Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
so I just finished my pre reqs and I want to start practicing now and take the mcat in january, do you guys suggest I start now or what? it would give me 8 months so technically I can do the material two times over, does that sound like a good idea or no?

Hey guys quick question.....on the day where you have to re read the passages and do the EK1001....how many EK 1001 questions are you doing for each subject? I know it says 1/3 but i believe there are around 150 question for each subject....

some one please help....

I managed to get my hands on clean TPRH verbal book :) but now I am confused on how much of the problem I should do each day. I have both EK 101 and TPRH verbal. TPRH verbal have only 43 practice passages and 4 practices tests. Should I do 1-2 passages from TPRH on one day and the next day do 1-2 passages from EK101 and alternate everyday or do 1 passage from each book every day?

Also it seems that new TBR physics have only 7 passages, I guess now we only do 1,4,7

Members don't see this ad :)
xcleex - treat the 25 practice questions in physics as passages as well (there are 3 passages in the 25 questions and 7 in the 52 question sections). So do #1 from the first section, and 1,4,7 from the second section.

I have the same question regarding verbal.

Also, is anyone here doing poorly (below 50%) on BR Bio passages due to the attention to detail in comparison to reading EK, as well as not directly matching what was covered in the EK chapter? In comparison, I got a 75% on the EK 30 minute exam.

cardio89- I have been doing 1/3 of the 120-150 problems that are provided on the covered topics. It seems like a lot but goes by fast since they aren't passages.

so I just finished my pre reqs and I want to start practicing now and take the mcat in january, do you guys suggest I start now or what? it would give me 8 months so technically I can do the material two times over, does that sound like a good idea or no?

Can someone please respond? :x

Hey guys, for the verbal Reasoning 101 passages, do you think it helps to read the explanations for why the wrong answers you didn't choose are wrong? And typicalIndian, calm down man, that is a bad idea because you're going to run out of practice material on the list 4 months before your mcat and will probably peak well before you take the test and then you will end up getting a lower score at the end of the 8 months. Just have fun for now and follow the schedule when your mcat gets close.

Hey guys, for the verbal Reasoning 101 passages, do you think it helps to read the explanations for why the wrong answers you didn't choose are wrong? And typicalIndian, calm down man, that is a bad idea because you're going to run out of practice material on the list 4 months before your mcat and will probably peak well before you take the test and then you will end up getting a lower score at the end of the 8 months. Just have fun for now and follow the schedule when your mcat gets close.

Ok thanks and sry lol... Just really confused is all

No point in repeating the schedule, you'll do passages and exams that you've used before and inflate your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why EK 1001 Bio isn't suggested in this schedule?

I was wondering this too. A few amazon reviews say there are a lot of mistakes in it, and I think somewhere in the thread someone (SN2ed?) said that the EK 1001 bio passages were easy, but not sure whether that's the consensus...anyone know?

Going to add this to the FAQ:

Why don't you recommend EK Bio 1001?

First and foremost, it was removed after numerous posts and threads stating how it did not resemble the current MCAT and that BR Bio was closest. Over the past couple years, BS has moved towards a heavy critical thinking/passage analysis aspect similar in style to VR. Unfortunately, EK Bio 1001 does not focus much on critical thinking/passage analysis and instead relies more on recalling the relevant content. That does not mean there is no critical thinking involved, but it doesn't do it to the same degree as BR Bio or TPRH SW.

Additionally, EK Bio 1001 has always been too easy which can give you a false sense of security. It's passage questions are fairly simple and straight forward. Conversely, BR Bio is tougher than the current MCAT and offers good explanations for their answers which will help to solve future difficult passages.

Another problem is that supposedly there is a lengthy errata listing. However, you cannot access the errata unless you pay EK to use its forums.

Bottom line, BR Bio passages are closer to the current MCAT, while EK Bio 1001 is similar to the older MCAT (ex AAMC 3).

Last edited:
SN2ED,

Thanks for the awesome schedule, I do find that the EK 1001 are very easy and I can definitely see how someone could get a false sense of security statement.

Quick Question: I'm just finishing up week 2 of your schedule but I'm finding it really difficult to do all the readings on day 6 and not get thrown off for the whole week due to not finishing day 6's work. I'm contemplating just reading the EK chapters instead of BR because they seem easier to get through. Would you recommend such a substitution? Do you have any other advice of how I can adjust better? I'm registered for the Aug 23rd mcat and I really want to be ready for it and do well.

Hey sn2ed! Thank you so much for this amazing schedule! I will definitely be putting your post to use =)
Sorry if you've already answered this in previous posts, but I bought the complete examkrackers study package before i came across this post. I just ordered the BR review books today and I am planning to get all the other books you recommend. How can I incorporate the whole set of examkrackers into your schedule? Unfortunately I came across your post a week or two too late and now I'll be a week behind schedule =( Also, these examkrackers books I have would not be good substitutes for the EK 1001 series correct? My understanding is that those books are mainly for practice problems...

SN2ed- thanks for the response on the EK Bio. Currently on day 18, thinking I might swap out the older AAMC exams in the schedule for the Kaplan CBTs that I have. Any thoughts on this?

So Im on like day 5 and after spending many hours studying each day... I am struggling to only getting 40-60% of the questions right, even after just reviewing the material. Is it this normal to do poorly on the passages when first you just start the schedule?

For the re-read days, has anybody just read the corresponding chapters in EK? I'm trying to stick to only TBR for the re-read days but I'm failing miserably at completing all the chapters in just that 1 day.

For the re-read days, has anybody just read the corresponding chapters in EK? I'm trying to stick to only TBR for the re-read days but I'm failing miserably at completing all the chapters in just that 1 day.

What I've been doing for the re-read days has been to re-read my (extensive) notes from the first time around, while following along in the BR book and rewriting things that I didn't remember.
I figure I'm getting more out of the time I put in and it ensures that I don't get behind in the schedule. Keep in mind with this strategy these re-read days are still definitely the longest of the week.

Rereading shouldn't be done too intensely on re-read days. Just go through the chapter and refresh on ideas, skimming it at a good pace. You already know the material (hopefully) so there is no point in reading in great detail. Just make sure to take your time on the topics that you are not so confident in. It would be stupid to really work through the chapter again thoroughly if you are already strong in something.

I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered, but I couldn't find it after searching for about an hour...

I accidentally bought the TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review instead of the Verbal Workbook. From what I have read the difference between the two books is that the workbook has practice questions.

I have started reading the TPR Verbal book and noticed that the strategy is COMPLETELY different from the EK Verbal 101 book. EK basically says read the passage and then answer the questions. Don't skip around, don't go back to the passage. TPR has a ton of skipping around, note taking, etc. strategy.

Which strategy is recommended??

Is it supposed to be the EK strategy using the TPR practice passages? Is this a result of me buying the wrong book or am I just confused?

Thanks!!

Kat

I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered, but I couldn't find it after searching for about an hour...

I accidentally bought the TPR Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review instead of the Verbal Workbook. From what I have read the difference between the two books is that the workbook has practice questions.

I have started reading the TPR Verbal book and noticed that the strategy is COMPLETELY different from the EK Verbal 101 book. EK basically says read the passage and then answer the questions. Don't skip around, don't go back to the passage. TPR has a ton of skipping around, note taking, etc. strategy.

Is it supposed to be the EK strategy using the TPR practice passages? Is this a result of me buying the wrong book or am I just confused?

Thanks!!

Kat

Each of the companies have their own strategies. TPR/Kaplan have mapping, TBR has previewing questions, and EK has the reading the passage for main idea strategy. There isn't one best strategy, but whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I started this about a month ago (May 12th) so I am about 1/3 of the way through the schedule now. It has been great so far. A lot of work but I can feel it starting to pay off - especially on Verbal. Doing those VR passages every single day helps a ton! Everyone should try their absolute hardest to track down TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook. That along with EK 101 has really helped me. TBR for science is also great as well!

Thanks for the awesome schedule!

Thanks!!

Kat

Like Tman5890 said, I think its important to find the strategy that works best for you. For example, I am not personally fond of mapping because I waste time thinking about something to "write down." But, mapping might really work for you. What is important is to get practice using that strategy on passages that actually resemble the actual MCAT. EK 101 and TPRHL Verbal offer the best possible practice VR passages. Like I said above, I would really recommend tracking down the TPRHL verbal workbook.

thanks for the responses... I am going to give mapping a try because the EK method didn't work too well for me the last 2 times I took the MCAT... I am a slow reader so I'm not sure if it will work for me, but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point!

P.S. I did buy the Verbal Workbook after realizing I had bought the wrong one. Only cost me $230 on Amazon to get one with no writing!!:eek:

P.S. I did buy the Verbal Workbook after realizing I had bought the wrong one. Only cost me $230 on Amazon to get one with no writing!!:eek:

Holy crap, I hope it's worth the $230. If you got a bad copy call amazon since they're really good at taking care of their customers.

Wow that price is insane. You guys should ask TPR to release their Verbal Workbook. They could make a killing off of it.

Adding this to the FAQ:

WOW TPRH Verbal Workbook COSTS THAT MUCH?!?!?

First off, yes, it is a great resource and if you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd pick it up. While it may cost a ton, you can recoup some of the cost by reselling it later. Just make sure you don't write in it. Also, so everyone knows, ANY year for the TPRH Verbal Workbook is fine. Once TPR switched to their Hyperlearning series, they haven't made significant changes to their any of their material (it's all very good material at that).

I've looked into some other verbal material, but unfortunately, nothing has come close to the number of passages in the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

Here's what I looked at so far:

- EK Verbal Reasoning & Math Tech, 9 passages: $14
- Has past AAMC passages. I think they're from AAMC #1 or 2
http://www.amazon.com/ExamKrackers-...niques/dp/1893858480/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

- AAMC Official MCAT Guide, ~7 passages I think: $10 when bought as a bundle with a FL
- Also has about the same number of passages for the sciences
https://members.aamc.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?webcode=COEBndlSearch

- TPR's MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review, ~26 passages I think: $23
- I believe they're the same passages as those in the TPRH Verbal Workbook, but I'm really not sure. Hopefully, they're the same or at least the same level of quality.
- MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR VERBAL STRATEGY IT IS HORRIBLE!
http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Reasoning-Writing-Graduate-Preparation/dp/0375427961/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Total: ~42 passages for $47

It's not great, but it does give you an average of 2 passages per day.

Wow that price is insane. You guys should ask TPR to release their Verbal Workbook. They could make a killing off of it.

Adding this to the FAQ:

First off, yes, it is a great resource and if you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd pick it up. While it may cost a ton, you can recoup some of the cost by reselling it later. Just make sure you don't write in it. Also, so everyone knows, ANY year for the TPRH Verbal Workbook is fine. Once TPR switched to their Hyperlearning series, they haven't made significant changes to their any of their material (it's all very good material at that).

I've looked into some other verbal material, but unfortunately, nothing has come close to the number of passages in the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

http://www.amazon.com/ExamKrackers-...niques/dp/1893858480/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

- AAMC Official MCAT Guide, ~7 passages I think: $10 when bought as a bundle with a FL

- I believe they're the same passages as those in the TPRH Verbal Workbook, but I'm really not sure. Hopefully, they're the same or at least the same level of quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Reasoning-Writing-Graduate-Preparation/dp/0375427961/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Thanks for this! More practice material for verbal :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002CZJKE8/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Those prices are insane.

But here is my question, I didn't read all 32 pages of this thread, but, how many people are getting straight up raped by the BR Bio passages. I'm following the schedule and doing the EK Bio book for the material, and then going on to the list of the passages in the BR Bio. Did the first 12 passages today (which is a lot!) and got mutilated. Missing 4-5 out of 7 in many passages. I'm not having any issues with any of the other BR passages, but Bio, OMG, ugh! Is this the case with a lot of you guys???

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002CZJKE8/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Those prices are insane.

But here is my question, I didn't read all 32 pages of this thread, but, how many people are getting straight up raped by the BR Bio passages. I'm following the schedule and doing the EK Bio book for the material, and then going on to the list of the passages in the BR Bio. Did the first 12 passages today (which is a lot!) and got mutilated. Missing 4-5 out of 7 in many passages. I'm not having any issues with any of the other BR passages, but Bio, OMG, ugh! Is this the case with a lot of you guys???

Yes BR Bio is tough, yet time and time again, people that have taken recent MCAT administrations say it's great prep.

Here's a thread from 6/16 MCAT test takers were a couple discuss BR Bio: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831050

Adding this to the FAQ:

Hey SN2ed thanks for your schedule I'm using it right now and I'm currently on day 12. Got a little behind (i swear no more partying) so been doing 2 chapters for 2 days in a row (been a killer).

But I'd like to add my tip to help out others. For The Princeton Hyperlearning verbal workbook I got a new one for $15 from the Princeton center themselves.

How (you must know how the company works):
The Princeton Review WILL NOT sell their books separate from the program no matter what, this is their rule. HOWEVER, what you can do is "say" that you already took the class but lost your book and that you wish to "request a replacement" and it'll be 15 dollars for a new workbook.
*note I am not condoning any lying just helping those who have already "Taken" the course :)

My Story:
Be aggressive but nice. For me I told them that I took the class back in the bay, and when I moved down to San Diego I lost it. Told them that I wanted to review it, and said if I could get a replacement. The representative said sure but there is a replacement fee. I was thinking oh man I hope its not like 50, but she said 15!
If one branch doesn't work for you try another. Remember be nice but persistent and look nice too, work that charm on the lady rep (or if your a girl the guy rep):love:

Anyways just my 15 dollar input, hopefully this helped out anyone trying to obtain the workbook. 2 of my other friends have done this all at the same branch, so maybe my branch just doesn't care. GLHS

Hey SN2ed thanks for your schedule I'm using it right now and I'm currently on day 12. Got a little behind (i swear no more partying) so been doing 2 chapters for 2 days in a row (been a killer).

But I'd like to add my tip to help out others. For The Princeton Hyperlearning verbal workbook I got a new one for $15 from the Princeton center themselves.

How (you must know how the company works):
The Princeton Review WILL NOT sell their books separate from the program no matter what, this is their rule. HOWEVER, what you can do is "say" that you already took the class but lost your book and that you wish to "request a replacement" and it'll be 15 dollars for a new workbook.
*note I am not condoning any lying just helping those who have already "Taken" the course :)

My Story:
Be aggressive but nice. For me I told them that I took the class back in the bay, and when I moved down to San Diego I lost it. Told them that I wanted to review it, and said if I could get a replacement. The representative said sure but there is a replacement fee. I was thinking oh man I hope its not like 50, but she said 15!
If one branch doesn't work for you try another. Remember be nice but persistent and look nice too, work that charm on the lady rep (or if your a girl the guy rep):love:

Anyways just my 15 dollar input, hopefully this helped out anyone trying to obtain the workbook. 2 of my other friends have done this all at the same branch, so maybe my branch just doesn't care. GLHS

Haha, seems like a pretty sweet way to get it if you took the course. Too much lying for us that haven't taken it :oops:

This looks like a great framework for studying, but I have a question: since the most common time to take the MCAT is at the end of junior year, how can we find 3 free months before the test?? I really want to use this plan, but I don't know how it will be possible since I will be taking a heavy course load. Would the 4 month plan be light enough to work in with a full schedule of classes?

This looks like a great framework for studying, but I have a question: since the most common time to take the MCAT is at the end of junior year, how can we find 3 free months before the test?? I really want to use this plan, but I don't know how it will be possible since I will be taking a heavy course load. Would the 4 month plan be light enough to work in with a full schedule of classes?

Summer is 3 months, is that not "free(three) months" :D before the test?
unless you plan to take summer courses, nothing is better than the summer from junior to senior year

does anyone have this schedule modified for 2 month plan?? Because I realized my plan wasn't working and I was being very inefficient and not improving, so I need to change everything and I guess everyone said this is a good start and organized and efficient plan...please help!

Message me or post the 2 month condensed version as a month went by and my study plan is NOT working:(

Great guide, SN2ed.

I have a question about schedule rearrangement. I ordered my books late and did not expect TBR books to take roughly a month to arrive. Due to this problem I have 15 days less than your 90 day schedule. To be precise, I only have 82 days.

I know that you do not support abridging your schedule any further, but if you would cut it, what days would you remove first?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Summer is 3 months, is that not "free(three) months" :D before the test?
unless you plan to take summer courses, nothing is better than the summer from junior to senior year

But assuming you take the test in March or so of junior year, is it really a good idea to be studying 6-8 months before taking the actual test? That sounds like a bad idea to me...

I only have 60 days and need to skip/cancel/combine a few days of your schedule...I've already studied on my own since December so I feel like I can skip some stuff but I don't know what to skip?!

I only have 60 days and need to skip/cancel/combine a few days of your schedule...I've already studied on my own since December so I feel like I can skip some stuff but I don't know what to skip?!

Whatever you do, don't skip practicing passages. Do practice passages everyday and by the time you get to 30 days start doing FLs.

Is there anyway to incorporate this schedule with TPR course? They have their own schedule so I will have to follow that, but following both schedules at the same time seems like too much.

I'm not in a rush to take the MCAT, so I was thinking of following this schedule this fall semester after already completing TPR. The problem is that I'll be taking a full course load, so I might not study as much as I need to and will gradually forget the material I previously reviewed.

What do you guys think is the best thing for me to do?

sprintuser, I am in the same boat. I have decided not to follow the TPR class schedule because it is going too fast for me in terms of content review. I am just sticking to this schedule. I do go to class occasionally because of the ICC passage review but I don't think it is worth it to follow their schedule because it is based on the TPRH books (I am only really using the bio but the rest have great questions that can be incorporated into this schedule).

sprintuser, I am in the same boat. I have decided not to follow the TPR class schedule because it is going too fast for me in terms of content review. I am just sticking to this schedule. I do go to class occasionally because of the ICC passage review but I don't think it is worth it to follow their schedule because it is based on the TPRH books (I am only really using the bio but the rest have great questions that can be incorporated into this schedule).

I don't think I can get myself to do that after paying about $2000 lol. I agree that the pace is quick and there's a lot of work, but this schedule seems like just as much work. The only reason why TPR may take more time is because of the 2.5 hour lectures, which seem to basically be a repeat (alright sometimes explained differently) of the review books.

That's true, but it is either TPR's schedule or this one. You can't combine the two. It also depends on when you are taking the exam as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.