the MCAT the following summer of 2012.

Since you don't advice hard studying long before the test, is there anything that you recommend that I could do during the first semester and winter break? Would training for the verbal section and reviewing general biology and chemistry be helpful? If so, which books should I use?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

dlee262

I think it would be in your best interest to read a lot of articles from the economist and other online sources to get you reading for verbal. A lot of the passages can be dense so try to figure out the main idea of the articles to the best of your ability. Keep reading and it should really help in the long run. As far as reviewing gen bio/chem, I think you can wait until you start content review for the MCAT. Hope this helps :)

SN2ed,

Is it okay to purchase all of the study materials as PDF files or is it better to stick with the paperback versions? I've found thats its significantly cheaper to get these books as ebooks but I am not sure if it is a good idea to have hundreds of pages of material to look through on the computer screen...

SN2ed,

Is it okay to purchase all of the study materials as PDF files or is it better to stick with the paperback versions? I've found thats its significantly cheaper to get these books as ebooks but I am not sure if it is a good idea to have hundreds of pages of material to look through on the computer screen...

From my experience I think it depends on how you learn better. I can read for longer periods of time on the computer, but I retain less than if I read the book :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
SN2ed,

Do I think it's okay to buy pirated material? No, I don't. Buy the actual versions.

Do I think it's okay to buy pirated material? No, I don't. Buy the actual versions.

Yeah, probably don't do it.

But if the pirating thing isn't important to you, then your first inclination was right. Looking at your computer screen for that long is no fun at all.

I scanned a chapter or two to read while I was away so I wouldn't have to take my book, and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life (at least for my eyes). I ended up rereading the chapters when I got back.

I've been using this method for the past 2.5 months, with a few more break days added in so I could pay my bills, haha. The only difference is I didn't use any TBR, just TPR and EK-bio w/1,001's (while supplementing Kaplan chapters for the topics I didn't didn't like in the TPR books).

I just finished all the chapter reviews this week, and finally at the hat trick. I scheduled to take my test Sept. 10, and I realize I don't have enough time to take all the FLs that are scheduled and still do all the 3rd 1/3's. At this point which do you think is more important: 1.) take all the FLs scheduled and use them to go back and review weak areas or 2.) take less FLs and do the last 1/3's questions in between the FL-reviews? I'll be taking my first FL tomorrow.

Aside from cutting it close, this study schedule has worked wonders, I feel more confident now than I have ever before (I studied with the Kaplan course, signed up and backed out of the MCAT last minute at the beginning of the year).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys I did the majority of the BR physics, bio and chemistry passages as well as the TPR science workbook passages. I noticedthat the BR chemistry,bio and physics passages were much more easier and basic compared to the actual MCAT I took on August 19, 2011. It seemed like the TPR science workbook had more similar passages for the chemistry, physics, and bio section, anyone else feel that way? Any comments? Help a sister out!

Hey guys I did the majority of the BR physics, bio and chemistry passages as well as the TPR science workbook passages. I noticedthat the BR chemistry,bio and physics passages were much more easier and basic compared to the actual MCAT I took on August 19, 2011. It seemed like the TPR science workbook had more similar passages for the chemistry, physics, and bio section, anyone else feel that way? Any comments? Help a sister out!

I think you'll have better luck posting this in the 8/19 MCAT thread where others in your situation can help. Wish I could help for.

I think you'll have better luck posting this in the 8/19 MCAT thread where others in your situation can help. Wish I could help for.

Thanks for the help. I posted it there as well. I was more curious though as to what others thought about this here since the 3 month and 4 month mcat schedule is heavily based on doing the BR science passages as opposed to the TPR passages...for me it seemed the BR passages were way to basic compared to the actual MCAT...the TPR science passages seemed more similar to the actual MCAT :confused:

Has anyone incorporated entirely TPR materials into 3 or 4-month schedule similar to the BR schedule discussed in this thread?

Last edited:
TPR science workbook seems much easier for me. I can 100% almost all their passages. I can't get close to doing that with TBR on which i usually get 1-3 to wrong.

Thanks for the help. I posted it there as well. I was more curious though as to what others thought about this here since the 3 month and 4 month mcat schedule is heavily based on doing the BR science passages as opposed to the TPR passages...for me it seemed the BR passages were way to basic compared to the actual MCAT...the TPR science passages seemed more similar to the actual MCAT :confused:

Maybe it just plays to your strengths. I know most people have trouble with the TBR material..I know I did :laugh:

SN2ed,

I got the paper books. They are heavy and expensive (I bought the whole set from their website) but it's better than reading review contents on the screen ( it hurts my eyes and I can't concentrate)

Last edited:
Someone had made a link where it generated the start date of this schedule based on the exam test date. I've searched and gone through the thread, but I clearly have missed this. Anyone know where it is?

If so, can you post it in here or PM it to me. Thanks!

Someone had made a link where it generated the start date of this schedule based on the exam test date. I've searched and gone through the thread, but I clearly have missed this. Anyone know where it is?

If so, can you post it in here or PM it to me. Thanks!

Did you know each of the days are numbered on the first page. Just look at the total # of days for whichever version of the schedule you want to do, and subtract that many days from when your MCAT test date is.

MCAT = Critical thinking. Some months may have different number of days, but this could have probably been done in like 2 minutes, rather than searching through the thread and asking for it.

Did you know each of the days are numbered on the first page. Just look at the total # of days for whichever version of the schedule you want to do, and subtract that many days from when your MCAT test date is.

MCAT = Critical thinking. Some months may have different number of days, but this could have probably been done in like 2 minutes, rather than searching through the thread and asking for it.

I was aware of that method, but thanks for your kindness.

SN2ed,

You do realize that you just asked a respected moderator to tell whether engaging in unlawful behavior is good or not.

The unethical and illegal aspects of your question aside, a big part of the learning process is writing notes and showing your work as you solve problems. In time you write less and less with each new homework set, indicating you are getting better at the material and questions. A purely computerized review will prove to be less effective, cumbersome in terms of keeping track of what you've done already, and most of all leave you with disorganized notes that will make it hard to look back at target subjects near the end of your review. We learn much better from physical books and readers than online reading. Something about having more than your eyes in motion when working through material seems to help with understanding and retention.

Does anyone know if I can substitute the The Princeton Review Cracking the MCAT 2011-2012 for the Berkley Review. I have the Princeton Review MCAT CBT that I used before and I was thinking about borrowing the Princeton Review Hyperlearning from one my friends since two of them took the Princeton Review Course. The BR books are very expensive and I much rather spend 51 bucks versus 245.

This has always been on the front page, not sure why people aren't reading it:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

Also, since it doesn't look like there have been any new questions pertaining to the schedule for quite a while, I will probably close this soon. I'll be deleting all of the posts that don't directly relate to the schedule to make it easier for people to read through this thread.

This has always been on the front page, not sure why people aren't reading it:

Also, since it doesn't look like there have been any new questions pertaining to the schedule for quite a while, I will probably close this soon. I'll be deleting all of the posts that don't directly relate to the schedule to make it easier for people to read through this thread.

I read the first page. I assumed the TPRH is different from the Book at Barnes and Nobles. The question was more directed to the book (TPR Cracking the MCAT) from Barnes Nobles. I'm already but the EK 1001/101 plus the TPR Workbook and TPR Verbral and Writing. I'm assuming you answer is for the TPR Cracking the MCAT.

I'm just not willing to spend that much money for passages although I understand BR has great passages.

Hi SN2ed,

I'm a non-traditional student who's been tutoring for years since graduation. I plan on quitting my full time job and committing myself 100% to your MCAT schedule, I was wondering if you could please help answer a few of my questions regarding your MCAT schedule:

1. From my diagnostic, I scored a 6 PS, 5 VR, 6 BS. I guess my science knowledge base is very very very weak and I feel completely foreign to the MCAT critical thinking process of which encompasses the entire exam. Would you recommend the 3 or 4 month schedule for me? Like I have mentioned, I plan on quitting my job, then study in Oct/Nov till March/April and apply in June if all goes well.

2. After days of hunting, I finally tracked down a TPRH Verbal workbook. I scored a 5 on my Verbal Diagnostic so I guess Verbal is my weakest subject also given my extreme struggle while doing them! I left the last 3 passages blank due to overwhelming time constraint. Do you recommend me to purchase a BR Verbal book given that I already have the TPRH Verbal workbook + EK 101 Verbal?

3. I was a biology major (many years ago), thus if anything I'd consider my current limited aging knowledge to be most dominate in biology. I'm contemplating whether to purchase the EK Biology. You mentioned that the EK Bio nails a great majority of the topics tested on MCAT Biology but it lacks depth which I interpret as not sufficient to obtain a good Bio score. My preference between a detailed or non-detailed approach doesn't matter as long as I know the depth of the source can solely help me score a 15. So I was curious if I should buy the EK Bio or should the BR Bio be suffice to obtain a good score?

4. After finding out that I was changing careers, one of my tutees gave me a EK 1001 Questions Biology for my birthday. It doesn't seem like you recommend pre meds to buy it, but since I already have it, do you suggest that I stay away from it and rather stick to BR Bio Passages?

5. You mention do passages (Verbal or Science) within 6-7 minutes. I can barely do them within 10. Any strategies/tips you might recommend? I typically read actively through the passage then answer the questions in order; I refer back to the passages frequently.

Also, I just wanted to let you know that my tutee offered to lend me all her 2009 TPR content books + workbooks. So please let me know if you recommend me using the TPR material alongside the ones you initially recommended, and possibly how I might incorporate them into the schedule.

Once again, thank you very much for for the time and effort you put into these valuable posts. You've helped sparked a dying flame in my life to pursue career that I've always dreamed of since undergrad.

Best,

PreMedSeed

Last edited:
I am just posting my thoughts on SN2 method. I followed the schedule fairly closely but made a few adjustments. I didn't use EK or the hatrick and I added 3 additional TBR practise tests to the AAMC.

I wrote Aug 5th and started studying early May so it was a bit more than 3 months I put into it. I was pulling 8hrs a day for those 3 months roughly. It took me a lot more time than I thought to cover the TBR chapters + passages.

The schedule is excellent and well made so kudos to SN2. Going into the test I felt I had prepared adequately but the real thing felt much more difficult than any of the practise tests but I still managed to score close to my AAMC average. I scored a 35R 12/11/R/12 and I feel that is due to the schedule that I followed and the materials I used. I am not a natural test taker so it was really the practise that paid off. When I left the test centre I had no idea how it went. After the AAMC tests I could roughly predict my score but with real deal I had no clue. I think when people say that you score your average for the AAMC it is roughly true…or at least it was for me. I say use this schedule if you can't devote the proper amount of time to it, I believe it's the best I've seen.

Does anyone who used TBR bio vs EK bio have to comment on what worked better with the schedule?

I'm going to use the TBR bio passages this time, but debating between the content on EK or TBR. Thanks.

Weak spots for my exam last time were Gen chem, orgo, and verbal.

Using TBR for both GC and Orgo, and TPR for vr since i burned through Ek101.

i am not following the schedule but i have been using both books. i think if you know EK bio book pretty well, you can go through TBR passages. there are a lot of details in TBR bio book. i originally planned for september test but i think i am going to go through all passages in TBR and just try to focus on analyzing graphs/passages rather than focusing on details.

i am not following the schedule but i have been using both books. i think if you know EK bio book pretty well, you can go through TBR passages. there are a lot of details in TBR bio book. i originally planned for september test but i think i am going to go through all passages in TBR and just try to focus on analyzing graphs/passages rather than focusing on details.

I'm a second time test taker and I messed up by not practicing enough the first time so that what I'm trying to fix this time.

I'm thinking that I'll read and take notes on EK and just read through TBR. That way I'll hit everything.

Thanks.

I'm a current senior who is planning on applying for the 2012-2013 cycle, and want to take the MCAT next year. I've read all your advice, and I find it terrific but I still have one question. If the best time to study for the MCAT is when you're not taking classes (therefore, I would study for the MCAT the summer after I graduate), would there still be enough time to apply for the next cycle if I take the MCAT in August?

Thank you in advance!

I'm a current senior who is planning on applying for the 2012-2013 cycle, and want to take the MCAT next year. I've read all your advice, and I find it terrific but I still have one question. If the best time to study for the MCAT is when you're not taking classes (therefore, I would study for the MCAT the summer after I graduate), would there still be enough time to apply for the next cycle if I take the MCAT in August?

Thank you in advance!

You can still apply if you take it in August. Just get everything else on your app ready and amcas will send the scores to the schools. If you finish school earlier, you could try taking it late July, too.

You can still apply if you take it in August. Just get everything else on your app ready and amcas will send the scores to the schools. If you finish school earlier, you could try taking it late July, too.
That's good advice, thank you! But one question, when do you normally send your primary application? I'm a new pre-med so I'm a bit lost in this whole application process. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.