MPH Boston University - MPH Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raja_MX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for the accepted students for BU. Mostly to discuss any questions that people have and share info.

Personally, I've been trying to get in touch with current/ former students at BU ( especially the international ones) to get a feel of the program.

I'm still undecided re: BU

Members don't see this ad.

There's a BU's admitted students page on facebook, which is very active. I deferred my admission last year, two weeks into classes, due to unexpected financial problems. People found roommates and friends before classes started through the facebook page. Overall, you'll love the feel of the school. Everyone is just SO NICE. Congrats on your admission! Boston is a great city.

Boston is a great city.

As an international student, that bit sticks out. I was in Boston in Feb last year, and it was lovely ( even with the cold). Yeah, I'm part of the FB group. I missed the virtual chat today because of the time difference. Sigh. As an aside, What sort of ratio did you have in your classes?

To be honest, my big decision is between Boston & Michigan. The latter is more expensive, but I'm hoping for some scholarship info.

Which concentration are you in?

Members don't see this ad :)
As an international student, that bit sticks out. I was in Boston in Feb last year, and it was lovely ( even with the cold). Yeah, I'm part of the FB group. I missed the virtual chat today because of the time difference. Sigh. As an aside, What sort of ratio did you have in your classes?

To be honest, my big decision is between Boston & Michigan. The latter is more expensive, but I'm hoping for some scholarship info.

Which concentration are you in?

What did you mean by ratio? Like how many students per cohort? I was in Cohort B, which was roughly 50-ish students. I was in Healthcare Management concentration (which starts in 2nd semester), but we had overall core classes in the 1st semester. Michigan also has a great program, so I can see why you'd be in a tough spot, making a decision. Both schools have active career services who will help you get jobs later, so whatever you end up choosing, you'll have no regrets!

Just thought I'd leave a comment letting people know that I currently live in Boston and am happy to answer any questions regarding housing/neighborhoods. It can be pretty difficult to find something student-budget friendly but not surrounded by undergrads. Feel free to PM anytime

Just thought I'd leave a comment letting people know that I currently live in Boston and am happy to answer any questions regarding housing/neighborhoods. It can be pretty difficult to find something student-budget friendly but not surrounded by undergrads. Feel free to PM anytime

I lived in Brookline when I was there earlier, but that was because I was working at BWH. It's a lovely neighbourhood, but that was short term. Pretty expensive though.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought I would join in on this thread! I'm pretty much set on going to BU and would love to meet my future classmates :)

For anyone considering BU, I decided on it because of how much the school fit me. They place such an emphasis on social justice in public health, and this is what got me interested in public health in the first place, so I just fell in love with the school. Plus, Boston doesn't seem like a half bad place to live ;)

However, right now, I'm kinda freaking out about finding part time work and a place to live that my fiance and I will be able to afford. We've been looking at places in Quincy since this is equidistant between the campus and where he will likely be working in Hingham. What are people's thoughts on this? I'm worried about the long commute, but if I'm able to finagle my schedule to only have to do it a few times per week, I'd be okay with it. Alternatively, we could try to find somewhere closer to campus, and he would just drive to work, but I'm not sure if this is the best idea.

Thought I would join in on this thread! I'm pretty much set on going to BU and would love to meet my future classmates :)

For anyone considering BU, I decided on it because of how much the school fit me. They place such an emphasis on social justice in public health, and this is what got me interested in public health in the first place, so I just fell in love with the school. Plus, Boston doesn't seem like a half bad place to live ;)

However, right now, I'm kinda freaking out about finding part time work and a place to live that my fiance and I will be able to afford. We've been looking at places in Quincy since this is equidistant between the campus and where he will likely be working in Hingham. What are people's thoughts on this? I'm worried about the long commute, but if I'm able to finagle my schedule to only have to do it a few times per week, I'd be okay with it. Alternatively, we could try to find somewhere closer to campus, and he would just drive to work, but I'm not sure if this is the best idea.

Quincy may seem like smack down in the middle for you two in terms of distance, but the commute duration won't be the same for you both. Boston traffic is dreadful, so keeping unexpected delays in mind, you guys might wanna move slightly closer to Boston, like Jamaica Plains, so it doesn't tire you out, commuting all day. All the suburbs south of Boston hardly has any traffic and plenty of free parking, so he could always drive to work, but you'll have to rely on public transport. Parking in Boston is a nightmare, and if you used BU's parking garages, it'll cost you around $35 a day. JP is where majority of BU students live anyway since it's relatively cheaper compared to most places in/around Boston, so you'll be around other students (not sure if that's a plus for you).

Quincy may seem like smack down in the middle for you two in terms of distance, but the commute duration won't be the same for you both. Boston traffic is dreadful, so keeping unexpected delays in mind, you guys might wanna move slightly closer to Boston, like Jamaica Plains, so it doesn't tire you out, commuting all day. All the suburbs south of Boston hardly has any traffic and plenty of free parking, so he could always drive to work, but you'll have to rely on public transport. Parking in Boston is a nightmare, and if you used BU's parking garages, it'll cost you around $35 a day. JP is where majority of BU students live anyway since it's relatively cheaper compared to most places in/around Boston, so you'll be around other students (not sure if that's a plus for you).

Thank you for the help! Yeah, I think we're going to end up living in one of the neighborhoods south of Boston since those will be cheaper, and he'll just have to drive to work. I am under no illusion that I'll be able to drive into BU every day nor do I even want to try that feat :p

@beeboops I PM'd you re: your last paragraph

Do you mind sharing? I think it'll be useful to people who come across this thread, not to mention me!

Been reading up about BU all day - Sigh, weighing up universities is no fun at all.

@Raja_MX sure! Here's what I said:

Quincy is nice & affordable, but if you're planning to use the MBTA to get to BU, your commute will be long. You would take the red line all the way into the city and transfer to the green line to head west towards BU... my guess is this would take about an hour each way (and be pretty impossible in snow), which would decrease the number of hours you're available for part time work. Use Google maps to check exactly how long it'd be. I'd suggest you guys live closer to the school & make your boyfriend reverse commute. Even living just above the Braintree split on the red line (so in Dorchester near the JFK or Andrew stops) would make a huge difference in your commute time, especially coming home.

And here's what I'll add into the conversation:

- Not all T lines were created equal. IMO, blue>red>orange>green>silver in terms of speed and efficiency. The green line is a glorified trolley and the silver line is really a bus, which the maps do not make obvious.

- Jamaica Plain is a great neighborhood that has been rapidly gentrifying for the past 10ish years. While there is still student-affordable housing, especially near Forest Hills and around Centre Street, it can be difficult to come by and you have to strike early for the most popular move-in dates (June 1 and Sept 1). If people are comfortable with it, I'd highly suggest getting roommates. I currently live in JP and am happy to talk rent prices, neighborhoods, etc. over PM. I'll be moving out sometime between July 1-Sept 1.

- Driving in Boston is hell, and no one should plan to drive to classes at BU. I try to avoid driving north of Roxbury at all costs (unless I'm just going through on 93). That said, don't get rid of your car if you already have one and can find a place with a parking spot or easy on street parking. My quality of life improved tremendously when I got a car because the MBTA is very old and inefficient. Things like grocery shopping, going to restaurants, getting to parks, in the JP/Dorchester/Roxbury area are much easier with a vehicle. Or get a Zipcar membership.

- Don't discount the metro-north suburbs. Cambridgeport, Somerville, and even like Malden or Medford may strike a good balance between commute time and affordability. West of BU is unlikely to be in most people's price range-- avoid Brookline, Newton; Waltham is further away but more affordable.

@Raja_MX sure! Here's what I said:

Thanks! Appreciate the info.

I've signed up as a guest on the Off Campus BU Housing website. There are a few places around, but it looks like if I do choose BU, I'll have to stay with up to 3-4 people.

BTW, found this after doing some googling. A Survival Guide written by some former BU students. It's old, and some parts are likely outdated but it might help people not familiar with Boston & other international students

http://www.bu.edu/gso/helpful-links/survival-guide/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm convinced I'll end up at BU. Initially, I thought it was the only school I'd apply to, but then I tacked on two more and am still waiting to hear from one of them. My mom has many friends and colleagues (most or all of whom are medical professionals) that have gone there and loved it. Regardless, I'm excited to move back to the northeast soon and go back to school, wherever that may be.

Hey everyone!

I haven't committed yet but I'm really leaning towards going to Boston for my mph. I'm from California and super unfamiliar with the Boston area. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to live that is fairly safe. I was hoping to live somewhere with a large population of students since I don't know anyone and was really looking forward to making new friends! Also if there is any other tips anyone has for someone totally clueless about the city let me know!

Hey everyone: I was just accepted into a MS program at BU - they said my official acceptance package with notification of any award will arrive by mail in 7-10s days. Does this seem pretty accurate to everyone? Today is the 7th day, so I'm hoping it arrives soon :)

Hey everyone: I was just accepted into a MS program at BU - they said my official acceptance package with notification of any award will arrive by mail in 7-10s days. Does this seem pretty accurate to everyone? Today is the 7th day, so I'm hoping it arrives soon :)

That seems about right. It might be a tad delayed since this Monday was President's Day, and I'm not sure whether BU was closed or not for the holiday. Congrats, btw! :clap:

@Raja_MXQuincy is nice & affordable, but if you're planning to use the MBTA to get to BU, your commute will be long. You would take the red line all the way into the city and transfer to the green line to head west towards BU... my guess is this would take about an hour each way (and be pretty impossible in snow), which would decrease the number of hours you're available for part time work. Use Google maps to check exactly how long it'd be. I'd suggest you guys live closer to the school & make your boyfriend reverse commute. Even living just above the Braintree split on the red line (so in Dorchester near the JFK or Andrew stops) would make a huge difference in your commute time, especially coming home.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine most (if not all) classes folks will be taking are going to be at the med school campus, which is in the South End. So living in Quincy wouldn't be that crazy, just hop on the red line to Andrew and then either walk ~1 mile or take a bus.

btw, accepted the other day for MS in Health Services & System Research! woo. weighing my options now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine most (if not all) classes folks will be taking are going to be at the med school campus, which is in the South End. So living in Quincy wouldn't be that crazy, just hop on the red line to Andrew and then either walk ~1 mile or take a bus.

btw, accepted the other day for MS in Health Services & System Research! woo. weighing my options now.

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm planning to visit Boston in April and will also be looking at apartments at that time and testing out some commute times if anyone wants some insight. For me, personally, affordability is a bigger consideration than convenient commute, so I'm looking at the Dorchester (particularly the Savin Hill) and North Quincy/Quincy Center neighborhoods right now.

Congrats on your acceptance, btw! :D

Oh you're totally right! I didn't realize the public health school was with the med school campus and was assuming people we're going to the Fenway/Kenmore area. Yeah the med campus is much more accessible from the red line than anything else, and the orange line is pretty easy to it as well. I'd recommend people check out Dorchester, Roxbury, and Jamaica Plain.

Hey everyone!

I haven't committed yet but I'm really leaning towards going to Boston for my mph. I'm from California and super unfamiliar with the Boston area. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to live that is fairly safe. I was hoping to live somewhere with a large population of students since I don't know anyone and was really looking forward to making new friends! Also if there is any other tips anyone has for someone totally clueless about the city let me know!

I'm from California as well and went to BU for undergrad. I really enjoyed living in Boston (minus the high rent and months of gloomy weather and snow) as it feels like the majority of people living in Boston are students or young adults. I can't speak for neighborhoods like Dorchester or Jamaica Plains since I haven't lived there, but I know a good amount of people currently living there because rent is cheaper and it's accessible. Your best bet would be living in South End because it's close to the med campus and you can easily walk to class. Living elsewhere, you'd likely have to take the orange line or a bus with a connection or two.

One other thing for people considering living in Fenway, Kenmore, Allston or Brookline (pricey but lovely neighborhood!) - you can take the BU shuttle which connects multiple stops on the undergrad campus to the medical campus. It's much more convenient than taking the bus or the T.

I'm from California as well and went to BU for undergrad. I really enjoyed living in Boston (minus the high rent and months of gloomy weather and snow) as it feels like the majority of people living in Boston are students or young adults. I can't speak for neighborhoods like Dorchester or Jamaica Plains since I haven't lived there, but I know a good amount of people currently living there because rent is cheaper and it's accessible. Your best bet would be living in South End because it's close to the med campus and you can easily walk to class. Living elsewhere, you'd likely have to take the orange line or a bus with a connection or two.

One other thing for people considering living in Fenway, Kenmore, Allston or Brookline (pricey but lovely neighborhood!) - you can take the BU shuttle which connects multiple stops on the undergrad campus to the medical campus. It's much more convenient than taking the bus or the T.

Just wanted to also echo as another BU alum as well I would highly recommend looking into Brookline/Fenway/Allston where you can take the T to the BU bus easily. Also Mission Hill is inexpensive (ish) and you can pick up the BU bus from the Symphony T stop.

Additionally, the 1 bus runs all the way to BMC and BU's medical campus so if you want to try Cambridge life you can do that too :)

The South End is incredibly expensive so keep that in mind during your search!

When exactly is admitted students day??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From http://www.bu.edu/sph/accept/visit-us/:

On-Campus Events
There are many opportunities for you to visit the SPH campus. Visit us for an Accepted Students’ Day or one of our smaller events—whatever works with your schedule. All admitted master’s degree students are invited to these events.

March 18, 9am–5pm, Accepted Students’ Day, 715 Albany Street*
March 27, 10am–1pm, Small Monday Visit, 715 Albany Street
April 7, 9am–5pm, Accepted Students’ Day, 715 Albany Street
April 14, 10am–1pm, Small Friday Visit, 715 Albany Street
May 5, 10am–1pm, Small Friday Visit, 715 Albany
May 19, 10am–1pm, Small Friday Visit, 715 Albany Street

*MS students are encouraged to attend the March 18 Accepted Students’ Day.

Paid my tuition deposit for BU last night! Can't wait to meet you all! :)

Waiting to see how much money Tufts will give me. If it is significantly more than what BU is giving me ill probably go there. If its not ill be at BU!

Has anyone asked for/received a travel grant to attend accepted students' day?

Hi everyone. I have gotten into BSPH MPH program for the Health Law, Policy, and Management track and just wanted to get some thoughts on the school. I have also been admitted to Emory on the same track and know that both places will cost money, where one may cost a bit more but still will be high, but I wanted to see if anyone here could provide a more specific take on how students on this track, during their 2 years, have gotten part-time jobs in health policy and what the job outlook is once we graduate. Thank You :)

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm planning to visit Boston in April and will also be looking at apartments at that time and testing out some commute times if anyone wants some insight. For me, personally, affordability is a bigger consideration than convenient commute, so I'm looking at the Dorchester (particularly the Savin Hill) and North Quincy/Quincy Center neighborhoods right now.

Congrats on your acceptance, btw! :D
Hi I see that you were also consider GWU. What made you pick BU? Thanks!

Hi I see that you were also consider GWU. What made you pick BU? Thanks!

I picked BU because of their dedication to social justice, which is what drew me to the field of public health to begin with. I also just got such a nice vibe from everyone at BU. Not to say that the GW people aren't nice or anything like that, but I went to undergrad in DC and am very, very familiar with GW and their students and not in a very favorable way. Also, it helps that BU gave me more money than GWU. Also, also, I loved the location of BU, and personally speaking, I don't really feel like being in DC for any extended period of time in the next few years, if you catch my drift ;)

Congrats on everyone getting in to all these schools! :banana:

My personal dilemma is that I only applied to UC Berkeley and BU MPH programs (accepted to both), but I don't really know which area/school is best for me.
I'm a California resident so even with the money that BU is giving me, UC Berkeley is still cheaper by a significant amount.
Obviously it will depend, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were. :)
Additionally, someone mentioned a travel grant for BU to visit the school? I haven't gotten any info about that yet... but does that exist?