Bootcamp QR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.
math-9-27-1.png

The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would add all the triangle areas together first to find the area of the square which would be 72. and since its a square. S^2=72. so each side is (72)^1/2. and then we can just multiply it by 4 to find the perimeter. 4*(72)^1/2. That is the same thing as 4*(36*2)^1/2 and that is equal to 24*(2)^1/2.

Reactions: 1 user
So I
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.
math-9-27-1.png

The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!

So I totally see what you did there, but remember that the sides you solved for (base and height) are not the edges of the square. Here is a picture that might help you visualize it :)

Attachments

• math-9-27-1.jpg
    math-9-27-1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 66