Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
To the comments about BR Bio: I definitely had the same problem. The first few chapters had killer passages. A lot of the biochem stuff is very detailed. However, after starting the second Orgo review book, it makes a lot more sense. I find the bio physiology passages to be much easier.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has been struggling with the BR physics passages? I didn't do very well in the first few chapters but I thought I was improving, then I got to the waves and fluid chapters and it's much worse. I understand the chapters and I am easily able to do all of the problems in it. But the passages destroy me. Often, I'll get 0 or 1 question wrong in a passage and in the next one I'll only get 1 right :(. The scores are very extreme in both directions depending on the passage. Of course each passage takes me ~10 min. I spend a long time reviewing, to see my mistakes, but I don't see it making a difference. I am doing substantially better in every other section. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

But assuming you take the test in March or so of junior year, is it really a good idea to be studying 6-8 months before taking the actual test? That sounds like a bad idea to me...

My bad, I assumed that you were going to take it sometime in September. But yeah why not take it junior-senior year, are you in a rush?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the comments about BR Bio: I definitely had the same problem. The first few chapters had killer passages. A lot of the biochem stuff is very detailed. However, after starting the second Orgo review book, it makes a lot more sense. I find the bio physiology passages to be much easier.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has been struggling with the BR physics passages? I didn't do very well in the first few chapters but I thought I was improving, then I got to the waves and fluid chapters and it's much worse. I understand the chapters and I am easily able to do all of the problems in it. But the passages destroy me. Often, I'll get 0 or 1 question wrong in a passage and in the next one I'll only get 1 right :(. The scores are very extreme in both directions depending on the passage. Of course each passage takes me ~10 min. I spend a long time reviewing, to see my mistakes, but I don't see it making a difference. I am doing substantially better in every other section. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

they are supposed to be like that i think. some passages purposely test on material they haven't even reviewed. its meant to be a weird way of teaching.

Holy crap, I hope it's worth the $230. If you got a bad copy call amazon since they're really good at taking care of their customers.

Book came today... as described with no writing in it! I plan on keeping it that way so I can recoup some of that cost! I am going to make a fortune when I get rid of my MCAT book collection:)

Interesting idea about calling to get a replacement book if you have already "taken" the class.. $15 is such a difference!

Book came today... as described with no writing in it! I plan on keeping it that way so I can recoup some of that cost! I am going to make a fortune when I get rid of my MCAT book collection:)

Interesting idea about calling to get a replacement book if you have already "taken" the class.. $15 is such a difference!

:thumbup: Awesome! Good luck!

**** is pretty tiring. Anyone else feeling the heavy burden of these reread chapters and EK 1001 question days?

Also for those of you guys doing sn2ed's schedule how are you retaining the information? I feel like I already forgot day 1 of physics :/
I know I'm being productive and actively checking my answers that I got wrong (which is alot) and also checking the ones I got right, but I'm a little worried that I won't retain it properly. Anyone else feeling this? or is it just me.
I think the only thing keeping me sane is gym and friends :D

**** is pretty tiring. Anyone else feeling the heavy burden of these reread chapters and EK 1001 question days?

Also for those of you guys doing sn2ed's schedule how are you retaining the information? I feel like I already forgot day 1 of physics :/
I know I'm being productive and actively checking my answers that I got wrong (which is alot) and also checking the ones I got right, but I'm a little worried that I won't retain it properly. Anyone else feeling this? or is it just me.
I think the only thing keeping me sane is gym and friends :D

I agree with you about retaining the information. Anyone got any suggestions?

I agree with you about retaining the information. Anyone got any suggestions?

Honestly, I have been making flashcards (vocab words, reactions, structures, etc.) as I go along and typing up notes for each subject, making sure to highlight over areas I struggle with or key points that I tend to forget when doing passages. Reading through flashcards every day (except break days) and looking over notes is somewhat helping. :shrug:More suggestions would be great!

Suggestions to adding more FL's? I have access to Kaplan + AAMC FL's. What would you take out of the schedule to add more practice tests?

Honestly, I have been making flashcards (vocab words, reactions, structures, etc.) as I go along and typing up notes for each subject, making sure to highlight over areas I struggle with or key points that I tend to forget when doing passages. Reading through flashcards every day (except break days) and looking over notes is somewhat helping. :shrug:More suggestions would be great!

Yeah I think I might do this, I've been writing notes and key points on sheets of paper, but I keep losing them :D

How are you guys doing on the Bio? I feel like there are some that I just flat out don't even get. Kinda getting worried that EK isn't providing enough information to the BR passages. I'm on day 24 so yeah... not sure where I should be in terms of progress right now. Or what I should change (study habits etc.)

Yeah I think I might do this, I've been writing notes and key points on sheets of paper, but I keep losing them :D

How are you guys doing on the Bio? I feel like there are some that I just flat out don't even get. Kinda getting worried that EK isn't providing enough information to the BR passages. I'm on day 24 so yeah... not sure where I should be in terms of progress right now. Or what I should change (study habits etc.)

I am on Day 51. I am getting better at the Biology. I read through it once, then read through it while listening to the EK lecture looking at diagrams and stuff, then I read through it AGAIN, taking notes and making flashcards before I finally take the practice passages. I still feel like I need to edit my study habits, but I can't really put any more time into it because I have two jobs (I'm doing the 4 month schedule) and can't fit any more studying in. It takes me about 5 hours on average but I definitely wanna modify my study habits somehow because I am not seeing tremendous improvement like I would have hoped. :( This is my 2nd time taking this thing, and I don't wanna see a 3rd. :(

On day 71. I feel the Bio gets significantly easier when you start the physiology chapters. For me, the first chapters are really tough because they include organic chemistry concepts that are not reviewed until later. It'll get better:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Suggestions to adding more FL's? I have access to Kaplan + AAMC FL's. What would you take out of the schedule to add more practice tests?

I def stopped doing Orgo to do more practice tests...but I also liked the subject and did well in it. If you don't feel the same about orgo, I'd say remove what you think you're really good at (can do using just passage because you feel comf enough with material). Hope it helps!

Random Questions

Should I buy the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam published by the AAMC?

I don't suggest you buy it separately. However, since you will be buying AAMC practice tests and/or the MSAR, you might as well get the bundle where you can get the Guide + Practice test or Guide + MSAR at a reduced price. If you get the guide, I suggest you save the problems in it for last. For now, the practice problems in the guide offer the most accurate representation of the current MCAT.

How would you rank the FLs?

In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

The reason why TPR tests are so low is because the opinions are too mixed to gain a good read.

Why are so many of your recommended books from BR?

About BR, it does go into some unnecessary depth, however, it's great for people that need a little bit more to get the rust off their pre-req gears. If someone is still strong in their pre-reqs, then BR can be seen as a waste of time. In these cases, EK is the better choice because it provides you with only what you need to know. Unfortunately, too many people think they are strong in their pre-reqs when they are not.

That's why the safer bet is to stick with BR (or TPRH if you have it). Even if you're strong in your pre-reqs, it doesn't hurt to go above and beyond what you might need for the test. True, BR chapters are longer, but if you plan accordingly, you should be able to easily do one chapter a day. If you can't, then you're most likely weak in that area and you need something like BR to help you.

Now about why my schedule doesn't include tons of FLs, one of the primary reasons is cost. Adding FLs would significantly raise the cost of my schedule. I could add GS FLs which are around $100 for 10, unfortunately, that's still quite a bit of money and recent test takers have said they aren't that helpful. Plus, they aren't good in verbal which kind of negates the FL feel.

One could argue that if I took out BR and replaced it with EK, that would bring down the cost. However, as I mentioned above, BR is the safer bet AND it includes tons of practice passages. When compared to the AAMC FLs, BR offers more practice passages per dollar.

8 AAMC 168 Passages for $280 = 0.6 Passages per $
4 BR books ~472 Passages for $240 = 1.97 Passages per $

10 GS FLs 210 Passages (this includes verbal which is pretty bad in GS FLs) for ~$100 = 2.1 Passages per $
10 GS FLs if you exclude their verbal 140 Passages for $100 = 1.4 Passages per $

Another benefit of taking practice passages is that you'll get the full range of possible topics. With FLs, you will inevitably miss certain topics and/or go over some topics more than others. Now that sounds pretty good at first glance. It seems like you'll get used to topics tested more often. Unfortunately, you can't predict what you'll see on test day. You may get those topics you saw in the FLs, you may not. It's better to take practice passages from all topics, identify any weaknesses, even if they don't show up often on FLs, and eliminate those weaknesses.

Well I hope that long winded explanation explained why I chose BR over other books and including more FLs.

Which do you prefer strictly for content, TPRH or BR?

The key to MCAT success is not content review, it's taking tons of timed practice passages and thoroughly reviewing those passages. If you really want an exact breakdown in terms of content review, it'd probably be something like this:

Bio: TPRH
O-chem: TPRH, a good number prefer BR
- In the past, more people preferred BR. Both TPRH and BR are probably about equal with style preference being a large factor.
Verbal: TPRH
- Verbal is basically entirely practice-based so this doesn't really count. For verbal practice, TPRH easily beats BR.
Gen chem: BR, some prefer TPRH
Physics: BR, some prefer TPRH

Again, you can't go wrong with either. For the money, BR is better because it contains practice passages which are vital for success and far more important than content review.

So get those three things set up for a smooth primary application.

Wow! You really manage to answer almost every question I had. Unfortunately I saw this post half way into my TPR Course. The TPR books are great, but I agree that their Verbal strategy is not good.

My plan is to finish all the TPR books in terms of content and finish all the practice passages. Then start taking FLs. However, from your post I feel that TPR does not provide enough practice passages and I should try and get more.

TPR provides extra practice online and I feel that they have a lot more passages then I would end up using. Do you think that should be fine, or I should try and get BR science books for the passages?

Are TPR science passages not good?

Further, do you think the MSAR is really important to buy? AAMC has the Official Guide to the MCAT on sale, should I go ahead an buy it just for the extra practice?

I have all the AAMC Practice tests + TPR tests and I took TPR 1-3 and AAMC 3 & 4 already. AAMC 3 was my first test and I took it 2 weeks into my TPR course. I scored a 24, then I took TPR 1 and 2 and scored 23s. Further, I took AAMC 4 and got a 28. Then I took TPR 3 and got a 23 again. I am only half way done with the content and after reading your posts I feel that I will not try and take another FL until a little later.

Do you think the 28 is closer to my score or should I go by TPR? I feel that TPR verbal and physical is slightly harder. But that maybe because I am having trouble with fundamental PS topics. My verbal is pretty variable, so I do not know what to make of my scores.

-Thanks

Wow! You really manage to answer almost every question I had. Unfortunately I saw this post half way into my TPR Course. The TPR books are great, but I agree that their Verbal strategy is not good.

My plan is to finish all the TPR books in terms of content and finish all the practice passages. Then start taking FLs. However, from your post I feel that TPR does not provide enough practice passages and I should try and get more.

TPR provides extra practice online and I feel that they have a lot more passages then I would end up using. Do you think that should be fine, or I should try and get BR science books for the passages?

Are TPR science passages not good?

Further, do you think the MSAR is really important to buy? AAMC has the Official Guide to the MCAT on sale, should I go ahead an buy it just for the extra practice?

I have all the AAMC Practice tests + TPR tests and I took TPR 1-3 and AAMC 3 & 4 already. AAMC 3 was my first test and I took it 2 weeks into my TPR course. I scored a 24, then I took TPR 1 and 2 and scored 23s. Further, I took AAMC 4 and got a 28. Then I took TPR 3 and got a 23 again. I am only half way done with the content and after reading your posts I feel that I will not try and take another FL until a little later.

Do you think the 28 is closer to my score or should I go by TPR? I feel that TPR verbal and physical is slightly harder. But that maybe because I am having trouble with fundamental PS topics. My verbal is pretty variable, so I do not know what to make of my scores.

-Thanks

Great questions!

I'm wondering the same thing. I've worked through all the physics passages in the hyperlearning workbook and I feel they really helped my understanding of nailing down the material. And for some reason, I felt the TPR FLs were harder than the AAMC ones. Anyone think similarly?

Also would anyone happen to know whether or not the TPR passages online are repetitions of the passages in their hyperlearning science workbook?

Great questions!

I'm wondering the same thing. I've worked through all the physics passages in the hyperlearning workbook and I feel they really helped my understanding of nailing down the material. And for some reason, I felt the TPR FLs were harder than the AAMC ones. Anyone think similarly?

So from SN2ed's post, TPR seems to be about on par with TBR, but there is a slight bias towards TBR on this forum, for whatever reason. It's probably not worth it to switch right now.

I was wondering if everyone is doing a number of passages each day? I am practising 5 passages a day and will do ek and princeton verbal books. Should I time individual passages or should I do 5 of them together?

I don't know if this has been asked or not, but in regards to this schedule what should we do on the FL days after we take them ? take the day rest of the day off :) or start correcting the FL :confused:

I don't know if this has been asked or not, but in regards to this schedule what should we do on the FL days after we take them ? take the day rest of the day off :) or start correcting the FL :confused:

Take the day off. Maybe do some Hat Trick if it helps you. A quick note, try to take your FL under realistic conditions. For instance, take the test at the same time as you're scheduled. You may also want to drive to a library, hopefully one with people typing.

Hello all!

I'm new here but I've lurked for the last few weeks and tried to pick up some motivation or advice for the MCAT, which I've registered to take on the 6th of August.

My supplies were purchased something like 6 months ago, but I never touched them until the start of the summer. "Content Review" seemed to drag on endlessly because I couldn't seem to read much of anything for extended periods of time, but I got it done.

For reference, the only book I bought was the Kaplan MCAT Premier 2010-2011 Edition, which I read cover to cover (minus the practice questions).

I just finished the AAMC FL3 today, with scores of 11PS 11BS 13VR. This was my first practice test and I was fairly happy with the scores, until I read that this one was significantly easier than any other FLs.

With just over 3 weeks to go, here are my questions:

1) How would you recommend I break down my studying? More exams or more content review? Is there some kind of schedule I should follow for the last few weeks to make up for the previous two (lackluster) months?
2) How significant is the difference in difficulty between FL3 and other FLs or the actual MCAT? As someone who is aiming for a 37 or higher, what can I do to make up the difference at achieve my goals?

AlphaMagnum, I'm not SN2 but I think he would agree with my suggestions.

With 3 weeks left you definitely want to be doing as many practice tests as you can. Do a FL every few (3-4) days and make sure to review them thoroughly and brushing up on any areas you seem to be weak in. Content review has very little benefit once you reach a certain level of understanding. Since you seemed to do pretty well on AAMC3 (even though it is easier) you will probably benefit more by doing FL tests under realistic testing conditions. Reviewing each question will be the biggest part in improving your score.

FL3 is known as being easier, but try not to think about scores so much. Just use every test as an opportunity to improve. You have a good amount of time before your test, so you goals are very attainable.

Sn2

-You say that ordering the BR tests is a hassle. Is it still? I thought they send you the exams to your email upon purchase, do they not ?

-Also, in regards to doing 4 verbal passages a day, do you recommend correcting them in the same day or the next ?

-Lastly, what if you get behind in one of the days, do you make it up in the break day ?

Thanks alot

Last edited:
Sn2 guide doesn't have you take your first FL until a while into it.

I was wondering if it's wise to take a FL before you begin studying just to figure out what your strong sections are vs. weak sections.

SN2ed,

This fall, I will be attending a bs/md program that restricts its students from taking the MCAT until they have completed FIVE semesters at the undergraduate college (summer, etc. not included). This means that the earliest I can take it is the January during junior year; assuming I want to have everything done and ready early (By June at the latest) to apply during the regular cycle, it looks like I will have to take the MCAT with a full course load.

Do you have any advice for me? Students in the past in this kind of situation have attempted to take as easy a course load as possible during the first semester of the junior year, using that semester to study. I plan to pick a 4 month window before the January test to study hard.

Usually, how long does each day of studying take?

Also, can some ppl post their scores after using this method?

Usually, how long does each day of studying take?

Also, can some ppl post their scores after using this method?

Scores for people who have used this are on the first page, scroll down a bit and you will see. Also be aware there are also a lot of people who used this schedule that didn't do well and therefore did not post their scores.

Each day varies so much by what section you are doing and also between individuals. People in this forum hate giving an exact number of hours because we all work at differently. Some days take less than 2 hrs, some days take over 6. Just fyi.

Hi,

I have my mcat on Sept 8 and I haen't been practising enough of verbal due to some issues. I did about 5 test from ek 101 with an average of 9. I finally got TPR verbal from a friend. Should I try to finish TPR before EK101. I feel that if I stick with EK I might not have enough time fore TPR. What do you guys think.

Anyone know if there is a significant difference between the 4 month schedule and the 3 month schedule? Is the 4 month plan the same as the 3 month plan other than the fact that it's stretched out so less amount of work per day? Or do you cover more materials in the 4 month plan than the 3 month plan?

Thanks!

Thank you SN2ed for creating and sharing this schedule. I just barely finish reading all previous pages of post before I posted this question. I have a couple old FL that were given to me before 2000. I just remember having them. Should I buy the FL again or can I use these really old ones? Have the newer FL been formatted for computer CBT?

Thanks again.

Thank you SN2ed for creating and sharing this schedule. I just barely finish reading all previous pages of post before I posted this question. I have a couple old FL that were given to me before 2000. I just remember having them. Should I buy the FL again or can I use these really old ones? Have the newer FL been formatted for computer CBT?

Thanks again.

Personally, I think you should definitely purchase the new FLs. The new FL's are all CBT and are very similar to the actual CBT software used on the actual mcat. It will probably be very important to get use to the format. Also, a lot of the older material has become somewhat outdated. Many have stated that the latest AAMC practice tests more closely resemble the actual tests these days.

You don't have to completely trash the free FL you have. Instead, you should try to incorporate those into your schedule before you start taking the newer CBTs. More practice never hurts.

I'd like to encourage others to use this study plan.
I've finished up the content review and am currently taking my AAMC practice tests. So far I've taken AAMC 3 and 4 and scored a 33 and 38, respectively.
The piece of SN2ed's advice that I would like to emphasize is doing all of your practice passages under timed conditions. I've typically been limiting my time per passage to 6.5 minutes.
Practicing under timed conditions has allowed me to speed through my AAMC FLs. On AAMC 4, I finished the PS with 19 minutes remaining, VR with 14 minutes remaining, and BS with 17 minutes remaining. This allows me to go through every question and double check my answers. Additionally, I'm sure I'll end up going slower on test day so having this large amount of extra time will undoubtably serve as a good buffer preventing myself from running out of time.

tl;dr: If you're debating whether or not to follow SN2ed's study schedule... DO IT!

I'd like to encourage others to use this study plan.
I've finished up the content review and am currently taking my AAMC practice tests. So far I've taken AAMC 3 and 4 and scored a 33 and 38, respectively.
The piece of SN2ed's advice that I would like to emphasize is doing all of your practice passages under timed conditions. I've typically been limiting my time per passage to 6.5 minutes.
Practicing under timed conditions has allowed me to speed through my AAMC FLs. On AAMC 4, I finished the PS with 19 minutes remaining, VR with 14 minutes remaining, and BS with 17 minutes remaining. This allows me to go through every question and double check my answers. Additionally, I'm sure I'll end up going slower on test day so having this large amount of extra time will undoubtably serve as a good buffer preventing myself from running out of time.

tl;dr: If you're debating whether or not to follow SN2ed's study schedule... DO IT!

Just a quick question. Did you follow the 3 month or the 4 month plan? If so, on average how many hours a day do you spend per day with the plan? I am thinking about starting the 4 month plan, and devote 3-4 hrs each day. Any suggestions?

The verbal workbook is all passages and the verbal reasoning & writing review also has "strategies".

By any chance, do you know how good the quality of the verbal reasoning & writing review book is compared to the verbal workbook? Are they exactly the same but the verbal reasoning & writing review book also has the strategies?

One final question. Should I be using TPR strategies or just their passages?

Thanks

By any chance, do you know how good the quality of the verbal reasoning & writing review book is compared to the verbal workbook? Are they exactly the same but the verbal reasoning & writing review book also has the strategies?

One final question. Should I be using TPR strategies or just their passages?

Thanks

The verbal workbook has 72 passages, I think. The verbal reasoning & writing review book has much less. Not sure exactly how many, but I think SN2ed makes a point of it on the first page. As far as strategies go, do whatever feels best. TPR strategy involves mapping just like Kaplan and I find that too much of a hassle and consumes a lot of time. If you try it and it works for you, by all means use it. :)

The verbal workbook has 72 passages, I think. The verbal reasoning & writing review book has much less. Not sure exactly how many, but I think SN2ed makes a point of it on the first page. As far as strategies go, do whatever feels best. TPR strategy involves mapping just like Kaplan and I find that too much of a hassle and consumes a lot of time. If you try it and it works for you, by all means use it. :)

Ah, ok. I read that part on SDN2ed post but got confused.

Okay so I will be taking the MCAT in January so for now I am starting to read the New Yorker and Economist. I also order the moral issue book which should be arriving soon. I am not sure what I am suppose to do with each article to practice for the verbal. Any advice would be appreciated

Okay so I will be taking the MCAT in January so for now I am starting to read the New Yorker and Economist. I also order the moral issue book which should be arriving soon. I am not sure what I am suppose to do with each article to practice for the verbal. Any advice would be appreciated

I am currently reading New Yorker and the Economist on a daily basis. And I am also preparing to take the January MCAT. I think the reading is mostly to get you trained and become acquainted with reading in general. Since there is a time limit for the MCAT, I would recommend reading the articles with a certain pace (speed reading) and at the same time understand what the article is talking about. It all comes down to just practice, practice and practice. The more you read, the faster you will be able to read and understand the content.

Try to figure out the main idea of each article. Just reading them and trying to grasp the main idea(s) will really help to improve verbal.

I've kinda ditched the EK bio and just read BR all the way.

Was this plan exceptable?

I used the EK bio review book. I thought it was ok BUT like all other EK books, it assumes you have a relatively strong background on the subjects and will be quite vague at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.