Boston University MAMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't received it. I was going to ask you the same thing. :/ I wonder if the program would want me less because I'm old....
Hi Doppio! Don't worry, MAMS welcomes all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the situation where I received a confirmation email that my application was complete and would be hearing back about admissions by July 24th. Anyone in the same situation thinking about sending update email? Are you planning to email Dr. Offner or gms-support.bu?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the situation where I received a confirmation email that my application was complete and would be hearing back about admissions by July 24th. Anyone in the same situation thinking about sending update email? Are you planning to email Dr. Offner or gms-support.bu?
I emailed the office, and the admin said the adcom is still deciding. I wonder if it's my MCAT score that they are concerned about..

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed the office, and the admin said the adcom is still deciding. I wonder if it's my MCAT score that they are concerned about..

Thanks for that little bit of information, I know exactly what part of my application they're concerned about lol.

Thanks for that little bit of information, I know exactly what part of my application they're concerned about lol.
Someone got into the program with stats similar to mine, so I don't know why....:( It was maybe my PS or b/c I submitted my app late? Or is it more competitive to get in this year?!?!
The email also said I should get notified within 2 weeks, so we'll see.

Incoming 1st year MAMS student here. Any 2nd year MAMS students have 1st year course syllabus or study guides?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Incoming 1st year MAMS student here. Any 2nd year MAMS students have 1st year course syllabus or study guides?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey! You will get full printed copies at orientation and the online PDFs should be made available soon!

As stated above, you'll either get them at orientation or the first day of class. You'll get a huge stack of loose leaf for each class that you can stick in a binder or get laminated/bound at the fedex across the street.

And just a PSA: for physiology especially, the medical school review guides @ Study Guides » My BUSM » Boston University are VERY helpful. They may have a mistake every now and then, but they are VERY good at helping you to understand what type of information is important to know from the (rather large) study guide.

Does anyone know if they require all three letters of recommendation from faculty members? I know one science faculty letter is required, but I don't know about the other two letters.

Does anyone know if they require all three letters of recommendation from faculty members? I know one science faculty letter is required, but I don't know about the other two letters.

The other evaluations can be from anything- work, volunteer, internship, etc! Just 1 from a science professor.

Hi!

I just wanted some guidance on GRE scores. I took the test today and received a 155 in both sections. That is the 68 percentile for verbal and the 59 percentile for math. BU says they want the 70th for both, but consider scores on a case by case basis. Given that, do you think I should retake the GRE or submit my scores as they are? I am trying to weigh applying now with the scores I have, or retaking it mid October with hopefully higher scores and applying then.

My GPA is 3.2. My school pre-med committee told me my extracurriculars were stellar. I am at one of the top 30 universities.

This is the top program I want to get into.

Thanks!

Hi!

I just wanted some guidance on GRE scores. I took the test today and received a 155 in both sections. That is the 68 percentile for verbal and the 59 percentile for math. BU says they want the 70th for both, but consider scores on a case by case basis. Given that, do you think I should retake the GRE or submit my scores as they are? I am trying to weigh applying now with the scores I have, or retaking it mid October with hopefully higher scores and applying then.

My GPA is 3.2. My school pre-med committee told me my extracurriculars were stellar. I am at one of the top 30 universities.

This is the top program I want to get into.

Thanks!

I would recommend speaking to Dr. Offner or our MAMS administrative coordinator, Ali Grise, about a case by case basis. They can better advise you on your specific situation but, in my experience, we just want to see that you did well on the GRE. It is not the MCAT and your overall application will be weighed more heavily than one test score!

Also, my personal piece of advice would be to focus on your senior year (I'm assuming you're a senior) grades. If you think studying again for the GRE would compromise your academic performance, I would not take it again.

Also, feel free to check out our new thread for the upcoming application cycle! Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

Hello, does anyone know if it is a bad idea to do MAMS without taking Biochemistry as an undergrad? Or do you think it is possible to still do well without it?
I would say ~80% of students have taken biochemistry (I, personally, had not taken it). I think it is definitely still possible to do well, you just might need to do a little extra research on topics that are challenging for you. To emphasize what has been posted previously, the MAMS faculty are so helpful and are always willing to meet with you to go over topics.