break between PGY1 and PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever taken a gap or know of anyone who has taken a gap between PGY1 and PGY2? if so, what were the reasons and was it difficult to apply and get interviews after a gap?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who got married in between and took ~2 weeks off. And another who took a year off in between to have a baby.

Is your intention to take a break of a few weeks? Or a year?

I personally finished pgy1 at 5pm June 30th, went home, packed the final things, drove all night and started pgy2 at 8am July 1st after a shower. Most PGY1s will accommodate you finishing a few days early if you need to move (mine did not, obviously). My PGY2 gave me the option to start the following Monday, but I felt like it was important socially to be there from day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I took two years off after my PGY1 to pay back a service obligation to the government in exchange for a scholarship. I'm interviewing for PGY2s right now and it didn't hinder me getting interviews at all. It probably actually helped me because it demonstrates dedication to pursuing a specialty and gives you work experience compared to other candidates. Just stay active while you work and keep adding to your CV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who got married in between and took ~2 weeks off. And another who took a year off in between to have a baby.

Is your intention to take a break of a few weeks? Or a year?

I personally finished pgy1 at 5pm June 30th, went home, packed the final things, drove all night and started pgy2 at 8am July 1st after a shower. Most PGY1s will accommodate you finishing a few days early if you need to move (mine did not, obviously). My PGY2 gave me the option to start the following Monday, but I felt like it was important socially to be there from day 1.

I meant at least a year off. I just had cardiology rotation which I unexpectedly fell in love with and I am considering applying for next year since this year is too late

I meant at least a year off. I just had cardiology rotation which I unexpectedly fell in love with and I am considering applying for next year since this year is too late

Honestly that year off can only help things. It shows you really want it, and is much more reasonable than trying to start a few weeks or months late.

Just be prepared to tell everyone at PPS why you delayed the year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend who took a year "off" between school and PGY-1 to deal with a family situation. That person was a real gunner, so they didn't have any trouble getting interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile